JAE 67/84 build up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work!

Here's a cool vid i found about CF, Kevlar and FG:

My latest SAW tub has CF over S glass, hoping it's "tougher" than straight carbon. Kevlar wudda worked too but I just can't work with that chit.

Broke the last two tubs in a tumble, hope this one survives...

That is why I went with the blend and it looks killer.

DSCN4148.JPG DSCN4149.JPG DSCN4150.JPG
Any pics how it turned out?
The wife had me building a garden this weekend. will get back to it this week.View attachment 278149 View attachment 278149 DSCN4148.JPG DSCN4149.JPG This is the first cut burn and light sand test.
Will spend some more time on it this week.
It will all get a pickle coat of finish epoxy at the end and a razor blade scrape to level it all off.
Was easy and quick to get to this point.
So how much better do you want???????

I'm impressed. Like I said before, Kevlar only frustrated and pissed me off. My reason for using it when I did was because it looked cool. I never figured out how to deal with edges. I trashed the parts.

I'm impressed. Like I said before, Kevlar only frustrated and pissed me off. My reason for using it when I did was because it looked cool. I never figured out how to deal with edges. I trashed the parts.
Thanks.
I have done Carbon fiber before.
Made a .21 size boat from Keps plans and made the tub sides cut out like a truss with CF as a covering.
That boat was light as ****.
Gave that boat to my bud Eric Canto to play with.

DSCN4151.JPG DSCN4152.JPG DSCN4153.JPG
OK got the sides all trim up and the stuffing tube locked in.
Have the boom tube and motor mount holes to open up then comes the finish epoxy work.
I found that if you use the razor blade to trim it up and take your time it makes a good edge.
Then use the torch and seal the treads.
I use my hand to rub the edge behind the torch as I move it.
This seals the ends good.
Will go for the pickle coat tomorrow.
The wife wore me out in the garden this weekend.......LOL

David,

Nice build, it should be a rocket .

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Last edited:
David, really nice build, great stuff for those who may be new to our hobby and don't no where to get started. I'm sure we will see the end result's and maybe some hi speed lake runs. Thanks again Tim

David, really nice build, great stuff for those who may be new to our hobby and don't no where to get started. I'm sure we will see the end result's and maybe some hi speed lake runs. Thanks again Tim
You know it is funny but there are not many build treads on here showing the details of a boat build.
Not every one on here has done this and showing how you do thing that seam simple to you may be a giant hurtle to some.
Sharing is what will promote this hobby to the new comers.
Glad I can help in any way.

You are so right David! I have also put some build stuff on IA and people seem to enjoy seeing the builds. This is my 67 JAE which is a great boat at the lake.

Attachments

• DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 80
DSCN4155.JPG DSCN4156.JPG DSCN4157.JPG DSCN4158.JPG
OK got the servos all mounted.
The steering and Stu Bar Supper needle all rigged up.
Will start on the sponsons build up this week end.

Any seal will work. Rubber will stretch that much to fit the big rod.
Just spit on it first........LOL

DSCN4159.JPG DSCN4160.JPG DSCN4161.JPG Well look what the post man brought me to day.........
This is the 40 boat cowl from Zipkits.
It was a little short so I made a aluminum plat to fill in the gap and stick the cowl under in the front.
It will also keep the tank in the boat when it flips out.
O and it will I promise with me driving it......LOL
Will just put two blind nuts in the tub and use two 4-40 flat head screws to hold it in place.

DSCN4162.JPG DSCN4163.JPG DSCN4164.JPG DSCN4165.JPG DSCN4166.JPG
So this is what I put on the inside of the sponsons for turn fin attaching points.
Thy will be like a box girder system when all the sheets are on.
This along with the carbon/Kevlar on the sides should make for a very strong set up.
Will need to be with the fin I have planed for it.....LOL
5 min epoxy for all the sponson work. Got me the BIG bottles...
It goes fast doing it like this.
Just spreed it out on the wood with a tong depressor and slap it on.
Move it around some to get good contact and then press it by hand. line it all up and stick some weight on it.
The glass makes sure it is all flat and strait when it cures.
Made a template of the blocks so I can find them after the cloth is on it and it is all done.

Last edited:
DSCN4168.JPG DSCN4171.JPG I need some input from those in the know about this boat.
I have one sponson finished and checked the AOA.
The bottom running surface is 3.9 and the top is 1 deg negative.
Is that sound right for a finished sponson?

Back