JAE 45 Rudder Assembly

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Betke

I am building a JAE 45 outrigger. Since others have been running these hulls I was hoping to get some input on what rudder and strut assemlies are needed. On the rudder assembly I would like to know the recommended rudder manufacturer and what the recommended setback is from the transom and the depth of the blade from the hull bottom. I was planning on using a Speedmaster Strut but was unsure of which style is being used.

Hi Jerry, I'll be using a CMDI rudder on mine. Worked well on my Firefighter 45 rigger and gonna move it now to my JAE45. Still building so can't tell you any results.

I am building a JAE 45 outrigger. Since others have been running these hulls I was hoping to get some input on what rudder and strut assemlies are needed. On the rudder assembly I would like to know the recommended rudder manufacturer and what the recommended setback is from the transom and the depth of the blade from the hull bottom. I was planning on using a Speedmaster Strut but was unsure of which style is being used.

Hi Jerry,

Doc and I just finished and ran two new JAE 45" this weekend. We have two 20" just about ready also. We used Speedmaster mini rudder with a mono bracket and a sport 20 extended flat strut with hydro brackets on both class of boats. The boats ran very well and fast.

MVC-001S.JPG MVC-002S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Jerry,

Doc and I just finished and ran two new JAE 45" this weekend. We have two 20" just about ready also. We used Speedmaster mini rudder with a mono bracket and a sport 20 extended flat strut with hydro brackets on both class of boats. The boats ran very well and fast.

View attachment 25226 View attachment 25227 View attachment 25228
Looks good Mark. Wish I could run with you guys in May. Sorry same weekend as our Tunnel Race. But we will see you at the Fall Nationals.

Hi Jerry,

Looks Good Mark!!!

Any chance of a twin JAE :rolleyes:

Steve

Hi Jerry,

Looks Good Mark!!!

Any chance of a twin JAE :rolleyes:

Steve
Don't know right now. My twin is working very well. I have learned a few things that will be passed on to my twins that has been holding me back for a couple of years.

Mark, Thanks for the info. I keep trying to get in touch with CMDI but the e-mail bombs out and no one answeres the phone. Mike (Son) and I talked about using the Speedmaster Mini Rudder but we were not sure if was big enough. Do you use it full length? Jerry

Mark, I forgot to say your boat looks real good. I will say that your boat will never collapse your work bench!!!! I noticed you spit the skid to let the strut protrude through. Has this affected how the skid works?

Mark, I forgot to say your boat looks real good. I will say that your boat will never collapse your work bench!!!! I noticed you spit the skid to let the strut protrude through. Has this affected how the skid works?
Right now we are running full lenght. It looks about right at this lenght. We may have to cut them on the B hydro's we are finishing. The 40 boats have about 3/8" rudder throw and is more that enough to cut two and three bouys. On the strut we were told to get the strut down much as we could and see no problem in the running of the boat on the skid. The boat weights 4 3/4 lbs ready to run.

Nice build Mark.... mine's getting there....

Slotting the ski wasnt where i'm at, though... have you found this works well?..... ie: in a perfect world are you running the strut angle (slotted out) the same angle the ski has?....... my strut starts at the end of the ski and will follow the ski angle to start?.....

The rudder questions of how much setback do you actually have?.... I found on earlier 20 boats that you almost cant have enough in the water, after i'd cut one down......(doh!).... 45 build, has a speedie mounted as low on the transom as it can be feasably done.....

I'd experienced bent rudder bracket problems extending it out that far, also......

Can you give us measurements, say transom to rudder leading edge,... prop leading edge?..... thanks....

Also... my boat is of the 1st generation plans/HG.... yours?.....

How'd testing go?... 1457 around 4" to start for me....... heat racer..... cant wait.... Mike

Nice build Mark.... mine's getting there....

Slotting the ski wasnt where i'm at, though... have you found this works well?..... ie: in a perfect world are you running the strut angle (slotted out) the same angle the ski has?....... my strut starts at the end of the ski and will follow the ski angle to start?.....

The rudder questions of how much setback do you actually have?.... I found on earlier 20 boats that you almost cant have enough in the water, after i'd cut one down......(doh!).... 45 build, has a speedie mounted as low on the transom as it can be feasably done.....

I'd experienced bent rudder bracket problems extending it out that far, also......

Can you give us measurements, say transom to rudder leading edge,... prop leading edge?..... thanks....

Also... my boat is of the 1st generation plans/HG.... yours?.....

How'd testing go?... 1457 around 4" to start for me....... heat racer..... cant wait.... Mike

These were standard Speedmaster parts. A sport 20 flat bottom extended strut with hydro brackets and a mini rudder with a mono bracket. The ski cutout was to get the strut low as I could go. The strut is set flat on the table to the ride level of the bottom of the tub. This build was from the profiles of the current drawings with my construction methods. We are running a 1657 prop on ours.

I had a recommendation from one of my club members to use the ZIPP 21 fixed strut. I measured the one on my JAE 21 and it appears that it would work. Has anyone tried this? Jerry

Thanks Ron. I think this is going to be the way I will go. It has worked out well on my 21. I think it will move the prop back further then what Marks boat has. Ron can you tell me the rudder set back from the transom you will use with this strut. Since I am having problems finding the recommended CMDI Rudder Assembly and the Speedmaster Mini is working for Mark I am thinking of going that way and maybe beefing up the bracket. The load on this rudder has to be extreme!! Mark I have used the ZIPP rudder on my JAE 21. It is almost identical to the SM Mini except the blade is shorter. Mark I like the way you changed from the plans on the rear decking and I assume the bulkheads to move the radio box seal to the inside of the hull. I will be checking out the box size to see if all my radio gear will fit.

Thanks again for both of your inputs, Jerry

Thanks Ron. I think this is going to be the way I will go. It has worked out well on my 21. I think it will move the prop back further then what Marks boat has. Ron can you tell me the rudder set back from the transom you will use with this strut. Since I am having problems finding the recommended CMDI Rudder Assembly and the Speedmaster Mini is working for Mark I am thinking of going that way and maybe beefing up the bracket. The load on this rudder has to be extreme!! Mark I have used the ZIPP rudder on my JAE 21. It is almost identical to the SM Mini except the blade is shorter. Mark I like the way you changed from the plans on the rear decking and I assume the bulkheads to move the radio box seal to the inside of the hull. I will be checking out the box size to see if all my radio gear will fit.

Yes that is what we did on the bulkheads plus cut the height of the transom by cutting a angle from the bulkhead behind motor to the transom. Other than that profiles are the same.

Hey Mr B,

I would normally keep the trailing edge of the rudder even with the drive dog L.E. It's not crictical on the JAE design.Put it where it's comfortable to work on.Won't really matter,This design turns extremely well.

Ron... and Mark both... basically, and per Rod's schematic earlier my inverted speedmaster strut sits even with the ski bottom, ie: the tube is sitting on the edge of the ski, and the strut takes off on that plane from there.....

Mark, so you have your angle at what the tub is, sitting on the table?... I only ask, as, i'd had my 20 boat set, at the angle of the ski same, with a straight edge, and it worked fine.....

I did experience, problems with setback rudders and brackets, on 20 testing, bent, with actually hearing these boats seriously rip a corner, the force on things must be incredible....... measurements always help.....

thanks for that tip, Ron.... I'm gonna do some measurin'..... thanks mike

Ron... and Mark both... basically, and per Rod's schematic earlier my inverted speedmaster strut sits even with the ski bottom, ie: the tube is sitting on the edge of the ski, and the strut takes off on that plane from there.....

Mark, so you have your angle at what the tub is, sitting on the table?... I only ask, as, i'd had my 20 boat set, at the angle of the ski same, with a straight edge, and it worked fine.....

I did experience, problems with setback rudders and brackets, on 20 testing, bent, with actually hearing these boats seriously rip a corner, the force on things must be incredible....... measurements always help.....

thanks for that tip, Ron.... I'm gonna do some measurin'..... thanks mike

Tub bottom is 0 degrees and strut/shaft is 0 degrees.

I use the .21 Zipp's with the none fixed strut and it goes mint.I have the rudder 1 1/2" below the ski stock picco 45 not completly broke in and pipe not tuned in just right yet and a stock prop 1657 getting low 70's on gps last fall.once ice is gone hoping to see much more speed with more tuning and none stock prop.

Back