JAE 45 RTR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey how is EVERY ONE'S glue lams holding up on the Transome And the Turn fin Sponsons Mine Tins and Scotts are All crackin bulging and seperating . whats the fixes Thanks Charlie

or better yet, use west systems or US Composites SLOW set epoxy. My US Composites takes over 8 hours to dry, but its yet to fail me.

Ok guys all 4 of Tims JAE's were built with 30 min epoxy and most of us used the west system . I was talking about stress on the rudder and turn fin . We all ran alot this last summer and as much stress was put on these areas . I am very impressed with the JAE 45 with a full mod motor w 1657 cupped hard running 80+ for 8 hrs all out the glue lams dont like it. So any one have modifacations on these areas would greatly be of help. Thanks Charlie

Careful with the US Composites Slow hardner!!!

Must be used above 80 F or heated to 120F for 24 hours to achieve full cure.

I hve been thur about 4 gallons now, I use Medium and Fast hardners only now for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys all 4 of Tims JAE's were built with 30 min epoxy and most of us used the west system . I was talking about stress on the rudder and turn fin . We all ran alot this last summer and as much stress was put on these areas . I am very impressed with the JAE 45 with a full mod motor w 1657 cupped hard running 80+ for 8 hrs all out the glue lams dont like it. So any one have modifacations on these areas would greatly be of help. Thanks Charlie
Charlie,

With regards to the transom, I am in the process of trying a few different things on my current build. The rudder we used was a speedmaster 20 size with a long bracket (for mono per speedmaster site). I think the long bracket puts too much stress on the transom. Next I am going to try a speedmaster mini rudder with the short hydro bracket. I also have added 1/4 tri stock to each corner of the transome. I'll let you know how this works.

I thnk the right sponson problems are already solved with the type of mods you have seen before (like John Dufek has done).

Happy holidays dude!

Got Wood? I just use Bob Smith Industries Epoxy & Dowel Rod Pins on my 90 bulkheads & I use no g10,no carbon fiber on anything...just pins,glue & bullet proof plywood + I only use two bolts & two Tee Nuts to hold the turn fin on with no issues....(key word... pins) :)

http://ne-stuff.blog...ydro-boats.html

I have dowels that go thru the sponson and use screws that go thru the sponson, then have a g10 plate on the outside of the sponson like a 1in by 4in plate as a washer plate..... so all said and done if my turnfin was gonna have issues my sponson would be ripped apart. I always had issues with my turnfin spar pulling my sponsons apart when i ran a firefighter or a hawk type boat.... probably was my building that caused these issues. Now what i should mention is my boat is not a jae, but it is a jae style boat.

I did use a layer of G10 in the transom also.....

20121215_134050_zps0cd48c18.jpg

20121215_134035_zpse35609e9.jpg

20121215_134022_zps58baeb60.jpg

My first fuel tank held 12 .3 OZ I did have 1/4" of space inside the tub ,You will need all the room you can get for your tank. 12.3 oz, will not finish a heat. 2 more oz is needed.I wanted to keep the original tank so I added a 2 oz hopper tank Notice the hardwood block on the right sponson. The Brass will pull out if not reinforced.My first rigger has hardwood inside the tub holding the boom tube brass taking up that 1/4 " You will need that 1/4" on the tank.

Thanks to everyone that posted the JAE 45 threads. I built 4 of the JAE s this winter and this one is mine. The first runs will be with a stock CMB 45 Purple Head,1655 prop. When the boats dialed in my new VAC 45 with the mods recommended by Stu Barr will be installed. Thanks again to Rod Geraghty ,Stu Barr, David Preusse and Steve Wood for the engine work.
Hey Tim...where did you get the cowlings from,I would be interested in getting a couple from you. thx you You can pm me if you would like...

I already have David's turnfin,and a cowling. The one I have is a little bigger,need one for my 45 like you have. Guess I need to call him...thx again

Stan David may have changed the cowling. The one on my boat, 1st post is from David. I recently received a turn fin from from David and it is different that the first one I got. tim

Back