jae 21 g2 build changes ? ( mods )

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the input and pics guys.

This kit is fun to build and is one of many things going on in this hard water time.

boat builds

motor checks

hull repair

hull mods

Painting (when it warms up in March )

You name it and it probably needs to be done before next runnibg season.

well have her all together now. need to paint her when the weather warms up.

Had an issue with a boom getting stuch in a sponson when glueing the boom tube guides into the sponsons.

Heated up offending guide and got the boom out yet will have to have a smaller width due to boom damage. now 2 in narrower than stock.

How do you prevent the epoxy from bonding the booms onto the sponson guides when bonding the guides into the sponson and keeping the AOA while doing it.

I would like to know for next time.

now to get a canopy.

Thanks.

DSC03148.JPGDSC03094.JPG

So you guys are glueing up the boom guides with the booms installed? my first rigger build was a jae, so i followed the instructions.......squared them all up & clamped or weighted the tub or sponsons while the epoxy cured. the boom tubes line up just fine! did the same on the ib jae kit i converted to ob. i can slide the boom tubes in a sponson & slide them through the tub & into the opposite sponson with virtually no pressure. just lucky TWICE? i just had faith in the kit & the instructions, 'cuz i didn't know any different. works for me!

I used the booms to keep the AOA the same for both sponsons when glueing the tubes to the sponsons and when inserting the tubes into the sponsons some glue seeped into the center and bonded the booms to the guides while keeping the AOA the same.

Since this was my first rigger build had thaught a bit of oil would do yet it did not on one of the inserts.

So my issue came up and had to heat the insert to remove the boom . Boom did not like the heat and split at tip when pulling it out so will be running a little narower setup at first.

So Now I know to plug outside of guide tube when inserting into sponson to prevent glue from getting into tube and bonding the booms to the guides.

Sometimes it is hard to hook up with others who have build them and have more experiance due to distance from each other.

I used a long piece of brass tubing that fit inside the tub and sponson tubes ran it thru both sponsons with tub between and waxed paper to keep sponsons from bonding to tub... also used vaseline on brass to keep em from sticking... first time around i used carbon boom tubes to allign and they got epoxy on them and were glued in for good...no good..lol... :unsure: this way the sponsons and boom tube sleves in tub are perfectly alligned and no twist during cure time,tub (if built straight)keeps sponsons straight and I clamped a angle alum piece on outside of sponsons for good measure... I also didnt glue brass into sponsons as I wanted the same collars like on the JAE.45... Joe sells nice alum inserts for .45 JAE and will probably do thee same for .21... but for now we have to make our own.. I also like the spruce square stock over the balsa tri stock,more rigid.A piece of larger stock in place of tri stock on rudder side of inside transom to side corner is nice too as the nuts crunch over time as you re tighten the rudder bolts.. All in all I found all the JAEs to be designed very nicely just how to get it done is the learning curve... this thread is a great way to help builders to do it right the first time!! good idea!! :) I have several in my gallery any one can check out to refer to if it may help!! HAPPY BOATING!!

got mine cleared and put back together to take a final weight. Not bad! The weight is RTR minus fuel (cowl, lid, battery, prop, flex shaft, etc etc etc all included in that weight) The sponson fell off the hook when I was clearing it, and chipped it all to heck. But oh well, it wont win any awards for a nice paint job, but should move along pretty well ;)

IMG_20130317_160208_zps491b99a9.jpg

IMG_20130317_160058_zps3167ca26.jpg

IMG_20130317_160159_zpsa7da126a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This a must. Getting your strut as low as possible I beveled out the inside of the ski ,were the brass stuffing tube lies .you don't need much.Your strut lays even with the bottom ski Notice were the ski stops

Is having the end of the ski close to the prop a problem? Will it disturb the water to much before the prop? I believe when I mount the ski it will be less then 1.25 inches away ... Should I move the ski forward?

2013-03-17_20-11-52_208.jpg

Kevin, you dont want to move your ski forward. If anything, you would want to extend your strut out further.

This a must. Getting your strut as low as possible I beveled out the inside of the ski ,were the brass stuffing tube lies .you don't need much.Your strut lays even with the bottom ski Notice were the ski stops
I agree with this. Here is a couple pictures of mine:

IMG_20130317_212042_zps3756ceef.jpg

IMG_20130317_212128_zpsc0fda749.jpg

got mine cleared and put back together to take a final weight. Not bad! The weight is RTR minus fuel (cowl, lid, battery, prop, flex shaft, etc etc etc all included in that weight) The sponson fell off the hook when I was clearing it, and chipped it all to heck. But oh well, it wont win any awards for a nice paint job, but should move along pretty well ;)

Nice looking boat Rod! (Except that external water line plumbing! :p )

Nice looking boat Rod! (Except that external water line plumbing! :p )
Lol! Your the second person to say that. But it works! I might have to see what I can do about that here if I get some time ;)

Kevin If the hull is all set up like drive-line cut. Run it That Carbon fiber ski is very thin. If not setup yet all you need is a strut bracket to extend back. You may need 2 strut brackets. I do like your thinking as far as weight. Only one way to find out if one bracket will work. My first .21 hull was setup like you have. Raced it 2 years with good results. But to get that extra 5-10 mph I like what I showed.

Just below the stinger struts is a good light strut. CK out the CNC props. also the X664CNC was run on my .45 JAE not my .21 it won't turn it. That pic shown is my .45 rigger The site is a lipo site Hardware is hardware.nitro or lipo

http://kintecracing.com/Hardware.html

Back