jae 21 g2 build changes ? ( mods )

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim's pretty fast. Ran by me like I was walking. I didn't see his.21 last weekend as he was getting ready for Hobart. I took home 3rd place. I was lucky

. Seen Terry Munn fly by me in a blur after getting lapped.
Yes, Terry was fast. We have to step up our game Neil. :)

Baitbox.... 'cuz i like it that way..... pinned bulkheads.... foam in the ski..... oak in the fin mount area, nose, and sponsons tips, mine's over 4 but not much..... heat racer.... mike

still smokes folks like marty davis & john knight.
Really?? Marty won the US-1 title at the Internats this year with better heat racing and time trial scores. I finished 2nd to Marty in the the heat racing portion and you did not finish high enough to qualify for the time trials portions. I did. I have more awards in B Hydro that you can ever imagine. The rod and piston broke in my 20 engine at the Internats and cost me big time in the time trials. We'll see next month in the Fall Nats.
john, john, john... IF i finished my heat, you have not ever finished ahead of me. look at the results, i have. never said i could drive, just said my boat was faster than yours. actually, it has won EVERY heat it has ever finished, save 1. i jumped the start at the fall nats last year, & still finished second, about 50' behind first place. this thread is about how to build a good jae, not about trophies, most of which you won with others hulls.

1 other thing i would add - plate the transom inside & out with carbon fiber or aluminum, as the plywood will crush over time from the pressure of the rudder & strut. also a good idea to add a brace/flat plate on the outside of the tub to the rudder.

plating the transom is a good idea sa I have done it on most of my builds since I went away from blind nuts ( first boat ).

What hardware go people prefer to use , the stuff from zip or speedmaster ?

The jae hardware works very well, as it was designed for the hull. my boat is all stock zipp kit & hardware.

Well I have SM hardware for my winter build.

Will be using a GO 5p motor, sullavan tank. boom stiffiners.

Need to still get the props over the winter for the boat.

How about the prebuilt version of the of the Jae g2 .21 is it any good as far as solids construction to take some abuse.I have a novarossi 5 port I was thinking to drop in it.

How about the prebuilt version of the of the Jae g2 .21 is it any good as far as solids construction to take some abuse.I have a novarossi 5 port I was thinking to drop in it.
I do not know anything about the prebuilt kits. I do have one of there unbuilt kits and am going in that direction as to building it.

Building is part of the fun.

We just finished our ninth zip and flared the brass tubes for the sponsons and they hold well. Before that we put balsa blocks in the sponsons for better glue surface. I suggest taking the triangle stock and trashing it. Go to your local craft store and get 1/8 balsa or basswood because it looks cleaner.(my opinion). Also on this last boat I removed the last three inches of the ski. Heard some rumors of turbulence being created at the propeller entry point. Whether true or not I dont know but the boat rips. Had to downsize the prop though because the ski no longer holds it out of the water. One last suggestion would be to use a fixed strut that only has up and down adjustment. Angle will cause the hops in the straight away( more on the 40's than 20's). Build them strong and they will last and if the boat is about 4 pounds you'll be in the hunt.

Dave

After reading all the posts on the brass tubes coming loose I used Binding Posts from Lowes, no problems at all after hitting everything in sight!

Check the servo mount WHILE holding the rudder to see if it is broken!!! LOL
Where do you use the bindng posts? thru the tub or what?

Binding posts are for holding the turn fin on, they use a #8 screw. Scuff up the barrel with 60 grit and epoy in.

Mike Walker does a pretty good job if you don't have the time, tools or whatever to build it. I had him put my gas version together as I didn't want to mess anything up on that boat, he even set up the boom tubes correctly on it so less hassle for me when I finished it.

The kits really aren't that hard to build. The only mess-up on my .21 was the engine blocks as they're not square and as hard as I tried to not put them in the wrong way, I did.

Mike Walker does a pretty good job if you don't have the time, tools or whatever to build it. I had him put my gas version together as I didn't want to mess anything up on that boat, he even set up the boom tubes correctly on it so less hassle for me when I finished it.

The kits really aren't that hard to build. The only mess-up on my .21 was the engine blocks as they're not square and as hard as I tried to not put them in the wrong way, I did.
Oh ok, yeah I spoke with a few ppl running them this past weekend at the sc fall nats I've been informed there pretty easy to built and that zip kits hydro builder it good. But I will be getting both 21&45 kits to build this winter thanks for the info.

Ron thanks for the kind words,( your check is in the mail)Any one doing it your self has any ?? shoot me an email. I'll do my best to help

I hope that it's a big one, I can always use the money! :D

I always give credit where it's due and to those who do great work and/or service.

well I have started my build and hav lowered the tub by 1/8" thus far , have the tub almost ready for the first bottom skin.

once tacked will be coating all joints with epoxy then using the corner reinforcments. thinking of 1/8 in bass wood stock over the triangle stock.

nice build so far.

pics comming soon of this and other prokects I have on the go.

Instead of running the brass tube out side of the sponson, I leave it flush and drill and tap through the centre of the top. My son ran his up on shore at full speed this past season and the sponsons survived, the tub did not. Too many stress cracks to bother with. It is easier to build a new tub than repair. This was the 90-101 version with a 80.

Instead of running the brass tube out side of the sponson, I leave it flush and drill and tap through the centre of the top. My son ran his up on shore at full speed this past season and the sponsons survived, the tub did not. Too many stress cracks to bother with. It is easier to build a new tub than repair. This was the 90-101 version with a 80.
Any thaughts of using cable clamps ( coulars ) to hold the booms on both sides of the sponson and tub?

Would think it would alow for more fine tuning if needed vs screws threw the sponsons.

Just thinking of finer adjustments...

Back