Is Primer Needed?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnstone

Simply question, is primer needed on a gel coat hull? Or is it better to prime so the base colour has something to bond to?

Thanks

Simply question, is primer needed on a gel coat hull? Or is it better to prime so the base colour has something to bond to?

Thanks
As long as you properly prep a gel-coated hull, you will be fine,

If there have been any repairs done to the hull, primer would help to "fade in" the repaired area though.

But if new hull, wash well with like simple green and scotch brite pad, scuff with 320 or 400 grit paper, wipe well with prep-solve and paint away

Remember, if a new hull, it WILL have some sort mold release agent.

WAYNE: I AM REPAINTING PART OF VALASCO SCALE THAT WAS PAINTED 5 YEARS AGO WITH PPG CONCEPT. IT WAS A NEW HULL AT THE TIME AND SCUFF ,SANDED ,PRIMED BEFORE PAINTING. I HAVE SPOTS WERE THE PAINT HAS LIFTED AND NEEDS TO BE REPAINTED. DOING MY RESEARCH WITH PPG AND SUPPLY HOUSES I HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO USE A EPOXY PRIMER

ON MY HULL BEFORE PAINTING. I KNOW MANY PEOPLE DON'T AGREE AND LIKE RICK SAID SOME PEOPLE CAN PAINT OVER VIRGIN MATERIAL AS LONG AS IT IS PREPPED RIGHT. I AM TRYING THE

EPOXY PRIMER THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAND TO IMPROVE ADHESION AND HOPE IT STICKS.

I RECOMMEND YOU USE A QUALITY PRIMER SAND AND CLEAN. THIS WILL INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF A GOOD PAINT JOB. HOPE IT HELPS DAN

Back