Is Nitro dead?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Younger boaters may not know this, but the exact same comments made in this thread were said about nitro in the 1970s when that "oil crisis" hit. We went so far as to outlaw nitro in some organizations and clubs - guys ran their boats on straight alcohol and oil by changing the compression ratio. Speeds were lower of course - but by golly we had cheaper fuel! Heck, guys even started to convert to diesel engines in their boats and planes. Then after all the hand wringing and sniveling faded, guess what happened? Just like with the gasoline for their cars, everyone got used to the higher glow fuel prices, and now we again have 40%-50% nitro commonly used.

Unless you have an historical perspective with which to view the present, you will usually be wrong in predicting the future....

You need to look at district 3 Florida, http://namba3.net/results.html We are infested with gas boats. That last bunch of races they could barely find three C rigger or X boats to make a class in the whole darn state. Look at the Orlando winter nationals and note the unbelievable amount of Gas boats and most of them are local boaters. Back about 5 - 10 years ago there were so many nitro boats that they could barely finish a 2 day meet in 2 days!! every heat was loaded with boats. Those same boaters are still very active ....They are all racing Gas boats now !! There might still be isolated district that have nitro boats, but that will end that in a few years once all the parts are gone for the old no longer made engines and a CMB engine cost 600.00 to 800.00 dollars or more in the future. Nitro fuel going up and will never come back down..... You might have some local hobby shop with 30 dollar a gallon fuel with old stock, but I just called FHS and Red Max 50 percent is now over 55.00 dollars a gallon and does not include shipping ......It's will only go up !! How high will it go before you throw your hands up and say screw this ??? Are you going to pay 65 dollars?? 75.00 dollars ?? or 100 dollars gallon ?? what's the breaking point ?? If I go out to have fun with my boat friends at the local pond and it cost me 75.00 for a gallon of fuel and 5 dollars for a glow plug and my Gas friends it's cost them 5 bucks for a gallon of gas to test and tune ALL day....What do you think I will be switching to ?? Gas engines of course !! and were not even including if I puke a Nitro engine and have to buy a crank or piston & sleeve or rod. Zenoah parts on the other hand are ridiculously cheap and you can get them anywhere.

Remember Monday night football many years ago Frank Gifford use to sing at the end of the game ......"turn out the lights the party's over" that applies here is something does not change.

john

Last edited by a moderator:
"turn out the lights the party's over" that applies here is something does not change.
Things that "could" change, if there's a will...

Fuel:

A very compelling reason for running gas is the low fuel cost. Why is it ok that people running one set of boats are compelled to use a specific fuel, gasoline, but another set of boats is setup in a free-for-all style that supports, and even encourages, runaway spending on fuel? Perhaps it's time to take a serious look at putting something in place to reduce fuel costs? Is racing really that much more fun when running 65% fuel than it would be if everyone was running no nitro?

Engines:

As has already been mentioned, if the glow side of racing (note that I called it glow to eliminate the preconception that nitro is required) is to survive we need better engine availability and they need to be at lower price points.

Classes:

Are there are too many classes on the glow side of racing? Do we really need 4 (ignoring IMPBA A and C) different engine sizes spread across several different hull types? I realize it's difficult to decide which engine sizes and/or classes might be sunset, nobody wants their class eliminated, but perhaps some consolidation would help?

Let's not put too much emphasis on fuel. Six months ago when we discussed this fuel wasn't an issue. High demand, low supply, the Euro all add up to the same thing. High Prices. But even for those willing to pay there is not a product they want to buy. We all know somebody that would not have a CMB. So what will they buy. Nothing. We all know the same about MAC. The same went for Picco but they are gone.

Since outboards were mentioned previously, let's look at that. People buy up the old K&B stuff because there is no more. Where you gonna get an outdrive, starting cone and revese crank for a Novarossi. You aren't. Dieing.

How about picking me up a few Octura props. Whooops, you can't.

Most are just running through their old stuff and keeping it alive. Or you could saying it's dieing.

Like I said, you better look toward CMDI because they are about the only ones talking about mass producing anything. Motors, pipes, boats, hardware in general and now props. Maybe they will make a $1.50 glow plug.

Boaters,

There is no shortage of propellers,I have plenty ABC & Octuras in stock.

Is Nitro Dead? :eek:

I don't think so, I just sold $5000.00 of glow plugs on here

last month. And my propeller orders are through the roof this year. :D

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

I got ta tell ya.. Mark sold one heck of a lot of plugs.. Any takes on how many we have sold?

Nitro is FAR form dead.... changing..maybe.. dead (regarding RC boats) not even close.

DOOMSDAYERS ALL OF YA.... :p :D

Grim

"turn out the lights the party's over" that applies here is something does not change.
Things that "could" change, if there's a will...

Fuel:

A very compelling reason for running gas is the low fuel cost. Why is it ok that people running one set of boats are compelled to use a specific fuel, gasoline, but another set of boats is setup in a free-for-all style that supports, and even encourages, runaway spending on fuel? Perhaps it's time to take a serious look at putting something in place to reduce fuel costs? Is racing really that much more fun when running 65% fuel than it would be if everyone was running no nitro?

Engines:

As has already been mentioned, if the glow side of racing (note that I called it glow to eliminate the preconception that nitro is required) is to survive we need better engine availability and they need to be at lower price points.

Classes:

Are there are too many classes on the glow side of racing? Do we really need 4 (ignoring IMPBA A and C) different engine sizes spread across several different hull types? I realize it's difficult to decide which engine sizes and/or classes might be sunset, nobody wants their class eliminated, but perhaps some consolidation would help?
Chucks comments have a lot of merit in my opinion.

I'd just like to add something if I may.

If the fuel is changed, it's not only reducing the running cost solely for the fuel. It will also make engines and glow plugs last considerably longer because they aren't working as hard or being corroded by nitric acid.

Classes - too many. I agree here too. Higher numbers of participants in less classes makes for better racing. Consolodating similar classes together, and long term planning to prevent boats being built for a class soon to be condemned is the only fair way to reduce the number of classes that I can think of.

Bucking the trend. Two classes that were well and truly dead at major races in Australia 10 years ago are now having somewhat of a comeback. 3.5cc O/B tunnel and 7.5cc GP Hydro (in the US it's called Sport 40). Their resurgence can be attributed to putting the fun back into racing in these classes, rather than being ultra competitive all the time.

Boaters,
There is no shortage of propellers,I have plenty ABC & Octuras in stock.

last month. And my propeller orders are through the roof this year. :D

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

$5000.00 dollars worth of glow plugs is approximately 1500 glow plugs. I watch the Glow plug thread and I am given the benefit of doubt that 50 boaters bought plugs and I suspect way less. So that's 50 Glow plug boaters across the whole USA that run nitro boats enough to need to buy plugs in bulk to save money. Lets rejoice and CMB , Nova , K&B outboards can now ramp up production ;)

John

Except for a few............All this has nothing to do with the current state of Boating. GAS..will not Kill off nitro and Nitro will not kill off gas. What is kiilling BOATING IS???

As always some of you have missed the "BIG PICTURE" Forget what fuel you run. What a Deep pile!!!

When a pond is lost dose it say "gas boats only!!!"

This year so far the number on races that where common on the calander are down. And that number is climbing. Four pages of WHAT???

BOATING IS SUFFERING HERE!!! OPEN YOUR EYES!!!

Except for a few............All this has nothing to do with the current state of Boating. GAS..will not Kill off nitro and Nitro will not kill off gas. What is kiilling BOATING IS???
As always some of you have missed the "BIG PICTURE" Forget what fuel you run. What a Deep pile!!!

When a pond is lost dose it say "gas boats only!!!"

This year so far the number on races that where common on the calander are down. And that number is climbing. Four pages of WHAT???

BOATING IS SUFFERING HERE!!! OPEN YOUR EYES!!!
BC that was one of your best posts ................. B)

last month.

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U
This only shows how expensive nitro is!

The same guy bought the whole lot for a two days race event!

Lean is mean! :D

What happened to the nitro boat drivers?At our Oklahoma Race there is a lot of Gas boats entered, but we hardly get nitro boat entries.

What is wrong with the nitro hobby?

Are everybody switching to gas or don't nitro drivers wanna compete?
Lets see if we can REALY answer Heralds questions.. yea maybe he should have qualified the questions as "I want your opinion" but never the less....

Heralds asked….What happened to the nitro boat drivers?...

Response….We are not sure. Let’s read on…

Heralds asked…. At our Oklahoma race there is a lot of gas boats entered, but we hardly get nitro boat entries.

Response…(remember no facts here just my opinion) Gas boats are large and fun. Nitro boats can be finicky but fun too.. However nitro boats do not fit everybody’s idea of easy. Seems like in today society we want it now and we want it easy. Most nitro boating has a longer learning curve so that might have some to do with it..

Heralds asked…. What is wrong with the nitro hobby?

Response…(remember no facts here just my opinion).. Nothing in my mind.. it is changing but that does not make it broken. If nitro boats want to regain some of the popularity they had the “want it now and easy” attitude might have to change.. or we need to design a faster easer nitro mouse trap.. just like RC nitro cars have..

Heralds asked…. Are everybody switching to gas or don't nitro drivers wanna compete?

Response.. (not a opinion but a fact).. nope.. not me. Will I join the gas guys? I might.. just not sure yet.. I like the romance a nitro engine offers. I like the challenge of the TUNE.. fast and easy does not hold a ton of water with me. Its OK.. but not for MY boating hobby.

ROCK ON

Grim

No fear, I am getting back into full swing with the Nirto scene, so at least here in Michigan, Nitro will come back to life, I have many other's looking to get into boating, and are watching what I do,. I dont wanna sound like people follow me personaly, but the car scene has been getting kinda lame, always the same old pro's at every race, taking to good's home with them, many other's looking to keep R/C racing in there blood, just something new to them!!, so if the nitro scene get back to life around here, I think there will be alot of new comer's!!

No fear, I am getting back into full swing with the Nirto scene, so at least here in Michigan, Nitro will come back to life, I have many other's looking to get into boating, and are watching what I do,. I dont wanna sound like people follow me personaly, but the car scene has been getting kinda lame, always the same old pro's at every race, taking to good's home with them, many other's looking to keep R/C racing in there blood, just something new to them!!, so if the nitro scene get back to life around here, I think there will be alot of new comer's!!
Just got off the phone,a buddy called RedMax 50% is 57.00 a gallon looks like we are going to lower the nitro content

Just got off the phone,a buddy called RedMax 50% is 57.00 a gallon looks like we are going to lower the nitro content
I also talked to RedMax last week and they told me the spike in costs is a direct reflection on the current hording of nitro due to the BS going on in the NHRA. Hopefully things will get themselves settled out by season's end as the drag racers are up in arms over the situation & they buy far more nitro than we do. I've got enough to get me through the season so I've got my fingers crossed this crap will settle itself out by year's end. It's my understanding that at the last big NHRA event they had the fuel area under armed security in an effort to prove to Angus/Dow they can monitor the nitro responsibly and to try to coax them back into supplying the racers again. :rolleyes:

FHS Web site says 50%@ 35.66 for a five gallon order total of 178.30. Group buy is best.

Bob

FHS Web site says 50%@ 35.66 for a five gallon order total of 178.30. Group buy is best.

Bob
Web site needs up dated Mike is right. They say the price will go back to normal in a few mounths Hummmmmm

I also talked to RedMax last week and they told me the spike in costs is a direct reflection on the current hording of nitro due to the BS going on in the NHRA. Hopefully things will get themselves settled out by season's end as the drag racers are up in arms over the situation & they buy far more nitro than we do. I've got enough to get me through the season so I've got my fingers crossed this crap will settle itself out by year's end. It's my understanding that at the last big NHRA event they had the fuel area under armed security in an effort to prove to Angus/Dow they can monitor the nitro responsibly and to try to coax them back into supplying the racers again. :rolleyes:
And if hat doesn't work, NHRA will just have to kiss Don Schumachers butt because he's sittin on plenty.

This is a short term problem that should be cured by summers end.

I've stocked up and I don't even want to hear about low nitro, especially in my SAW Boats.

Latest posts

Back