Is Nitro dead?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...... I didn't get into this hobby because I was looking for something easy. I was looking for a challenge. It's this challenge that keeps this hobby alive.
I saw several guys who had piles of cash to through at something. They decided to give model boating a try. When the money didn't make it easy for them like it always had, they switched to gas. Now they have boats that won't die, some of them run halfway decent. But because they didn't go through that learning period with a boat that was well within their diving capacity, they are just downright DANGEROUS on the course.

My 21 hydro will hang with some of the fastest gas riggers, and I can fit my 45 rigger (which will lap most gas riggers in a 6 lap heat) right next to it in the trunk.

Plain and simple: I've run nitro since I got into this hobby, and I always will.
I agree with these comments too.....

I have been weighing up recently whether to take the step to add Gas or Electric to my currently nitro only fleet, but the truth is I can't get enthused enough about either to throw the time and money at it.

I'm definitely going to try reduced nitro content in my fuel for a while. New challenge - reduced costs and reliance on nitro that is becoming harder to obtain, but the engines can still pull good rpm and still have that "hit" from the tuned pipe that increases the pucker factor!

Why do those that run gas keep inquiring as to whether nitro is dead? Are they worried about the status of nitro? OR ARE THEY WORRIED ABOUT WHETHER RUNNING GAS WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME AS NITRO HAS DONE? MAYBE THEY ARE WORRIED THAT THE ENTHUSIASM FOR GAS IS BEGINNING TO FADE!!!!!! If it is only "EASY" that attracts people and there is not the challenge of getting the boat to run at major speeds, then the enthusiasm WILL fade! Dr.T

Nitro is what I got started in back in Florida.....

I love to watch and follow the NHRA....

I guess i am addicted to Nitro....

I love the smell of Nitro in the air......

If Nitro racing dies I will not be so interested in R/C Boating anymore.

I am glad we have Nitro alive and well here in Colorado......

Lets keep pushing it so it stays alive.......

Nitro? LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

when i was flying control line speed, we ran 70% plus and when i was flying jet speed my mixture was 50/50 nitro and prope. oxide. GOT TO LOVE THE STUFF.

my 90 mono is the only boat i have right now that is set up for straight fuel. no nitro, and you can ask anyone in district 12 that it is as fast and tractable as the other boats are that use nitro. and i havent even really leaned it out yet.

will i think about going to gas one day? NO WAY just me is all

but as far as i am concerned, nitro is alive and kicking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

carl

I just have to say this: (ranting)I am just about the only one of a few in our area still running nitro. It ha turned over to mostly gas boats. I am building a Whiplash GV, which should be ready in a couple weeks. This is so I can be gauranteed to race. At our last race only 20 hydro made. :eek:

But what I seen is that the people who had issues with getting nitro boats to run are the same ones who are having performance issues with the gas boats. The only thing that has changed is the fuel and the size of the boats.

David

David,

I remember that last race, I had the 20 mono and Eric asked me if i would mind going into a hydro class with a mono just so the hydro class would make. Seems here lately its a struggle to get enough nitro boats to enter and make a class. That race was 5 boats to make a class. Maybe 3 boats would help in clubs having some nitro classes make.

Right now for upcoming race in Louisana im on the phone trying to get other racers who have nitro boats to enter so we can have 3 or 4 classes make. It may turn out to be just 1 class of nitro.

I run gas boats, but i feel as long as there are *open * classes, i will bring a nitro boat and mix it up with the gas classes.

For me, no nitro is not dead, never will be. Weed Wackers, now known as gas motors have come along way but if i have to travel longer distances,to race my nitro stuff, then thats what i will do and still attend the club races that are in my area of the country that are dominated by the gas classes.

Why do those that run gas keep inquiring as to whether nitro is dead? Are they worried about the status of nitro? OR ARE THEY WORRIED ABOUT WHETHER RUNNING GAS WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME AS NITRO HAS DONE? MAYBE THEY ARE WORRIED THAT THE ENTHUSIASM FOR GAS IS BEGINNING TO FADE!!!!!! If it is only "EASY" that attracts people and there is not the challenge of getting the boat to run at major speeds, then the enthusiasm WILL fade! Dr.T

Doc you know that the Gas Boaters today are the ole Nitro boaters that could Not Get it Right!! :lol: B)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc you know that the Gas Boaters today are the ole Nitro boaters that could Not Get it Right!! :lol: B)

well joe you just rung the bell for round three..lol

tk

Sorry I been on a lit Vacation! Didn`t know Round 2 was over So Quick?? .... Ding Ding!! its the Cord Pullers vs the Nitro Puffers..... :lol: No Hitting below the Belt Gentlemen!!

Why do those that run gas keep inquiring as to whether nitro is dead? Are they worried about the status of nitro? OR ARE THEY WORRIED ABOUT WHETHER RUNNING GAS WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME AS NITRO HAS DONE?
Question was asked because alot of people say that Nitro is the way to go, but (almost) nobody here in our area sends in entry forms any longer. We are having a race June 20th-21st, but so far I have only received GAS boat entries. I like GAS, but I would love to see some NITRO classes make too.

We had the same problem with the NITRO classes last year also. We only need 3 boats to make a class, but it is getting harder and harder every year.

If it's still alive, WHY?

Nitro Dead?????????

Evansville Spring Shootout May 23-24

Nitro

10 sport 20

24 sport 40

18 eight scale

7 hydros

17 tunnels

5 mono

81 total

Gas

5 sport hydro

6 cats

7 thunderboats

18 total

Why do those that run gas keep inquiring as to whether nitro is dead? Are they worried about the status of nitro? OR ARE THEY WORRIED ABOUT WHETHER RUNNING GAS WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME AS NITRO HAS DONE?
Question was asked because alot of people say that Nitro is the way to go, but (almost) nobody here in our area sends in entry forms any longer. We are having a race June 20th-21st, but so far I have only received GAS boat entries. I like GAS, but I would love to see some NITRO classes make too.

We had the same problem with the NITRO classes last year also. We only need 3 boats to make a class, but it is getting harder and harder every year.

Welcome to IMPBA District 6. Whoever designed the re-districting plan must have failed miserably at geography.They moved the St. Louis club from Dist. 4 to Dist. 6 and I don't believe they have hosted a race since. The plan also put your club and the Wichita club in the same District as The Twin Cities Model Boat Club in Minneapolis Mn. Oklahoma City is 784 miles from Minneapolis, Wichita is 634 miles. All the District 4 clubs are less than 400 miles from Minneapolis, and many of the District 14 clubs are closer than either Wichita or Oklahoma City. Gas or nitro seems to be a regional preference, and you live in an area that is predominately gas. We race nitro up here. We have enough gas boats in the club to make a heat if they all show up, but that has not happened as of yet. I would love to attend all the Dist. 6 races, I just can't afford the time and expense of a 1500+mile road trip.

Welcome to IMPBA District 6. Whoever designed the re-districting plan must have failed miserably at geography. I would love to attend all the Dist. 6 races, I just can't afford the time and expense of a 1500+mile road trip.
Good point! I even belive that parts of Canada are in the same district as Oklahoma, if we can thrust the "old school" info at the IMPBA web site?

I rather go to Texas for racing, than Canada. Who cares anyway if you attend to this or that district? BTW, from OKC to Dallas it's 195 miles, less than three hours by car.

In Norway where I used to race earlier, the nitro still races, but the real popular classes are Gas. That's where you find the growth.

Welcome to IMPBA District 6. Whoever designed the re-districting plan must have failed miserably at geography.They moved the St. Louis club from Dist. 4 to Dist. 6 and I don't believe they have hosted a race since. The plan also put your club and the Wichita club in the same District as The Twin Cities Model Boat Club in Minneapolis Mn. Oklahoma City is 784 miles from Minneapolis, Wichita is 634 miles. All the District 4 clubs are less than 400 miles from Minneapolis, and many of the District 14 clubs are closer than either Wichita or Oklahoma City. Gas or nitro seems to be a regional preference, and you live in an area that is predominately gas. We race nitro up here. We have enough gas boats in the club to make a heat if they all show up, but that has not happened as of yet. I would love to attend all the Dist. 6 races, I just can't afford the time and expense of a 1500+mile road trip.
I think the thoughts of the IMPBA at that time was to keep all the clubs that where formed in the APBA days together. APBA included Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Missouri and North and South Dakota. It does make it hard for the South end of District 6 to race with the North end of District 6. I have been looking for boaters in and around the KC area to make a half way point for all of us to meet and race. So if anyone knows of racers in the area please have them contact me.

Allan Hoyle

Nitro Dead?????????Evansville Spring Shootout May 23-24

Nitro

10 sport 20

24 sport 40

18 eight scale

7 hydros

17 tunnels

5 mono

81 total

Gas

5 sport hydro

6 cats

7 thunderboats

18 total

Thats a good example of what i see alot of. The farther north clubs appear to have a larger nitro following or turn out of racers running nitro boats. I wanted to attend this May event you mentioned as well as the Hobart event later this year and run both gas & nitro but family pre-planned events won over racing events. I am in IMPBA Dist.7 and the nitro classes are far and few between in making a class.

Maybe some racers can adopt me during the summer months so i can be closer to race evnts where nitro classes are easily met. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back