Is Nitro dead?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald1966

What happened to the nitro boat drivers?

At our Oklahoma Race there is a lot of Gas boats entered, but we hardly get nitro boat entries.

What is wrong with the nitro hobby?

Are everybody switching to gas or don't nitro drivers wanna compete?

What happened to the nitro boat drivers?At our Oklahoma Race there is a lot of Gas boats entered, but we hardly get nitro boat entries.

People like the gas these days not as much of a challenge and generally run better most of the time. Also from what it sounds like their might be a nitro shortage in the near future, Which will probably kill nitro the rest of the way?

We talked about the nitro situation at our club race yesterday. Nitro boats do NOT HAVE to have lots of nitro. Simple engine set up changes will allow most of these boats to run on little or no nitro. I have found that my boats run better (meaning more consistent) on lower nitro. Look at it this way, if we can't use nitro then you gas guys will be able to keep up with our boats a little better! :lol:

While many classes are declining, Sport 40, 1/8 Scale, and tunnels all appear to be growing in our district. And I second the low, or no, nitro concept. We can do ourselves a big favor if we find a way to reduce the cost of fuel.

What happened to the nitro boat drivers?At our Oklahoma Race there is a lot of Gas boats entered, but we hardly get nitro boat entries.

200 Nitro boats headed to Evansville June 20-21, Nitro is alive & well in IMPBA Dist 5-13-14. Over 250 Competed in Atlanta Spring Nats in april 19-20 IMPBA Dist #13. Our IMPBA Dist 5 has lost Many total GAS/Nitro races due to whatever reason.So its not just a nitro thing

I would not say that nitro is dead, but it's seriously impaired and getting worst especially in the outrigger class. Look at District 3 , Florida http://namba3.net/results.html ( including the winter nats) so far this year and notice the missing class's and the small amounts of boats in the existing nitro class's. Take a look at the gas class's their thriving. I believe Florida has the most boaters of any district and best all year long weather, so it's a good thermometer of what's going on. Not good, no matter how positive your outlook is. :(

John

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a pity if the Nitro boats don't show up in the future.

It is fun to see them running even if I personally like Gas better.

I still have two nitroboats left, but due to a lot of hassle, I don't use them very often anymore.

I would not say that nitro is dead, but it's seriously impaired and getting worst especially in the outrigger class. Look at District 3 , Florida <a href="http://namba3.net/results.html" target="_blank">http://namba3.net/results.html</a> ( including the winter nats) so far this year and notice the missing class's and the small amounts of boats in the existing nitro class's. Take a look at the gas class's their thriving. I believe Florida has the most boaters of any district and best all year long weather, so it's a good thermometer of what's going on. Not good, no matter how positive your outlook is. :(
John
There are PLENTY of Nitro boats in Florida, it is just a matter of getting them all to come out and race. There are various reasons why a lot of folks are not super active all the way around right now.

"There are PLENTY of Nitro boats in Florida, it is just a matter of getting them all to come out and race. There are various reasons why a lot of folks are not super active all the way around right now"

I am sure there is plenty of nitro boats collecting dust in florida. Those folks are still super active, they are racing there new gas boats now !! ;)

John

I plan to build my first gas boat this coming winter as my winter project... For this reason I have been trying to watch the gas guys at the races I go to...to see what I can learn, and see what kind of boats are making class at the local races. Maybe find deal on a used boat...

Funny thing is...how they keep saying how easy they are to keep tuned. "Tune it once and it stays tuned"....then I see guys in the pits pulling their pullstarts over and over and over again...tweaking the carbs...pull...pull...pull. I see the boats run half a heat then start running funny, coming on and off the pipe...etc...etc. In short, I see the gas boats acting like nitro boats. ;)

Then I hear guys say that folks are moving toward gas because they are tired of $500 nitro engines. Guess what a modded zen 260 costs??

I like nitro, and will probably run it for as long as it exists...but I see the benefit of gas boats in their size. Around here, the wind blows 15+ MPH all the time, and a larger boat will handle it better.

I think gas and nitro both have their place in the sport, and hope to see them both stick around for a long time. I like alternatives...heh.

Sean

I plan to build my first gas boat this coming winter as my winter project... For this reason I have been trying to watch the gas guys at the races I go to...to see what I can learn, and see what kind of boats are making class at the local races. Maybe find deal on a used boat...
Funny thing is...how they keep saying how easy they are to keep tuned. "Tune it once and it stays tuned"....then I see guys in the pits pulling their pullstarts over and over and over again...tweaking the carbs...pull...pull...pull. I see the boats run half a heat then start running funny, coming on and off the pipe...etc...etc. In short, I see the gas boats acting like nitro boats. ;)

Then I hear guys say that folks are moving toward gas because they are tired of $500 nitro engines. Guess what a modded zen 260 costs??

I like nitro, and will probably run it for as long as it exists...but I see the benefit of gas boats in their size. Around here, the wind blows 15+ MPH all the time, and a larger boat will handle it better.

I think gas and nitro both have their place in the sport, and hope to see them both stick around for a long time. I like alternatives...heh.

Sean

Although I am not a big advocate of gas boats, they do have advantages. First of all, they can be very cost effective. Yes, you can buy a fully modify Zenoah for 500 to 600 hundred dollars. BUT you don't have to. It you are handy, you can do all the mods yourself to a stock 225.00 dollars engine. It just depends on your skill level. plus parts are dirt cheap.Once you pay the initial cost, the running cost are low. You can go to the pond all day and it will cost you 5 dollars for a gallon of gas and oil, spark plug last a long time. Nitro boats you are going to drop a gallon of fuel and a bunch of glow plugs in testing and fun running......That going to set you back close to 50.00 bucks. Over a year of running you can see that you will be way ahead regardless if you buy a hopped up Zenoah engine or do it yourself engine compared to nitro. That being said, I still like nitro better, but I can see myself building a gas rigger in the future. If anything , just to be able to Fun Run at the local pond all day on the cheap !! :)

John

I like nitro, and will probably run it for as long as it exists...but I see the benefit of gas boats in their size. Around here, the wind blows 15+ MPH all the time, and a larger boat will handle it better.Sean
Now we're talking Sean, big boats for windy conditions :D (Make it 35+MPH)

These five always make classes: LS27 Mono/Cat + Open Mono/Cat + Open Offshore

If you build/buy one LS27 mono or cat you can enter three classes with the same boat which make it even cheaper.

I suggest you buy one used boat, it is way cheaper than building it. Last race in Dallas I saw a used Modified Zenoah for sale at $250.

If you get a Classic Thunderboat, you're only aloud to have a Stock engine ($205-$229).

If you need speed, a gas rigger is the way to go.

I can promise you that there is less tuning on a gas boat Sean, I have tried both, but there will always be issues with a racing boat. :D

Yes even gas motor's will do the exact same thing as nitro. They both being a 2stroke will just not run sometimes!? 2 stroke dirtbikes do it too actually even the 4's.

I like nitro, and will probably run it for as long as it exists...but I see the benefit of gas boats in their size. Around here, the wind blows 15+ MPH all the time, and a larger boat will handle it better.Sean

If you build/buy one LS27 mono or cat you can enter three classes with the same boat which make it even cheaper.

I suggest you buy one used boat, it is way cheaper than building it. Last race in Dallas I saw a used Modified Zenoah for sale at $250.

If you get a Classic Thunderboat, you're only aloud to have a Stock engine ($205-$229).

I can promise you that there is less tuning on a gas boat Sean, I have tried both, but there will always be issues with a racing boat. :D
so why do the gas guys run twice as long as the nitro guys ? they end up burning the same $ in fuel ? and all they end up doing is chewing the pond up with nofixs to their running probs <_<

just a ? :eek:

so why do the gas guys run twice as long as the nitro guys ? they end up burning the same $ in fuel ? and all they end up doing is chewing the pond up with nofixs to their running probs <_<

just a ? :eek:

When I used to go to the pond for testing and tuning, I would go thru a gallon of 50 % nitro fuel and a few glow plugs. That would cost me almost 50 bucks to play with 2 boats. I can assure you, You can bring all the gas boats you want, run them to death and you are not going to go thru 50 dollars in GAS !! that would be 10 gallons in today prices, never happen !! ;)

John

Harold,

I would love to come up from the Dallas area and race my 20 hydro, 40 hydro, Sport 40, and 40 mono with you guys. But, I will be out of the country in Mexico for my Wifes and I anniversary. Hope to race with ya'll next year. :)

David

Is nitro dead? Forget what comes to the lake. Instead, look at the large selection of anything pertaining to gas. Now, look at nitro. Big Joke. The writing is on the wall.

Latest posts

Back