Is Nitro dead?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is nitro dead? Forget what comes to the lake. Instead, look at the large selection of anything pertaining to gas. Now, look at nitro. Big Joke. The writing is on the wall.
preston, i predicted this 15 years ago..... ask steve sutton he thought i was crazy :D

Is nitro dead? Forget what comes to the lake. Instead, look at the large selection of anything pertaining to gas. Now, look at nitro. Big Joke. The writing is on the wall.
preston, i predicted this 15 years ago..... ask steve sutton he thought i was crazy :D
I was just as much a nitro junky as anybody but I wasn't born last night.

I wouldn't call you crazy maybe just EDITED

:lol:

Please explain???
Lets say engines

nitro = CMB, OPS, and Novarossi. But basically CMB. And all are to a tune of over $400.

gas = Zenoah, Sikk, Quickdraw. Only 3 but there are countless versions of the Zen and Sikk which, by the way, a $200 Sikk will run so close to those $700 motors you won't believe it.

Ok, now hulls

Nitro = limited in their best days but, Seaducer, Aeromarine, SpeedMaster and a couple others, maybe. That's monos. Where you gonna buy a rigger? CMDI. Everybody else is so limited in production that they don't really count in the big picture.

Gas = Only God knows how many gas hulls are available.

As for hardware, there are so many "blings" you can buy for a gas boat that it is rediculous.

If you asked someone what nitro boat to buy you could only get a handfull of opinions at best. Ask what gas boat to buy and not many will agree, so many more opinions. Just look at Jim's RC Boat dock and here.

Try to buy an outboard lower unit. There went that.

you guys are not even looking at the whole picture here, your focused on RC BOATS ONLY and thats very narrow minded--- the nitro idea of being dead-----your leaving out traxxas--HPI--Offna--associated- thunder tiger- OS and several other MAJOR companies that dont have anything to do with boats, millions of dollars in cash would be lost if nitro went away you guys really think these companies will let that happen? mabey the boat mix of choice will be gone since most of the industry runs at a much lower nitro content,

RC boats, gas AND nitro only make up a very small percent of the total RC hobby.. My guess is close to the bottom of the RC food chain.. You want cheaper engines than people need to start looking for alternatives and conversions of the air cooled motors and if you look at the RTR end of the hobby that most older guys think is TABOO you will see that going on already-- with the example of the OS TZ .18 air cooled engine which is pulling better numbers than any marine made .18 on the market and is working in boats very well----- look to CMDI speedmaster etc to start cutting marine flywheels to adapt to the SG style cranks and head conversions instead of bugging them to death about engines from the past and hopping that the engine you just payed 500$ for wont be updated in 6 months so you cant find parts for them ---just an idea

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are refering to boats only on this forum. I think we are all aware of the nut jobs that will pay $13 for a glow plug to go in a car.

As for the .18, why not compare it to the $700+ car engines because that is where it will go.

I am refering to boats where was I not?? Just because I toss up car manufacturers in refrence to nitro fuel dont mean squat

Again mabey I should check around and see where EVERY nitro car engine thats work a crap takes a turbo plug and even those are are 10.99 and less check with tower hobbies as low as 5.99 for a turbo plug

your prices seem to only reflect your idea of things not real world application----- seriously would love to see a 200$ brand new Sikk engine --also, I could be wrong they might be sold that cheep someplace so prove it

here ill help ya out since sikk is a name put on a motor not who manufactures it

google names for you to look up for it

sikk

Chung Yang

CY

Just being friendly and trying to help you prove me wrong

All,

Being new I don't really see why it often ends up being one against the other, to each his own. REMEMBER it's still MODEL BOATING and we're the smallest category in R/C. I don't think anyone would want to see us get any more fragmented than we already are.

I know first hand the difficulties in entering this corner of the modeling hobby and the lack of quality beginner equipment. I know the big manufacturers are working on that but it won't happen tomorrow.

One thing to be proud of (all you boaters) is the fact boating is one of the few places in this hobby where a "MODELER" (one who still builds most of his stuff) can be reasonably competitive on a national stage!

That's what attracted me to it. I'm a modeler and I'm glad that in boating, Gas or Glow, there's still room for us.

I doubt I'm by myself in this or boating would have vanished long ago!

Gas or Glow, just have fun!!!!!

gh

All,Being new I don't really see why it often ends up being one against the other, to each his own. REMEMBER it's still MODEL BOATING and we're the smallest category in R/C. I don't think anyone would want to see us get any more fragmented than we already are.

I know first hand the difficulties in entering this corner of the modeling hobby and the lack of quality beginner equipment. I know the big manufacturers are working on that but it won't happen tomorrow.

One thing to be proud of (all you boaters) is the fact boating is one of the few places in this hobby where a "MODELER" (one who still builds most of his stuff) can be reasonably competitive on a national stage!

That's what attracted me to it. I'm a modeler and I'm glad that in boating, Gas or Glow, there's still room for us.

gh
211 mostly NITRO boats converging in Evansville this week no its not dead but the cost may have just went up for a period of time.

All,Being new I don't really see why it often ends up being one against the other, to each his own. REMEMBER it's still MODEL BOATING and we're the smallest category in R/C. I don't think anyone would want to see us get any more fragmented than we already are.

gh
AMEN to that Greg!! I run both nitro & gas (more nitro) and will continue to do so as long as I am able. The large number of good friends I have made as a direct result of this hobby is priceless. B)

Are we also forgetting about the tunnel nationals. 265 entries and growing for next year again.

Nitro isn't dead if I can help it.

Although I run both, my heart is still with the nitro. The smell, agility and RPM of a Nitro burner is 2nd to none. I just love to hear a .21 motor on 70% cackle when it idles and screaming, just begging for mercy down the straits. Gas just leaves that part just a bit short. Yes, my QD HR in my rigger is fast, but the sound just isn't there.

But I enjoy both and would like nothing better than to see both grow.

Upon getting the Grand Rapids pond up and running, I'm seeing quite a bit of interest with newbies and RTR nitro burners along with old faces starting to come out of the woodwork again. Soon we're going to start a weekly RTR series, that should help. I can't say how many of these people will eventually travel to race, but I'll do all I can to help them.

On my way up there now to trouble shoot and teach a 1st timer with a new Shockwave 32 how it all comes together to make it run. He's excited enough to have already sent in his IMPBA membership. Add another.

There's a place for gas and glow for sure.

Are we also forgetting about the tunnel nationals. 265 entries and growing for next year again.Nitro isn't dead if I can help it.

Although I run both, my heart is still with the nitro. The smell, agility and RPM of a Nitro burner is 2nd to none. I just love to hear a .21 motor on 70% cackle when it idles and screaming, just begging for mercy down the straits. Gas just leaves that part just a bit short. Yes, my QD HR in my rigger is fast, but the sound just isn't there.

But I enjoy both and would like nothing better than to see both grow.

Upon getting the Grand Rapids pond up and running, I'm seeing quite a bit of interest with newbies and RTR nitro burners along with old faces starting to come out of the woodwork again. Soon we're going to start a weekly RTR series, that should help. I can't say how many of these people will eventually travel to race, but I'll do all I can to help them.

On my way up there now to trouble shoot and teach a 1st timer with a new Shockwave 32 how it all comes together to make it run. He's excited enough to have already sent in his IMPBA membership. Add another.

There's a place for gas and glow for sure.

"I just love to hear a .21 motor on 70% cackle when it idles and screaming, just begging for mercy down the straits. "

I second that!!!! :)

LOL I know jerry not my first choice BUT its a bigger company that has nitro engines for just about everything you can think of and has had for a long time-

I am refering to boats where was I not?? Just because I toss up car manufacturers in refrence to nitro fuel dont mean squat

Again mabey I should check around and see where EVERY nitro car engine thats work a crap takes a turbo plug and even those are are 10.99 and less check with tower hobbies as low as 5.99 for a turbo plug

your prices seem to only reflect your idea of things not real world application----- seriously would love to see a 200$ brand new Sikk engine --also, I could be wrong they might be sold that cheep someplace so prove it

here ill help ya out since sikk is a name put on a motor not who manufactures it

google names for you to look up for it

sikk

Chung Yang

CY

Just being friendly and trying to help you prove me wrong
First, chill.

Second, read your first sentence.

Third, a turbo plug isn't worth it's packaging.

Fourth, go on Ebay and buy a new Sikk for under $220 from DDM who lists them on their web site for $270.

Fifth, I know Sikk is CY. So you want Butch, CC, Midwest and the others to take their names off of motors. Right.

Some races are growing with nitro but face the facts. With lack of new product being made then it is dieing. The best hope nitro has right now is CMDI racing.

Just trying to be friendly and you are wrong.

I'll now go hang out with crazy Steve Speas.

My thoughts on the nitro situation is this. Nitro is not dead but will be close to it, if something does not change. The problem is not with lack of boats of any type or hardware, that's is available everywhere from many source's. The issue is as everyone knows is the lack of engines and now to put another nail in the coffin is the cost of nitro is going up and up.

The days of good reasonably priced Italian engines from many manufacture's is over, with the exception of Nova Rossi for the toy .21 engines and CMB also K&B for the outboards. In the defense of CMB and Nova I know it seems like they are price gouging because they are the only game in town but they really are not. The big cause of the major price increase is the poor dollar exchange with the Euro. Our money is just plain weak at this time and the current prices reflect it with any product that come from europe.

Now what to do ?? Well first switch to methanol or low 5% nitro if you must. That will fix the fuel cost in a major way. Lets face it unless you have deep pockets or like to spend money like a drunken sailor the latest fuel cost of over 55 plus dollars a gallon for 50% nitro just fricken nuts and is only going to climb higher. Plus glow plugs unless you buy them by the 5 gallon bucket are now costly too.

Solution: Low to NO nitro for fuel savings and the glow plug cost will disappear as a by product of fuel change. Plus, I won't have to drive around all the normal dead boats in my heat because they go lean or burn plugs on the high nitro and crap out !!

Engines ??? Well the solution is a good high performance "domestic made product" in the $250.00 to $350.00 price range that runs great on methanol or low nitro. Easier said than done. But it is very possible. The market is now ripe because of the long engine drought. Who to do it?? I'll give you a hint, He lives in Live Oak, Florida. Given time, he is the key to putting glow plug boats back on the map. Cheap fuel (80/20 methanol) and sensibly priced engines will cause glow plug racing to be as popular as Gas is right now. :)

John

My thoughts on the nitro situation is this. Nitro is not dead but will be close to it, if something does not change. The problem is not with lack of boats of any type or hardware, that's is available everywhere from many source's. The issue is as everyone knows is the lack of engines and now to put another nail in the coffin is the cost of nitro is going up and up.
The days of good reasonably priced Italian engines from many manufacture's is over, with the exception of Nova Rossi for the toy .21 engines and CMB also K&B for the outboards. In the defense of CMB and Nova I know it seems like they are price gouging because they are the only game in town but they really are not. The big cause of the major price increase is the poor dollar exchange with the Euro. Our money is just plain weak at this time and the current prices reflect it with any product that come from europe.

Now what to do ?? Well first switch to methanol or low 5% nitro if you must. That will fix the fuel cost in a major way. Lets face it unless you have deep pockets or like to spend money like a drunken sailor the latest fuel cost of over 55 plus dollars a gallon for 50% nitro just fricken nuts and is only going to climb higher. Plus glow plugs unless you buy them by the 5 gallon bucket are costly too.

Solution: Low to NO nitro for fuel savings and the glow plug cost will disappear as a by product of fuel change. Plus, I won't have to drive around all the normal dead boats in my heat because they go lean or burn plugs on the high nitro and crap out !!

Engines ??? Well the solution is a good high performance "domestic made product" in the $250.00 to $350.00 price range that runs great on methanol or low nitro. Easier said than done. But it is very possible. The market is now ripe because of the long engine drought. Who to do it?? I'll give you a hint, He lives in Live Oak, Florida. Given time, he is the key to putting glow plug boats back on the map. Cheap fuel (80/20 methanol) and sensibly priced engines will cause glow plug racing to be as popular as Gas is right now. :)

John
John seems to understand the lack of product. Toyota?

Hi All,

This is just what I see in District 4, I most certainly could be wrong. There are alot of boaters around here and very few of these boaters run gas boats. I would say at best with all the gas boats we might get lucky and run 2 mixed heats of racing (2 is a generous number). I for one would love to see a new mac engine, and I have heard there is going to be a more cost friendly Novarossi. If nitro is dieing, nobody told us.

Paul

p.s. Have you ever tried to buy nitro at the LHS? Most newbies will pay $30 or more for 30%. Meaning the cost is gonna go up for fuel, that cost rise isn't really noticed by the person who was spending $30 a gallon for 30%. Isn't the cost for everything going up right now.

I have never seen more than 6 gas boats ever in District 4, there may be lot's but I haven't seen them.

Some of this may not make sense .................lol but I hope you get my thoughts, I am not trying to argue.

Latest posts

Back