Irwin 45 outboard tuned pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are out there but get ready to pry your wallet out of your pocket and dig deep. They are so hard to come by and are great pipes if you can find them. Many of us are very excited about the new 45 SPP Carbon Pipe that is close to production. Contact Dion on that thread to get the details. If it works as well as the 21 pipes, look out!!!!!!........... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are out there but get ready to pry your wallet out of your pocket and dig deep. They are so hard to come by and are great pipes if you can find them. Many of us are very excited about the new 45 SPP Carbon Pipe that is close to production. Contact Dion on that thread to get the details. If it works as well as the 21 pipes, look out!!!!!!........... ;)
any pic of the pipe

Here is a pic of the 7.5cc Jim Irwin Outboard Tuned Pipe. I placed a 7.5cc K&B lower unit in the pic for comparison........

IMG_3896.jpg

JYD racing has the stamps , it's a shame he has burnt people

He still owes me $600 odd for pipes I orderd and paid for year and a half ago

The worst part is I bought from him a few times with no issues then he burns me

I have had nothing but good dealings with Jimmy Eddelman but as of late I have heard from more than one source he has taken them. Too bad as he was very unselfish and helpful. Guess this economy has brought the worst out in some people.

Anyway just to throw a wrench in here there are two different stampings out there for the .45 Irwin. A larger and a smaller is the best way I can describe them and I believe the smaller was the better pipe. I have had both and preffer the smaller. When you get through trying to buy unobtanium pipes just get a Hopper Silver Bullet and set up properly will be just as competetive.

Mic

Mic,

How are you? I just wanted to ask a question about the 7.5cc silver bullet pipe. First of all, none of us here have ever owned or tried one. In your reply you say "if set up properly" would you explain this? I was just wondering what you had to do to make this pipe work.

Thanks!

-Carl

I have had nothing but good dealings with Jimmy Eddelman but as of late I have heard from more than one source he has taken them. Too bad as he was very unselfish and helpful. Guess this economy has brought the worst out in some people.

Anyway just to throw a wrench in here there are two different stampings out there for the .45 Irwin. A larger and a smaller is the best way I can describe them and I believe the smaller was the better pipe. I have had both and preffer the smaller. When you get through trying to buy unobtanium pipes just get a Hopper Silver Bullet and set up properly will be just as competetive.

Mic

Mic,

How are you? I just wanted to ask a question about the 7.5cc silver bullet pipe. First of all, none of us here have ever owned or tried one. In your reply you say "if set up properly" would you explain this? I was just wondering what you had to do to make this pipe work.

Thanks!

-Carl

Mic
Hey Carl,

Will have to have a phone conversation one of these days as we are going to watch the weather and hope to make one of the fall time trials. Been working with an FE Warhead.

Anyway as for proper setup on a pipe I mean you just can't take someones measurements and slap it on and expect big results. You need to go long and work your way in till you don't like the package. That and the balance between carb and stinger outlet, compression and chamber volume. If you don't measure acceleration with a stopwatch around bouys all you know is what makes the largest MPH which isn't always the fastest way around the course. I probably go to the conservative side with smaller stingers and carbs. Not the best SAW numbers but you score more points.

As for the Hopper vs the Irwin it won't hit as hard but that is soometimes a good thing comming through and off corners. When you hit the sweet spot on an Irwin it make more RPM than any pipe we run but it also has left us off the pipe more than any other. Tunning the Hopper is easier. I would rather have 90% of something than 99% of nothing while the field leaves you behind. All you have then is "I would have smoked em if I just got back on pipe".

Mic

Here are most of the pipes you will find for your 40 outboard tunnel that I have in my personal collection. From bottom to top:

Equi with 40 Irwin center section (My personal favorite)

Equi 40 original pipe

Irwin 40 larger "stamped" pipe

Garcia 40 pipe

Cooper 40 pipe

HTB 40 pipe

Aerotech 40 pipe

Rossi 40 pipe

IMG_3904.jpg

Number 4 is a Garcia pipe!
Thanks Bob. I forgot that one. Got it from him at the 1993 NAMBA Nationals, right before his 20 OB Hydro was cut in half and sank!!!! I have never tried it. I updated my post. BTW, has that LeeCraft shipped yet?

Man, I'll bet we built 35 or 40 prototypes of the "J" pipe before we decided to go with that long convergence design. It's best selling point was that it was forgiving and would work fairly well on a wide range of exhaust port arrangements and carry a fairly heavy boat thru the turns witout falloing off but it would never carry you up to that high band like a good matched pipe would.

-Carl

Hi Carl,

I would like to hear more on your convergence theory. The aerotech would be the pipe of choice if you had the engine to match going by that.

Pipe theory: Now this is probably the most controversial subject we could elect to talk about on here because everybody seems to have they own hypothesis about what is actually happening in there and nobody has the same theroy. I think that is why you see so many varied shapes and sizes for the same class engine. Some of the is because the people that are actually tweeking and experimenting with pipe shapes and sizes are looking for what works best with their model and engine.

I feel as though the reason the "J" pipe is so forgiving and a great all around pipe is because it is a fairly large volume and length to start with thus leans toward torque and also the long tapered convergance cone produces a broad reflective signal back to the ports. It pulls hard thru the turns and is fairly fast down the straights and suited alot of the tunnels of the time period that were on average larger and heavier boats.

Heat and reflective signal timming is 85% of what a pipe is doing for you.

-Carl

Carl,

That pipe and the heavier/wider Aerotech hull combo was the 40 mod combination to beat back in the day, especially if the weather was less than favorable. Rough water and windy conditions suited the design.

True enough Ron but (and I know you have had your share of this too) but when you got to the pond and it was a beautiful day with little or no wind and Tommy Lee walked down to the pits and set his boats up for the next heat, you knew the best you could hope for would be second because in his day, that boy handed out the A$$ kicking and everybody was going to get some before the weekend was over. I remember like it was yesterday.

Getting back to pipes, Rushing allways said that you didn't have to understand how pipes worked, just buy one that did work and put it on your boat! LOL

In reference to Nitroboater's question, my favorite pipe was the small irwin pipe. To me, it seemed to give the best all around performance of any 7.5cc pipe I had ever used. It can be fussy because it is on the edge but it will really pull the R's when it hits. You can still find these pipes on ebay and through sellouts.

Tommy Lee figured out way before anybody knew much about what made pipes work that the Equi 7.5cc pipe did not have enough volume or length to it. These first outboard pipes were great for the time but looking back now just barley worked compared to what we have these days.

When he had that center section changed like pipe #1 in your collection, he gained more needle than anybody had at that time so if you ever did get close to him, he would just stay in it hard until you used all your needle up and died and then...game over again. I have never raced the #1 pipe as shown in Ron's collection but if you ever race someone who has one on a good engine, you may be in second place that day.

Tommy Lee was the Tiger Woods of R/C Outboards and has been what has inspired me to this day to build the best boat I can.

-Carl

Latest posts

Back