Irwin 45 outboard tuned pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the cooper pipe have any convergence section inside it? Why does the Irwin bite so much harder than the silver bullit?

Dion,

When a pipe is tunned correctly and your engine has the correct head volume and squish-band height, prop, etc. everything works together without excessive heat problems.

My perfect setup was actually running a pinch rich down the straights for the first couple of laps so that when I hit the turns the added load would lean my setup. This slightly leaner condition added heat to the engine and this inturn feeds the scavaging effect and "to a point" helps keep the pipe staged through the turns. When you drop out of this effective window, your engine will fall off the pipe and die.

Listen to you engine and keep a check on the heat. Heat tells you alot when working out details.

-Carl

Yes Carl, you are sooooo right. If Tommy showed up at a race, everybody else was running for second place!!!!..... ;)

I found the Irwin pipe to be very on/off where the most power was on my old boat. I am now running it much longer to stay on, but the p&s are just about done which is probably the biggest issue now. As I am not racing it I will run it till it will run no more and then rebuild the engine and start again.

I found the Irwin pipe to be very on/off where the most power was on my old boat. I am now running it much longer to stay on, but the p&s are just about done which is probably the biggest issue now. As I am not racing it I will run it till it will run no more and then rebuild the engine and start again.
Dion,

What engine and what exhaust timing? Exhaust stock from factory or mod?

Hi Ron,

Don't laugh too loud, but it is an old 8701 with a Keeley button that I running at the moment with stock timing. Pipes and fuel is where u get my power on this one.

Dion,

Thats still a good motor. An inboard "pipe timing" or DF P/S will light that thing up and be better suited and timed for a tuned pipe.

Latest posts

Back