IMPBA Sport 20/40 2012 Rule Proposal, Author Needs Input Please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing stuff, you want to change sport 40 into some class with outrigger hardware and prop 2 inches behind the transom? I would say NEVER do this.
Weren't you an FE guy where all five sport hydro classes (N,P,Q,S &T) allow transom mounted struts? Talk about amazing ........ :rolleyes:
Once again for those who seem to not get this part, out of the EIGHT sport hydro classes in IMPBA - sport 20, sport 40, gas sport hydro, N, P, Q, S and T sport hydro FE's - sport 40 is the only class not allowing transom mounted struts. It's one simple question that nobody yet has given an explanation WHY it should not be the same for all??? :wacko:
I dont care about the Strut rule,BUT I do care about the rest of it. Gas Sport Hydro Rule was changed to allow Illegal boats to be legal. Lets not talk about the other classes just Sport 20 and 40
Mikey THAT is the point, ALL the other sport hydro classes in the IMPBA allow transom mounted struts. All I want is for someone to offer up a reasonable argument as to why sport 40 should not be the same and so far nobody has done so. Again the sole motivation here (for me anyways) is consistency across the board concerning strut location options in the sport hydro classes, nothing more and nothing less............
I don't care about the strut mount so long as the strut is limited for size as in the other classes. But if we change it what will I do with my drill bit that will cut the slot in the bottom? Only Phil Thomas and I have one of these.

When I first started racing 30 years ago,there was no sport 20. Sport 40 had to resemble a scale boat and the drive dog could not pass the transom. If you try to change the rule for a year,many people will spend alot on new hulls and hardware and the rule will change. We used to have many scale boats racing in Dist 1 and the cost of fuel killed them off. Don't change the rules on sport 40,start a new class. If it's not broken don't try to fix it.We have lost to many nitro guys already so keep things the way they are. We are already joining classes so people can run(electrics with nitro cats,tunnels,sport.20). Please don't push the line and keep things the same.IMHO Tom Galdys

Sounds like some electric guys trying to take over the Sport 20 class. I am not an active member and it's none of my concern. I come over here and I read this and I remember why I quit organized racing. :(

Amazing stuff, you want to change sport 40 into some class with outrigger hardware and prop 2 inches behind the transom? I would say NEVER do this.
Weren't you an FE guy where all five sport hydro classes (N,P,Q,S &T) allow transom mounted struts? Talk about amazing ........ :rolleyes:
Once again for those who seem to not get this part, out of the EIGHT sport hydro classes in IMPBA - sport 20, sport 40, gas sport hydro, N, P, Q, S and T sport hydro FE's - sport 40 is the only class not allowing transom mounted struts. It's one simple question that nobody yet has given an explanation WHY it should not be the same for all??? :wacko:
I dont care about the Strut rule,BUT I do care about the rest of it. Gas Sport Hydro Rule was changed to allow Illegal boats to be legal. Lets not talk about the other classes just Sport 20 and 40
Mikey THAT is the point, ALL the other sport hydro classes in the IMPBA allow transom mounted struts. All I want is for someone to offer up a reasonable argument as to why sport 40 should not be the same and so far nobody has done so. Again the sole motivation here (for me anyways) is consistency across the board concerning strut location options in the sport hydro classes, nothing more and nothing less............
I don't care about the strut mount so long as the strut is limited for size as in the other classes. But if we change it what will I do with my drill bit that will cut the slot in the bottom? Only Phil Thomas and I have one of these.
Don To answer your question. The Sport 40 class rules were first, but no one followed the strut rules when they started the other sport classes. That is why the various districts make up their own classes and can not co-mingle with the rest of IMPBA. I race alot in District 2 and 14. Never seen a Sport 40 with the strut on the transom racing in those two districts, and I bet there are at least 40 to 50 of them between the two districts. Now we want to change the rule so a few guys that didn't read the rules when they built their boats can run with the rest of the legal boats. There is the problem.

Sounds like some electric guys trying to take over the Sport 20 class. I am not an active member and it's none of my concern. I come over here and I read this and I remember why I quit organized racing. :(
What?.. dont get it.. I mean I get the part as to why you quit.................. :wacko:

Grim

When I first started racing 30 years ago,there was no sport 20. Sport 40 had to resemble a scale boat and the drive dog could not pass the transom. If you try to change the rule for a year,many people will spend alot on new hulls and hardware and the rule will change. We used to have many scale boats racing in Dist 1 and the cost of fuel killed them off. Don't change the rules on sport 40,start a new class. If it's not broken don't try to fix it.We have lost to many nitro guys already so keep things the way they are. We are already joining classes so people can run(electrics with nitro cats,tunnels,sport.20). Please don't push the line and keep things the same.IMHO Tom Galdys
Tom, at this moment some people in US already spend time on new hull and hardward to make faster boat. I don't think the people will spend more time on new hull if the rules change.

You and I are in the same district, do you know why i don't go at the D1 championship race at Elmara? Because the elmara club don't put a derogation for the strut rule. I went to London and they were happy to see Quebec club members. We race with the U.S. and Ontario guy's and nobody crying about the configuration of our boat. I'm sure it will be the same this weekend at Ottawa race.

You will lose nothing if the strut rule change. Give me one thing you will lose.

Sébastien

MMQ president

Are you serious Grim? I don't want to unload on you here, but your part of the reason I would never run FE again. You and Darin Jordin and the clique with your 100 classes and selling your boats and hop up crap. Get real....now your trying to ruin a historic nitro class, what, do you have a new AquaCraft .21 from China your going to sell?

Run in the rigger class and leave Sport 20 alone.

What?.. dont get it.. I mean I get the part as to why you quit.................. :wacko:

Grim

Are you serious Grim? I don't want to unload on you here, but your part of the reason I would never run FE again. You and Darin Jordin and the clique with your 100 classes and selling your boats and hop up crap. Get real....now your trying to ruin a historic nitro class, what, do you have a new AquaCraft .21 from China your going to sell?

Run in the rigger class and leave Sport 20 alone.

Grim
Who the heck is is this and he dont race,, just go play and leave us alone.

The Hobart race filled Sport 40 first.24 boats at one race so Whats wrong with this thread?

The Hobart race filled Sport 40 first.24 boats at one race so Whats wrong with this thread?
Im not sure what the problem is, Sport 40 is fine but the update is needed, we will see what it looks like and get a chance to vote if we want to stay with the old set of rules.

Not sure why some think one group will benefit more than others thats not what this is about, just should make it more black and white.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody is very jellous..or something.. lol

Hill.. you crack me up and I do mean

CrAcK!

Grim

BTY.. My Sport 40 is locked and loaded and ready for Hobert.. Yep.. I do play toy boats.

Sport 40 clique with me?.. yep.. 23 of my best friends!

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
My question doesn't pertain to the strut rule but the enclosed exhaust rule I keep hearing about. The exhaust on mine shows and I have absolutely no way of running it inside without it showing. What's going to happen to the boats with the exhaust showing if they change the rule?

Perhaps Paul will take baby steps with the rule proposal and only focus on the allowable hull design portion, and back burner the strut and exhaust stuff for a later time.

Don To answer your question. The Sport 40 class rules were first, but no one followed the strut rules when they started the other sport classes. That is why the various districts make up their own classes and can not co-mingle with the rest of IMPBA. I race alot in District 2 and 14. Never seen a Sport 40 with the strut on the transom racing in those two districts, and I bet there are at least 40 to 50 of them between the two districts. Now we want to change the rule so a few guys that didn't read the rules when they built their boats can run with the rest of the legal boats. There is the problem.
Tom, our strut configuration on our boat are the same since many many year. We cannot change the past but we can build the futur. All around us change and i think the sport 40 class need change. If the strut rule change, nobody need to modify her boat to be legal, but if the rule not change you're required to modify our boats and make several test again to find a good set-up. I think it's not fair for everyone.

Sébastien

MMQ president

I fill the same way.Allow the strut to be mounted ether way,The guys that want them under the boat keep them and the ones that want then on the transome can put it there.Not shure there is an advantage other then ajustability.

Sorry everyone for the delay, I didnt even see anyone actually showing interest in this post. I asked the builders/designers for input got a little in the beginning... but never got much feedback after that point. I have been asked to see what i have and will hopefully be getting some direction.... I am trying to please everyone and not pleasing anyone and got lotsa **** going on in my real life at the moment. I have seen posts regarding exhaust.... that will not be part of this proposal ( to many boats that are running now would have to be changed). Strut, not sure if that will be added to this rule or be proposed on it own. If this rule doesnt pass then the strut rule wont .... the strut rule change on its own would probably have a good chance of passing.

Again the Whole point of this proposal was to try and keep the look and feel of the class...

Paul

The rule is written as stated in previous posts. Similar to an UNLIMITED HYDRO. That means strut under. Sebastien,you said you and your fellow Canadians build them that way to be a faster boat. THE RULES SHOULD BE FOLLOWED,UNTIL OR IF THEY ARE CHANGED. Don't build or try to use an illegal boat as long as the rule reads the way it reads.Sorry you did not make Elmira,we all missed you. The other sport classes came well after Sport 40 and rules were written for them but our fore fathers did not see a need for a change to a GREAT class. Don't let the few ruin it for the rest of us that love our Sport 40's the way they are. PT has been building a great boat for a long,long time and I don't see him changing them. He knows the rules and am very greatful for his knowledge and legal boats AND LEGAL INSTRUCTIONS. Don Ferette, why would you allow illegal boats to run in a great class. The WHY you keep asking about is about current rules. Builds after the FACT are trying to get rules changed. It just is not right and keep the rules on SPORT 40 ALONE. Tom Galdys

Back