IMPBA Sport 20/40 2012 Rule Proposal, Author Needs Input Please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't I know Paul. Have been involved in cleaning up the Nitro Sport Hydro rules in NAMBA. I think we have it cleaned up rather well. The problem we have in NAMBA is that rather than have one set of hull definitions that apply to all NAMBA boats for some reason each power system has there own idea of what constitutes a Sport Hull. It sure would have been better if the newer classes would have stayed with the original Hull definitions and just specified the power source and possible dimensions. I remember a few years back getting an email from someone about a specific hull and it's legality. I responded as if it were a nitro boat as they had contacted the Nitro Sport Chairman and was suddenly in the middle of an issue between the electric chair and the boat owner. But all in all I think that we have a set of rules that keep the boats closer to our full size counterparts without having to be Scale. The membership did just vote to allow transom mounted struts in our sport classes to closer emulate the current state of the full size boats. It may be interesting to see where that change takes us. I would recommend that in your proposal you attempt to clarify things by providing a set of go/no go measurements and not leave things open to interpretation. It seams that whenever you have something that is left up to perception rather than a definitive measurement 2 people will give you 3 different answers as to weather it is "in the spirit". Another thing I did that changed my take on things was go volunteer on a 2.5 stock team for a couple of seasons. I think it helped to see all the different ideas in the inboard APBA classes. If we are supposed to be emulating the full size inboard hydros we may need to adapt our way of thinking in the future. There are certainly some newer style hulls in the full size ranks that would not be legal Sport hulls in either organization that may be good or bad it's up to our members to help us decide that. Good luck on your efforts if I can help or you want to exchange ideas let me know. It would be nice if we can work together to encourage crossover between NAMBA and IMPBA in the Sport Hydro racing scene.

Eric,

How ya doing? Man i'm running 3 boats in 5 class now. Add the "Old Card Table" and this old man will be thrashed! :lol: Your going to have a ball. The IMPBA guys run fast,hard & clean on & off the race course! ;)

Don

I don't know how far along Paul is on the re-write but one thing I'd like to revisit is the strut must be under the boat deal on the sport 40's. There are some beautiful GP replica boats running in Canada and elsewhere with .45 motors and cannot run in IMPBA because of this rule. Here's a example-

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=52651&view=findpost&p=492403

It's time to move forward and allow transom mounted struts like we already do for the sport .20 and gas sport boats, let's have some consistency in the sport hydro classes. :)

I don't know how far along Paul is on the re-write but one thing I'd like to revisit is the strut must be under the boat deal on the sport 40's. There are some beautiful GP replica boats running in Canada and elsewhere with .45 motors and cannot run in IMPBA because of this rule. Here's a example-

http://www.intlwater...ndpost&p=492403

It's time to move forward and allow transom mounted struts like we already do for the sport .20 and gas sport boats, let's have some consistency in the sport hydro classes. :)
I'm in with you with that one why not let them run in IMPBA with the strut mounted on the back all the other classes run that way.

maybe it's time to revise this rule so My guys in D1 can go and race without chainging our club race flyers to accept them at are event's.

regards

Luc W.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm in with you with that one why not let them run in IMPBA with the strut mounted on the back all the other classes run that way.

maybe it's time to revise this rule so My guys in D1 can go and race without chainging our club race flyers to accept them at are event's.

regards

Luc W.
Luc it's your guys that first come to mind. Personally I see NO reason why we should not do this. :)

Pretty sure that is in the update, when we will see it, I dont know

I agree with you Don, it's time to change the sport 40 rules. I talked with some guy's in last two year and i see on this forum that everyone agree to accept the strut behind the transom. This concern about the strut exist from a long time. It's time to go foward in this class.

Sébastien

SPORT 40 is not SCALE 40 bottom line.

Its intent was a full body RC hydro with out the dedication or work involved in racing 1/8 scale.

This makes it a dedicated "fun" RC boat racing class with its own specific set of rules.

I hope we can get this focus (weather one cares about the above or not) and just get the class better defined and tightened up.

The class is working but in all of RC boating its the one that gets “challenged” by intent and lack of rule support the most.... Then in steps animosity and hurt feelings and crying men.. let alone how hard it can be to design to the class.

Let me know when the dust settles. Its one of my favorite classes to race.

Grim

I don't see a problem with the sport 40 class. I have been racing for about 15 years and in all that time, every race I have attended sport 40 has been the largest class or next to the largest class. That should tell you that there is Nothing wrong with the rules. If you want to paint your sport 40 up like a real boat then do so and stick the strut through the bottom of the boat and race it. If cutting a slot in the bottom of you boat is to much for you then don't run the class. If you want to run a scale style boat then move up to 1/8 scale. Sport 40 is just that a SPORT class. I don't want to see any changes in this class. Why mess up something that isn't broke.

Buddy

I don't see a problem with the sport 40 class. I have been racing for about 15 years and in all that time, every race I have attended sport 40 has been the largest class or next to the largest class. That should tell you that there is Nothing wrong with the rules. If you want to paint your sport 40 up like a real boat then do so and stick the strut through the bottom of the boat and race it. If cutting a slot in the bottom of you boat is to much for you then don't run the class. If you want to run a scale style boat then move up to 1/8 scale. Sport 40 is just that a SPORT class. I don't want to see any changes in this class. Why mess up something that isn't broke.

Buddy
Please explain WHY should it be the only IMPBA sport hydro class that does not allow transom mounted struts and "because that's the way it's been" is not the answer. There is no performance gains as that got dispproved a while ago and it makes life easier for the average boater. Besides you said it yourself Sport 40 is just that a SPORT class so why should it not be like all the other SPORT classes? And suggesting someone not run the class because they might have difficulties with the challenge of a thru hull strut mounting? Really?

Im not suggesting we do not explore off the transom.

BUT.. I don’t believe for one second that I cannot "benefit" performance wise from placing the prop back further and away from the transom. I have raced sport 20..

So.. I for one am not "buying" the.. there is no difference in performance gig.

I also don’t think sport 40 is “broke” I do however feel the sport boat racer could benefit from an “updated” rule set.

Grim

I agree with you Grim that the sport 40 is not a scale class and it's not the subject that we discuss.

But, i go in the same sens of Don; why all the other class accept the strut behind the transom and not the sport 40?

To answer Buddy, the goal of this, is to accept all American and canadian boat in the same class.

Sebastien

Sebastien,

This is the first time I have heard this as the "goal".. I cannot say its not a bad goal just the first time i have heard this..

Grim

I wish they would just hurry up and clear up the rules before I start another Sport 40. I know its a difficult decision but something needs to be done. Seems like IMPBA is behind the 8 Ball. Namba seems to on top of things. Just my 2 cents.

Buddy
Please explain WHY should it be the only IMPBA sport hydro class that does not allow transom mounted struts and "because that's the way it's been" is not the answer. There is no performance gains as that got dispproved a while ago and it makes life easier for the average boater. Besides you said it yourself Sport 40 is just that a SPORT class so why should it not be like all the other SPORT classes? And suggesting someone not run the class because they might have difficulties with the challenge of a thru hull strut mounting? Really?

Well Sport 40 was the First sport class and my personal opinion is that sport 20 should have been a direct copy of the sport 40 rules with the only exceptions being motor size and boat length. There are only 2 sport classes( 20 & 40) and why the 20 rules did not followed the 40 rules is beyond me. Now answer this for me. Why do you fill like the rules need be changed for a few guys that purposely built their sport boats outside the written rules. They built them the way they wanted to so their is a class they can race in, it's called 40 hydro. There problem solved. I know you won't like that answer but they do have a class for them to race in so let them race in the 40 hydro class.

Buddy

Back