IMPBA legal outboards

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, all you would be asking would be an L shaped bracket attached to a flat transom to appease those rules of the 'turntable' outboards.

Still would be running the same lower, would still be legal. We can clarify and dissect rules all we want. Are those really what grow entry numbers? We want as many options on the market as possible, with the limited options were already faced with in the outboard community.

What has happened here is that the rules (by the book) have not been broken, they have been defeated. The rule book does not give a detailed enough explanation of what an OUTBOARD is supposed to be and what and where a TRANSOM is supposed to be.

So, if it were up to me, here is what I would do.

1. Put a limit on how far the vertical transom can be positioned forward in the boat.

2. Put a limit on how far the powerhead can be forward in the boat. (Defeats a design with the powerhead hanging over the transom)

What does this do? It defeats the turntable set ups because they don't work if they are forced to be mostly outside of the boat. (Get it?... Outboard....mostly outside of the boat.

25% is not going to cut it. That allows an engine to be mounted 9" forward in a 36" boat.

10% max. transom inset is more like it. That allows 2.8" inset on a 28" hull and 3.6" inset on a 36" hull and a 4.5" inset on a 45" hull (gas)

That simple rule forces almost all of the unit to be outside of the boat. If you can make it work then run it. The 10% rule would force it to be an outboard unit no matter how it swivels.

All of this outboard definition is because one person bitched saying it was not a outboard. I'm not going to throw that persons name out there.

It's toy boats and we act like we get paid for this crap. Ohh wait im going to ask IMPBA to tear down every boat after every heat of F hydro that uses the CMB 91RS or 91RSEVO because it can be a 101RS or 101RS EVO.

Julian

This is not a follow up to Shane.. (hope you are well buddy).. this is for all reading in.

Mark has a good idea with this.. This is just to help clear things up.

I like innovation.. cool stuff.. But part of what makes a "class a class" is a good definition of the class. Its also fun to race boats that have limits.. like Sport Tunnel and Sport 40 and the like.. Working within the limits of the rules, doing well in the class, is always more rewarding to me then innovation.. (proly just me)

Lets race!

Grim

It really comes down to what the people who actually race want. Thus the differences between IMPBA Sport Tunnel and NAMBA Stock Tunnel as an example. There's a lot more hassle and compliance checking in NAMBA than in IMPBA, but those are the rules people wanted in NAMBA. The same can be said about the outboard definition. As was pointed out, we don't have readily available, low cost "true" outboards over 3.5 cc any more. When we did, there was very little problem since nearly everyone ran K&B.

Lohring Miller

A little birdie told me that John Otto now has a source for brand new k&b 7.5 lower units if anyone needs them
default_smile.png

We have plenty of outboard engines now thanks to Novarossi. If John has a source for new lowers as well, along with the Lawless and OS there should be plenty of outboard power available now.

Otto also has everything you would need to make the turn table work starter belts,1/4 flex shafts, 1/4 hex flex coupler ,fuel tubing , and the most important the wickedly awesome fuel he brews up just for the turntables

Back