IMPBA legal outboards

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care if you cut a hole in the cockpit area, make a transom and bolt an outboard in a tractor drive position. WE NEED more boats and support for races, not controversy. This isn't like the turbine engine at Indy. Homebrew lowers are not dominating racing, just filling a void for larger displacement motors.

Mic
Well

Said Mic I have to agree.

How about this definition:

The transom shall be nearly vertical, but not measured.

The transom shall be no more farther forward from the rear of the sponsons than 25% of the overall length of the boat.

The outboard motor shall be mounted to outside of the transom or the top of transom floor (the area behind the transom) or both.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Mic, yes, we need more boaters. But the turnstyle lower is what caused this controversy. It doesn't look like any outboard throughout history.

A new person coming in will ask where can I get one of those? Deep pockets. That won't bring people in.

What Bob posted on the first page, with his above updates works. It's a step forward over the current definition.

Current IMPBA Outboard rules:

VII - OUTBOARD RULES

A. Engine and Hull Specifications

1. There are two outboard classes - Tunnel and Hydro (Outrigger).

2. There are six engine classes – A, B, C, D, E, and F.

3. The tunnel outboard classes shall not lock down engines nor use an auxiliary steering system.

4. The hydro outboard classes may lock down engine and steer by an auxiliary steering system.

The rest of the Outboard rules deal with "Sport", so it's not related to any of this discussion, except where to mount the motor.

The rules now are fine! All this B/S is the reason I have gotten out of tunnel racing. I used to commercial fish before the net ban and we ran outboards that were mounted in the center of the boat not on the transom. So I guess that was not really a outboard was it? If people would spend the same amount time at the pond that they spend trying to outlaw someone's one off design maybe they would be a lot happier! These are modified classes! I welcome all new designs of drives. LETS RACE!!!!!!

But the turnstyle lower is what caused this controversy. It doesn't look like any outboard throughout history.
I disagree... with solid evidence...

IMG_4763.jpg

_wsb_515x388_C+Mod.jpg

14005132_2_l.jpg

Every one of those above is 1) and "outboard throughout history", and 2), a "Turntable" design. 3) They don't "swing" from a pivot point like our present lowers do.

Lynx, Cobra, Heck even a Vision... don't look like any outboard hull throughout history either. Yet... they all fit the working definition of what an OPC Tunnel Hull is supposed to be, right?

I think people are looking for problems where they don't exist.

And each of those examples are all mounted on the transom. Thanks for pointing that out. Oh, where's the "table" in those examples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

something like this outbord hydro , https://www.google.com/patents/US3648640 .

i like such unortherdox building and it show ,that nearly everything exist in it's way and was test in the past . But this can be a goal with todays technic it can be succesfull . Giv it a try and hold open the outbord class for this unque designs . We have to much all look a like

boats .

Happy Amps Christian

So if the cowl is in front of motor and is up 25% of boat length of boat and has transom it still won't make you guys happy .

Here's a side view

20160916_161545.jpg

Here's a picture of my shaman with a mod 21 motor it has 1 1/2 step of on it .if I took it off the cowl would cover the motor no difference .

Here's a picture

20160916_162655.jpg

For those who poo poo a better definition please remember.. this is NOT JUST ABOUT YOU...

what we see.. That's why I quit, that's why I got out, that's why I...

This is a VERY simple update. Its easy and makes since.

We as racers are not trying to crap on innovation.. goodness.. we have not even tapped boat design in tunnel racing.. something HAS to be black and white..

You cannot make black and white from grey...

Build a better mouse trap within the rules (intent of the rules at this point) and draw your weapon.

Grim

For those who poo poo a better definition please remember.. this is NOT JUST ABOUT YOU...

what we see.. That's why I quit, that's why I got out, that's why I...

This is a VERY simple update. Its easy and makes since.

We as racers are not trying to crap on innovation.. goodness.. we have not even tapped boat design in tunnel racing.. something HAS to be black and white..

You cannot make black and white from grey...

Build a better mouse trap within the rules (intent of the rules at this point) and draw your weapon.

Grim
Good points Mike. I hate seeing people ***** about how its the reason they got out and blah blah blah

Instead of people saying its crap...this thread is going no where...just say nothing and let the people who care about it moving forward post.

Everyone here is correct in their own way. Shanes photos are not of "traditional" outboards...I wouldnt run one purely because of looks (i am shallow like that simetimes
default_smile.png
)

But who cares about racing against it...if new people see it has no advantage overall then why would they bother? From what I am told they (shanes examples) are certainly not less maintenance....

I think Bobs suggestings on the 25% max inset are in the right direction

I have been running tunnels for 30 years and if someone broke the rules then it should have been taken care of back than and not bitching about it now.

I have been running tunnels for 30 years
So does this trump my 2 years back into racing? My opinion means what? I've been running tunnels since 1985. Wait, that's 31 years.

broke the rules.
What rules? 4 lines define a Outboard Tunnel in IMPBA.

not bitching about it now.
I'm trying to have a discussion on updating the definition of an IMPBA Outboard Tunnel. Do you have anything to add that might be beneficial to this?

Look at Caudwell Marine F1H20
Per the rules, that would work.

While I waited out a storm at the pond today, this was very much on my thoughts. The rules were written quickly to appease the then front office. Seems like outboards were the un-wanted step-child at that time. Have we not progressed into adulthood yet? Can we not agree on making the rules better?

After getting a nasty feeling while listening to political ads on the radio, one word came to mind that our congress has lost sight of.

Compromise.

What some seem (myself included) is better wording for the definition of an outboard tunnel.

Since there is a need for better equipment to handle todays hot motors, the turnstyle should be written in as a legal setup. I've never seen a unit up close and personal. So, I'm aksing - Can they be setup to mount via a transom? It could be stated that any flat mounted versions that have raced at a sanctioned event is grandfathered in. Newer units need to be mounted on transom.

Those are only thoughts, suggestions. Change / add anything???

What classes require these units? Maybe make them only legal for say F? Does E need them?

Hi ,

for true i do not understand all this discusion . Outbord is a clear defination by it self and there are many ways to build one .And we all have life with that sinc xxx and it was no problem . If someone will build a spezial type ,wy not . It is our hobby and we all have fun with the wide ,wide field of modelpowerboats .

attatched a very spezial boat from Vic Smeed England.

Happy Amps Christian

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well owning several outboards my thoughs there are 3 types of prop drives, inboard, outboard and inboard-with outdrive

Out board should be the engine must attach to the drive and swivel with the prop and must mount to the transom of the boat.

Thats what OS KB Lawless arrowshark insane calagero

The design with the engine mounted up front and swivel only the prop and then hang an engine cover like an out board is not an outboard

Just my humble opinion

Greg

Back