IMPBA Internats Update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a shame but for the impba par for the cource. Some districts get great support, others get none. Just my 2 cents :angry:
OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT In order to put on a good race it all starts by keeping boaters minds on the event. Not a tickle a month.

As President of PMBC in Ohio, I know the huge amount of work and efforts that’s involved with hosting the IMPBA NATS. When we did it in 2007, I think the last month became such blur of work, worries, and excitement, that even today I can not remember parts. But, I'll tell you after it was all said and done, maybe even as far as weeks after, I realized it was all well worth it, and am very proud of our club and it's members. I've talked with Pete over the phone, and understand some of the frustrations the club is going through. I can tell you my feelings are that if they end up hosting or canceling, it's not due to a lack of interest or intensions on their part. If the entries are not there, it will not be the grand race it's intended to be.

I started making plans to attend the Elmira NATS last year and have had my entry form sitting on my desk for over three months. Unfortunately due to a family illness, I may not be able to attend, but wish the club all the best and thank you.

Mike Laing

President PMBC

I know the Internats Mike and his club hosted was one of the most enjoyable ones I had been to. Really had a great time! They had all sorts of family activities available after the racing was over for each day. Lots of good clean racing. :D

As President of PMBC in Ohio, I know the huge amount of work and efforts that’s involved with hosting the IMPBA NATS. When we did it in 2007, I think the last month became such blur of work, worries, and excitement, that even today I can not remember parts. But, I'll tell you after it was all said and done, maybe even as far as weeks after, I realized it was all well worth it, and am very proud of our club and it's members. I've talked with Pete over the phone, and understand some of the frustrations the club is going through. I can tell you my feelings are that if they end up hosting or canceling, it's not due to a lack of interest or intensions on their part. If the entries are not there, it will not be the grand race it's intended to be.
I started making plans to attend the Elmira NATS last year and have had my entry form sitting on my desk for over three months. Unfortunately due to a family illness, I may not be able to attend, but wish the club all the best and thank you.

Mike Laing

President PMBC

And the QUESTION goes forth:

will there or won't there be an Internats?

enquiring minds want to know.

Carl

We have a very good total of 80 entries from District I.

We have only a total of 20 entries from all of the other Districts.

In response to the above:

Then you should hold the race anyway. You (the club) made a commitment to the entire IMPBA membership

Forget possible profit and club bennifits or sacrifices to continue going forward and holding the race.

Regardless of number of entries, you can still hold it and keep it to the highest of IMPBA standards.

Dont be the first club to have a DNF, and say, Oh not enough entries,we quit,sorry people. The world has enough quitters for now.

Your entire group has put so much effort in to this so far, why stop now? Your in lap 5 coming around bouy 4 ,5 ,6 heading to the finish line, have the race,live up to your commiment to the IMPBA membership.

Bob M

Looks like someone jumped at a chance to back out. This turn out is also an example of why the internats should be in a more central location.

Looks like someone jumped at a chance to back out. This turn out is also an example of why the internats should be in a more central location.
Kinda lame to point fingers, and play the blame game.I don't think I have met a more dedicated individual to this hobby than Pete (Forcier) and am sure that the decision of the Board of Directors along with the Elmira group is carried with a heavy heart. Centrally located ? EVANSVILLE was about as geographically centrally located as can be presented, and turnout was low. The times we are currently in will pass, things will level out, and we just have to look FORWARD and be ready.

Florida is a NAMBA district, and this year we adjusted the race schedule according to the turnouts from the second half of '08. There is not a lack of desire to race, but peoples disposable income has dropped, and when the belt tightens, luxuries go by the wayside to necessity. Turnouts are ok, and in time we will review for '10. I use to travel, but now am lucky to run one or two big races a year, and support the local if I can.

Show respect to those that made a tough decision, and realize it's nothing personal.

Randy Premo

contest director/Brandon Model Boaters

Okay let's look at it this way:

IF this is true then moving forward IF another club stepped up could we push the date out to give this club time to put something together?

From where I stand, (and I dont' know much about hosting the Internats). I would say a halfway ambitious club may be able to put something together in 90-120 days? (help me out anyone who has hosted a nats).

Chew on That :)

Norm Doerr

When are we going to hear something from the actual cd's of the race. I haven't had a email on this yet. They have my email address it was on my entry form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was meaning the contestants that had already sent in the entry forms. It seems that they would send out a email to everybody that entered a email to know about their decision to cancel the Internats.

Hi All,

I for one am hoping by this weekend the decision to cancel the 2009 Internats will be Changed. I know there is alot thats involved with running the Nats, regarding the 2008 Nats (Thank god for Mike, Russ and Garrett.................... They did or had all the behind the scenes work and Tom for the Internats website). Please keep the negatives to a minimum and lets just hope for the best.

Thank You,

Paul

It appears that some people here copied and pasted their replies in here identical to those posted over at Jim's so here is mine:

My point of view.

A lot of members have probably sent deposits to reserve motel rooms possibly non-refundable, had to wheel and deal to get time off, other district races rescheduled as this club intended to put on the race and now isn't. There have got to be donations from a lot of companies, hobby shops or whatever that aren't going to get handed out. I'm guessing that the IMPBA has also paid out up-front money to aid in putting the race on and now they're cancelling? Only 100 entries? Anyone ever go to what is considered a National event FE boat race? We have more entries at a district nitro and/or gas race! From what I've read so far, it was because they weren't going to make a fistful of money on this event. Should they repay the IMPBA for an event that they were granted money for? All IMPBA members help to pay for this event, not just those who show up.

If members are wanting to race and have waited until the last second, maybe they'd better get off their duffs and let them know their intent of showing up.

I would like to appologize to the Southern Tier club for not getting my entry in before now, but as has been said here before. Times are kind of tough like getting vacation time approved & making sure I have plenty of cash available. We are way behind getting entries to races sent out this year. I finally got vacation approved last week. All excuses aside I was very suprised when I read the post Monday. I really hope that the race is not cancelled. I now don't know whether to send entry or not.

Keeping my hopes up because every Internats we have attended have been special in one way or another. I think this year would be the same.

Greg

Very easily the question could have been posted here and on the Dock asking how many more entries are out there to still be mailed in before the towel was thrown in.

At least that would have given some indication as to how many more entries were going to be on the way, but to my knowledge, that never happened.

I guess it is what it is.

I apologize but I couldn't keep quiet anymore.

I posted who is coming to the internats in Elmira a little bit ago (see link) and there were only a couple answers. Maybe if there were more people that said "I will be coming but haven't sent my entry in yet" Maybe they wouldn't of canceled. I don't know if it me but it seems that since it got canceled there are people now speaking up saying they are going. Isn't that a little case of a little to much to late.

I was a past District 1 Director and it takes alot of time and effort to put on a National event. It also takes alot of money upfront to put on the race. You need to put up money for Plaques US-1 and heat racing and special events over month before the race. The Plaque company's like to be paid up front. Especially in today's economy. Then you have to reserve the hotel room and food for the Banquet. That takes money.

Yes IMPBA puts in some money for the race. Yes they pay for a few things. But what no one knows or doesn't realize is that they don't keep all the funds they have to repay a portion of that money fronted to the host club.

As for donations. That is probably far and few between. You don't have the big donations for this race like you probably did in the past. Nitro has slowed down a bit and that Gas Nationals are the premier race for donations for gas. Then you add the Namba Nationals (which has over 500 boats registered). Namba doesn't seem to have a problem with the economy. Yes it is expensive and yes the price of gas is going up and up.

As for those who say "I don't like to go up north it should be centrally localized" That is BS. It is moved around for guys that like to race around the country. Racers will go where the premier race is and some of us that have made plans to go will be disappointed but will live with the decision of the host club. IMPBA has had trouble getting people to host this race for years. Let it be the format or what. There are clubs out there in the past that would love to host the event but the time trial days were eating up time and people wouldn't stick around the extra couple days just because of that. There are racers out there that say it just isn't a true test for a US-1 if you can't be the best in straightline/oval time trials and heat racing. Well it isn't a true test when you can't even get enough racers to come out and race.

Maybe it is time for IMPBA to wake up and combine the Gas Nationals and the Nitro Nationals to 1 race. Call it the IMPBA Nationals and do away with time trials. You want to go fast go to the time trail events. Namba has been running a combined event for many years and it is working for them. It might be time to step back and see what is working and what isn't. Maybe it is time to retire the "US-1" patches. They were a great thing in years past but if we stay in the past time keeps passing us by. Time for change. New format.

My 2 cents.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=33670&hl=

Teddy,

Please don't take offense to this o.k.

But have you ever one a us-1?

I have 3 of them and i can tell you that it is with out a doubt one of if not the hardest things in model boating to do.

I agree there needs to be changes. . it is a shame that this all has or had to transpire this way.. I guess if the club feels it can't do it.. then so be it.

but this part of the situation is not the impba's fault. the impba didn't make cause them to cancel or possibly cancel the race. the host club chose that.

i do agree maybe it is time we rethink things a bit.. and get the event back to what it used to be

THE PREMIER EVENT in impba.

again.. not trying to stir the pot or fight.. just speaking my 2 cents

Chris,

I am not offended at all.

I don't have a US-1 title. I never had an interest in getting one. I understand it is one of the hardest things to get. I have friends that have many of the titles and alot of hardwork and time goes into getting one. But the past years it has been the only thing that has been keeping that Time trials in the Internats is getting the elusive US-1 title. Years ago it was something to shoot for but times change.

I don't mean to offend anyone thinking I am blaming IMPBA. I am only saying that some think that putting up a sign that there is a race and it is that easy. IMBPA as a whole needs to look at the future and re-examine where we want to go.

No IMPBA didn't make them or cause them to cancel the race. The host club probably saw no other option. With no registrations and no donations to speak of and the state of the economy there hands were probably tied behind their backs. I can't speak for them.

I would love the IMPBA Internats to come back to the state it used to be in as being one of the best races around. Time will tell though.

There have been numerous races canceled over the past years because of poor turn out. People wait til the last minute to register then get stoked when the race gets canceled. Yes every job has rules as to how and when you need to put in your vacation. It stinks but it is life.

This is a hobby not a professional sport to make a living in.

Back