IMPBA Internats Format

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What format would you prefer?

• Current format

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nitro heat racing only

• Gas,FE, Nitro heat racing only

• Total voters
I voted for current format, there wouldn't be a US1 for just heat racing and I would think thats a major part of this event.

Paul

p.s. This poll if it is going to be considered an option should be put on paper and sent to every club president and should be discussed at a club level in all fairness. There are alot of racers I know that don't go on the Internet.

That's way too funny... I just voted for all three and it actually let me do it.

I prefer the current format because it weeds out the "first you have to finish to finish first" guys. The US1 heat race, straightaway, and oval trials is more of a package deal.

I do understand the need for change and believe the IMPBA has done that. They have made it so the host club has more options than ever and still struggle to get a club to host the event. Someone will step up. They always do. Support is the key.

What I find interesting is that people dis a club for their efforts that have never hosted an event in their life. I've seen it at the club level where members go out of their way to make waves. Basically, If you don't vote, don't *****.

Take a look at the more successful races in your districts. They are the ones that promote themselves and take care of the people that attend. I still think to pull off a race at a National event level, you need an Andy Lofton or Roger Hooks Jr. on the team. Put an "Internats Executive" together and the rest will take care of itself.

That's my $.02 Cdn that will soon be worth more than the US greenback.

Ron J.

First of all I completely respect the accomplishment it takes to achieve a US-1 Title. You have proven that 'YOU ARE THE MAN' in every aspect of the class you have chosen. To those that have achieved this great task- hats off- you deserve it.

From a newbies point of view, I can see both sides. Its hard as hell for a guy in my position(and Im sure Im not alone) to pull off 7-10 days of work(vacation)whatever to attend this type of event even if its in my own backyard. More than anything , I would love to give it a shot one day(option #1), but the reality is that unless the format allows me to choose a specific couple of days, its not gonna happen in my near future.

I wish you guys the best in trying to resolve this issue, Its a shame the Tampa talks couldnt be accomplished. I just might have quit my job, gotten divorced and payed allimony for the rest of my days for that one. might have been worth it.

Good luck.

First of all I completely respect the accomplishment it takes to achieve a US-1 Title. You have proven that 'YOU ARE THE MAN' in every aspect of the class you have chosen. To those that have achieved this great task- hats off- you deserve it.
From a newbies point of view, I can see both sides. Its hard as hell for a guy in my position(and Im sure Im not alone) to pull off 7-10 days of work(vacation)whatever to attend this type of event even if its in my own backyard. More than anything , I would love to give it a shot one day(option #1), but the reality is that unless the format allows me to choose a specific couple of days, its not gonna happen in my near future.

I wish you guys the best in trying to resolve this issue, Its a shame the Tampa talks couldnt be accomplished. I just might have quit my job, gotten divorced and payed allimony for the rest of my days for that one. might have been worth it.

Good luck.

Andy:

It is obvious that you have not attended an IMPBA Internats.

There are MANY people who only go for the first 4 days for Heat Racing and do not stay for the timed events. The timed events run AFTER the heat racing and it is not at all mandatory to attend them.

So, you can do EXACTLY what you are saying without going to the SAW and Oval Trials.

Marty Davis

Thanks Marty, at least I will have a job,wife and kid when I get home.But were still talking 4 days of heat racing $$$ Now someone settle were the next ones gonna be so I can see whats its all about. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go with the current format being the best way to determine a true "national champion" (US-1) Heat racing can have pitfalls that you may not have total control over. Dead boats or someone taking you out in agressive competition. One heat gone and you could be toast. In the time trials it is you and the clock. No excuses just turn the fastest times and thats half of a US-1. Do not forget it takes setup,skill and thought to do well in time trials. You just don't throw the boat in and make fast laps.

Yes the Nats are a process to hold and a commitment by hosting clubs and the contestants who attend. That also makes being the champion a bit more status than any other race that claims a title. Interesting idea to qualify at the district level.

Mic Halbrehder

. Interesting idea to qualify at the district level. Mic Halbrehder
Mic , I suggested this before in a prevous thread and it was dusted off like - well you know. A district qualifier makes good sense, works well in many other formats now. Once again, just this newbs 02. . Im done.

Mic , I suggested this before in a prevous thread and it was dusted off like - well you know. A district qualifier makes good sense, works well in many other formats now. Once again, just this newbs 02. . Im done.
Andy

Just goes to show that you should hold your ground and in open inteligent discussions you may have more support than you know as not everyone is willing to express. We need your 02 and more. I also remember many years that I could not afford the time off work to go to the Nats. Family has priority always. Nice thing here is there are some quality events within a days drive IE Atlanta or Charelston. Least we forget the "Winternats" are right here in Forida and not far away.

See ya at the races.

Mic

Andy

Just goes to show that you should hold your ground and in open inteligent discussions you may have more support than you know as not everyone is willing to express. We need your 02 and more. I also remember many years that I could not afford the time off work to go to the Nats. Family has priority always. Nice thing here is there are some quality events within a days drive IE Atlanta or Charelston. Least we forget the "Winternats" are right here in Forida and not far away.

See ya at the races.

Mic
Sorry to say it Mic , but running 2 classes at the Winternats and spending 4 days in Orlando has not been in the cards for me either.Even driving back and forth is an expensive 4 days,let alone motel room ++++ . If the format at the Winternats was laid out like the NAMBA Nats, No problems. Just goes to show Im not ready for that game yet... See ya Sunday.

One huge negative with the current format is that several racers that placed in the top 20% didn't even stay for the trials so US1 didn't always represent the best in class. It only awarded the ones willing to stay the week. To add insult to the situation the club had to pay for unused trophies without collecting the time trial fees.

There are MANY people who only go for the first 4 days for Heat Racing and do not stay for the timed events. The timed events run AFTER the heat racing and it is not at all mandatory to attend them.
So if "MANY people" as you just said "do not stay for the timed events" then I'm missing the point of preaching the original format. :rolleyes:

Winning a US-1 is a tremendous accomplishment that anyone who has done so should be rightfully proud of that fact. In no way do I mean to take anything away from that. However, change is inevitable in virtually everything, even our model boats. Like I said before, tradition is a great thing as long as it is not at the expense of what we do. :unsure:

The 3rd format was approved & added to the books not to replace US-1 but simply to give an option so hopefully more clubs would consider hosting the Internats. A National Champion heat race event is still better than no event at all. :huh:

Say what you will but I really think the writing's on the wall on this one......... it's only a matter of time. :ph34r:

Ihave stepped upto the plate in 1993, 1998, 1999, and 2000 for the 1st Gas Internats plus I was very invloved with the 2004 Jackson, TN Internats and 2005 and have been on th eBoard since 1996. Have you stepped upto the plate?

Sounds good Bill,When are you going to step up to the plate.

I would encourage the continuation of the current format. All the POSITIVE comments for this should make it obvious of the importance of OVAL and SAW trials. Of the total time spent at the Internats (9-10 days), only 2 days were spent to run those events. I attended the Gas Nats this year and found two things: Their current time frame will not work in the future. I see this event going to at least 5 days to run 5 rounds. Secondly, by other's bad driving, not all the best boats made it to the trophy presentation. Just another heat race.

The poll shows 71 votes cast yet 26 + 23 + 26 adds up to 75 ...... WTF?? :wacko:
From an earlier post: "That's way too funny... I just voted for all three and it actually let me do it. " The counter must register one person voting, but adds to all three choices. Looks like 2 people did this, but only one fessed up. :lol:

The 3rd format was approved & added to the books not to replace US-1 but simply to give an option so hopefully more clubs would consider hosting the Internats.
I skimmed through the most recent version of the rule book last night and only found the US-1 format. Did I miss the other two, or are they not yet in the book? And if they're not in the book, where are they? In the interest of avoiding having people reinvent the wheel, can you either post the details of the three formats, or at least provide a link to them?

I would encourage the continuation of the current format. All the POSITIVE comments for this should make it obvious of the importance of OVAL and SAW trials. Of the total time spent at the Internats (9-10 days), only 2 days were spent to run those events.
It seems the numbers and the positive comments are telling two different stories. I don't have time to get the exact numbers, but Atlanta had what, around 300 boats at a 3 day event? The NAMBA nats had close to 600 at their 10 day event. The Gas Nats had how many in 4 days? Meanwhile, the Internats had around 300 boats for a 9 day event? If the format is so great, why is the attendance so low compared to the other events? Is it possible that many people compare the amount of time the internats takes with the amount of racing they get to do and choose to spend their racing time elsewhere?

I would encourage the continuation of the current format. All the POSITIVE comments for this should make it obvious of the importance of OVAL and SAW trials. Of the total time spent at the Internats (9-10 days), only 2 days were spent to run those events.
It seems the numbers and the positive comments are telling two different stories. I don't have time to get the exact numbers, but Atlanta had what, around 300 boats at a 3 day event? The NAMBA nats had close to 600 at their 10 day event. The Gas Nats had how many in 4 days? Meanwhile, the Internats had around 300 boats for a 9 day event? If the format is so great, why is the attendance so low compared to the other events? Is it possible that many people compare the amount of time the internats takes with the amount of racing they get to do and choose to spend their racing time elsewhere?
Just to set the facts straight, Atlanta handles 300+ boats each year in two racing days, Sat. & Sun. as Friday is open water. B)

This is a very brief of the three formats.

1) all us1 boats run SAW & Oval TT then the 5 rounds of head racing

2) 5 rounds of US1 heat racing. Top 5 or 20% which every is large go onto Oval & SAW TT.

3) Hope I get this right. All US1 class run 4 rounds of heat racing then the top 7 run in three more championship rounds of heat racing. Note all 7 boats in class must run together.

Hope this helps with the format thing.

Back