Idea's needed on how to revive a class.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

O.K fellow tunnel fan's,

I'm looking for idea's to try and revive O/B tunnel racing here in Australia. These classes have all but died here :'( - although a lot of people who race seem to have one or have had one at some time.

Do we need to offer some kind of incentive or something like that??

I am looking for suggestions - Anyone???

I would hate to see these fun little boats dissappear altogether.

Tim.

Hi TimD,

I am trying my darndest to kickstart OB's again. I have been buying gear from the US for resale to new & keen people to get them running. Tunnels are popular in my club (7.5cc mostly) and I plan on flooding the market this year with 3.5cc. I guess my club might be the only OB club happening in Oz if all the others with boats don't drag them out and dust them off.

Time will tell

GT ;D

GTR,

I think the current situation with K&B makes it difficult to support the 7.5cc - but with the 3.5cc there are other alternatives in the O.S and T.T, not to mention the "hybrids" like the Nova conversions and the CMB's and Rossi's.

I think what you are doing by importing the K&B stuff is great, but ultimately that is going to be limited unless K&B start selling stuff in numbers again. Newbies need to be able to sourse stuff from a hobby shop and we should try to support shops wherever possible - especially ones who sponsor events etc.

Anyway that'smy $.02

Tim,

Dont overlook the Rossi 45's, I had a look at one late last year that the importer over here had. The motor uses the K&B leg, which is supplied (with the K&B logo machined off! ;D ) and comes with a muffled adjustable length tuned pipe for about $700 - $750. Soemthing like that. I was actually telling the bloke he might have a hard time shifting it as I didn't know anyone still running 45 tunnels. :-

Ian.

Hi TimD

I understand your point about K&B making more parts and about supporting the hobby stores. The LHS will only source parts direct from the manufacturers where as I have been sourcing "new" parts from EBay and contacts in the US. There are alot of parts out there and even quite a few new engines.

K&B 7.5 engines are plentiful and available for not much more than a 3.5 engine. The 7.5 motor and the bigger tunnel to hang it on are easier to run than the 3.5's.

While the hybrids are great for future development and maintaining the classes they have their own problems, price and availability. Not really any better than K&B.

How much have you got invested in your 3.5 hybrid?????

See my point :p

I am trying to get boats on the water for about 1/2 the price of your OB.

My $0.022 (GST incl) lol

Cheers

GT ;D

GTR,

I think the current situation with K&B makes it difficult to support the 7.5cc - but with the 3.5cc there are other alternatives in the O.S and T.T, not to mention the "hybrids" like the Nova conversions and the CMB's and Rossi's.

I think what you are doing by importing the K&B stuff is great, but ultimately that is going to be limited unless K&B start selling stuff in numbers again. Newbies need to be able to sourse stuff from a hobby shop and we should try to support shops wherever possible - especially ones who sponsor events etc.

Anyway that'smy $.02

Here, Here..

Grim

You know, when you have an abcessed tooth and on pain killer you do not see straight!!!! I posted the following response in the wrong topic:

I think one way to get it going again is to really get a super fast setup say min. of 50 mph(km ?). Maybe get one of those new Macs coming out from Andy Brown, Nova setup (expensive though), or a CMB that has been bushed and setup right. Anyone seeing one go like they do around here couldnt help but want to get back into it.

Billy R.

We have had the same problem this past season in IMPBA District 2. The previous year we would see up to 13 or so show up for the 3.5 class and this past season you would be lucky to fill the field with 3 of them. Where did all of them go? I know a few of these people did not race at all last season but that still leaves a lot of others.

Tony Jacuzzi started a points series for the "B" and "D" monos and things really took off in those classes. Now this season he is starting the same thing for an almost extinct "F" mono class and has already gotten a bunch of entries. Possibly do the same thing in your area with trophies, jackets or merchandise and you may see a big revival!

Hea guys

After looking this post over i would like to say that Billys not all wrong. The speed is what thrills the racer and the spectators. I would like to think that close competition does this also. I have heard at more then one big event that small tunnels put on a great show and some even say that although they do not race them that they are lots of fun to watch.

It looks like 21s are the best place to start but we have a heck of a time getting motors to the general buyer. The HP paperweights are fine but to darn much money for the most of the new comers. Besides after they are in it for awhile they will snap and drop the big bucks for the big HP.

Looks to me like we need to have a OS or TT (stock style class) and forget that mod tunnel is the place for new racers. Also until K+B is making motors again forget about the availability of parts and the like.

Maybe be no K+B motors are allowed in this class until they have full production for 180 days. Or something like that.

Tim if you offer it, Wright it in stone, dont change it, and make it so that anybody that wants in can do so easily, and not drop a ton of change to do it, you will draw racers to the class. You will get new tunnel racers, X- tunnel racers to join back up.

Give them something to race for. In other words get a cool prize like t-shirt or hat and give it to the winner each month. Set up a points series and keep them running there boats. Dont let then not run there boats for less then two weeks. Make sure they run often. It is no fun buying stuff that you only use a few times a year.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

Tips:

Forget about K+B. If they go into production deal with it then

Set up a class and that is easy to get motors and hulls for.

Try and keep the cost down the best you can.

Get them running often.

Give them a prize of some type

Points racing. (new points race every two months or so, not much longer or the guys will begin to drop out.)

Good luck "did I go overboard again" ;D

Grim ;D

Hi Guy's,

I think all the points made are valid but the situation in Oz is somewhat different to the US. We don't have multiple manufacturers to choose from for hulls, The LHS generally know little about boats (we are a plank country mostly), we don't have a stock or mod class (everyone together), & even a 2nd hand K&B OB on a Dumas Hotshot is more than fast and exciting enough for a beginner.

I agree after people are involved for a while they will drop more money into it. Access to the bits for a hybrid is even a bit difficult here in Oz. I guess that is the price we pay for living on this fantastic island.

I forgot to mention that we are often 3 or more hours away from each other so this can make it difficult to get together often to race.

I don't want to sound too negative because I want this class to come back to life. We need ways to draw people in - the class will keep them there.

GT

Grim you hit the nail on the head!!!! Drop k/b just like they did to us!!! Go with the cheapest possible 3.5's {T/T] to start, gear ajustablity for performance. Any type hull {plastic,wood,glass} . Give prizes, shirts hats, plakes, and here in S.C. we have state newspapers, post results in sports page!!!! for everyone to see!! Run every two weeks to keep them interested. have different districts at the end of year have a final race of the high points winners frome each district. When it get's going raffle off merchandise at every event{radios/hulls/ engines/equipment} to the public & racers! That well help foot the bill. BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!!!!!! THINK SMALL THEN GO HOLEHOG!!!!!!!! Just my $.02,s

Guy's,

thank you all for your input - there are some good idea's in there.

Billy,

I tried exactly what you suggested recently at our nationals (not enough tunnels entered to run the class ???) and got out my tunnel after racing was finished for the day. My Boat runs over 50mph (80kph) easily and while a few people all commented on how fast the thing is no - one expressed much interest in getting back into the class.

If the class became popular again I would happily take off the Nova / lawless and go back to a TT or an O.S if it meant more people would run in the class.

Running every 2 weeks is not an option for some clubs - my club only has access to the water we race on approx. 1 time a month and in the warmer months even less.

Maybe a points series with a prize is the way to go.

How about it ex tunnel racers - what would make you bring 'em back out and race 'em???? Might have to put a post on the other forum to get some attention from ex-tunnel guys.

Tim,

How many of the ex-tunnel racers still have the boats? How many of them actually still race any boats? Tony Grinter still races his 45 tunnel, and you have yours, but apart from this the only people I can think of who used to race tunnels and still races boats are Steve Winks, and I heard he sold all of his, Gruber has sold his 45, and Ken Retallick sold his stock 45.

I think quite a few of the people who used to race them no longer race anything. So you may have to start again from scratch.

Ian.

Ian,

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

"what can we do to get more people back to building / racing a tunnel?"

Tim,

I'd suggest that you start some sort of "Newsletter" amongst your club members and maybe post something at a local hobby shop or two. Or perhaps get your club e-mail address book and start e-mailing the members or friends or anyone who will listen about the benefits of tunnelhull racing, i.e. affordable, easy to maintain, less mess, several options such as running stock, mod w/pipe, throttle exhaust, throttle exhaust on your tuned pipe. etc..You can talk about 3.5, 7.5, 11cc, 13cc, twins. There is alot of ggod stuff.

The other thing to do would be host a tunelhull demonstration race or event at your pond or lake. Invite a distributor or hobby shop.

I have sold some stuff to Gary (GTR), he has the right idea. He has been buying things to get the club bigger from me and I've done everything I can to ensure he gets the best prices and the best shipping rates. I've actually had better luck shipping "Down Under" than I do to the guys here in the USA.

Good Luck!! Just my two cents.

Latest posts

Back