I Waters Rocket Club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy,

As rattle cans go use Plasticote clear lacquer

Grim
I was touching up some final stuff on the High-Q and me being one to not leave well enough alone ,

I decided to add a little more color to the TechnonolgyFuels (the rocket formerly know as The Magician ) and I already had the purple out
rolleyes.gif

The purple is the same as the metal flake on the High Q . The Technology decals are chrome, I basically just added a purple spine like the High Q's black one and did the nose cone silver metal flake. Still gotta touch the payload tube stubs.

I have yet to clear them, and honestly not sure if I will. The finish looks really decent- ???? opinions.

2cgzx9h.jpg

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
09 April 2011 Launch Report

Winds were in the 14 to 18 mph range and coming from the east south east. Out flying site was the airbase in Rantoul Il. The sky was overcast with a cloud base at or around 500’ early in the morning. We decided to wait for the scud to burn off and the gate was unlocked and pads were setup to blue sky at around 1pm.

First off the rod to test the winds was my new Up-Scaled Missile Toe on a D12. The rocket took off and weather cocked.. Up it climbed to around 600’ the chute opened and the rocket started its decent. As it got closer to the ground you could see it was going to be a short walk. The rocket then landed and wrapped its shock cord around the very launch pad it took off from. Word from the launch control was winds are good “LETS FLY”!

We witnessed a number of flights on the day as around 25 pilots showed up to battle the breeze. Lon Westfield flew a 29mm Min Dia. carbon fiber rocket to around 2,700’. The delay was a tick short and the rocket fell short of its 3,000’ prediction.

Greg Smith flew his ET2 4’ rocket only to have it after landing drug down and across the south runway damaging the rocket. The road rash was nasty to say the least. He said it will be rebuilt.

I went on to stick two rockets in trees and two on the roads leading around the runways. They all came home bruised but will fly again.

I also test flew my new Star Child two stage design on an A10-0 to A3-4T and Tested Mid Power Astron Sprint on a E9. The astron is slated for a F39 reload. Both flew fantastic.

It was then on to the Corvette. I flew it on a G80-7 single use engine. It obtained an altitude of 1,551’ and landed around 800’ from the launch rod. The rocket has full Eagle Tree data collection system on board but is proving to be SO SO in its ability to capture information during the launch phase of the flight. The eagle tree GPS system drops satellites during the launch phase loosing important information during that time.

I also flew the Quaddaddy and some other rockets for a total of 376.6N.

Smallest engine flown was an A10 and the largest engine flown was a I300.. All in all a great day for flying rockets.

The next launch is set for April 23 again at the airbase in Rantoul.

That’s all for now!

Grimracer

I have to re-do this vid but will show it anyway..

A few pics from last weekend.

Both Mid Power upscales..

A Goonie Missile Toe and a Astron Sprint.. Both scratch built for 24mm motors.

Grim

Just wanted to say I love this thread! Got my son his 1st rocket last summer (he was 6 going on 7). He's excited to fly it again.

Sweet pics Grim-

We have a TTRA flight scheduled for Sat.

Hopefully the weather gods play nice, Im looking to fly the new High Q on an E20/7w

If I get that back, I may brave the Technology Fuels rocket on the same power
blink.gif

At very least an E-9
wink.gif

Gonna try and fly everything at least once , pending pad time and weather.

Will try and get some video.

6i64cl.jpg

Name this rocket! :) In the packaging its white w/black trim, has 4 fins in an "x" shape (like Star Wars Tie Fighter) and has a plane of sorts that detaches and flies down. This is a kit (Estes I'm guessin). Noticed it in the Hobby shop and have been thinking about buying it. Anyone know what I'm thinking of and have an opinion (buy/dont buy). It is the plane flying down seperately that has my interest; it'll be a step forward from the simple rocket w/launchpad & everything all in 1 for $20 that we have now.

Hum.. doubtfull its a Quest..

Not sure what it might be.. if you buy it let us know what it is.

Grim

Sweet pics Grim-

We have a TTRA flight scheduled for Sat.

Hopefully the weather gods play nice, Im looking to fly the new High Q on an E20/7w

If I get that back, I may brave the Technology Fuels rocket on the same power
blink.gif

At very least an E-9
wink.gif

Gonna try and fly everything at least once , pending pad time and weather.

Will try and get some video.

6i64cl.jpg
hey are the mini one for your girl??

Although she claims they are all " Her rockets " Nessa , The 2 on the right- The Rascal and her Estes RTF - are the ones she flies.

The Rascal- the blue and yellow one- REALLY flies great on a C6/7 , like out of sight, see ya gone with a quickness. They claim it to be close to 2,000 ft .

Its an RTF and requires no assembly. Most local hobby shops have em - as does Tower for about $15.00 -

I would highly recommend it for a first rocket to see if your interested.
wink.gif

The little purple/yellow one comes in a Quest starter kit- with pretty much everything you need for around $30.00 . It actually flies very well on A and B motors.

Dont try a C- Ask me how I know
rolleyes.gif

Otto, forcast calls for S/E winds 10-15 turning S in the afternoon.

Bring your walking shoes.
ohmy.gif

Todd , the glider rockets I have seen fly where very cool. In fact my wife wants me to build her one.

Andy

SOOOO BUMMED
sad.gif

The wind blew 15-25 all day while I was there, so - no flights for me. Way too many guys searching the bushes and trees for there stuff for my taste.

I wanted to hang out as the college guys from Emery Riddle showed with their entry thats going out west soon. Very impressive, blue tube with carbon wrap-

they had only planned on a 10,000 ft shake down flight today, but said their target altitude for the competition out west was 25,000
blink.gif

fau6jc.jpg

fm1ki0.jpg

A short high power that braved the winds-

Oh well, mine all live to fly another day I guess.

Andy

Watching the videos is pretty cool. We used to fly rockets a lot when were younger, may have to get one or two and do it again. To bad when our rockets go older we packed them with black powder and watch them blow up. It was funny back then but now it would be cool to have them back. Still have my R2D2 STAR WARS

one left though.

Richie R

Richie,

If you make it back down here some day we will make sure its on a flying weekend..

Grim

Anybody flying this weekend.. We are looking at gusts to 40mph.. sooooooooo it wont be me! lol

Grim

Back