I Waters Rocket Club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We launch tomorrow.. i will update when I can.

Grim

Cant wait to see the videos Grim- always a treat
wink.gif

Need a little advice before I re-fly the new Technology Fuels rocket with the Aerotech E20/7w's

It has a 16inch chute now- how much should I or can I cut out of the chute to get it back closer - I vented it about 2 inches now, but Im thinking more would be better considering a potential 2000 ft+ flight.

What should the shock cord length be- and distance from chute to nose cone be ??

if I need to replace the rubber type one I have now - what to use ?

I really just wanna get it back is all
rolleyes.gif

The Hi-Q will be here Tuesday, it can be built and ready to fly for the weekend.

Our weather was PERFECT today Grim, it was all I could do to keep myself away from the short field with our light breeze.

It SUCKS they fly they next weekend- the same day as our 2 day High Points Race, Im soooo tempted to blow off Sat and not race and go fly,then help Randy CD on Sunday
ph34r.gif

Im having waaay to much fun with the rockets
cool.gif

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finishing up on my clone of the 1982-'84 Estes Mach-2. I had issues with the orange paint showing thru the fins, it covered the body well but i just couldn't get the fins covered so i shot them down in black and it looks pretty cool. In addition i ran out of silver for the 3 inches that was supposed to be painted on the end of the tube near the nose cone and I was too lazy to go out and spend a few bucks just to cover a few inches so I coughed up something with some monocoat trim sheet.

Finally. I'm finishing up on my D/E powered Big Bertha. I found a damaged baby bertha kit at hobby lobby and asked if they'll mark it down and they gave me 80% off, meaning i got the kit for $1.99..... I used the nose and carefully trimmed the bt-60 engine mount rings to accept my D/E mount. I also cut new fins from 3/32 basswood stock. heres what both projects look like.... :ph34r:

CIMG1087.JPG

CIMG1088.JPG

CIMG1089.JPG

Grim

wink.gif

Need a little advice before I re-fly the new Technology Fuels rocket with the Aerotech E20/7w's

It has a 16inch chute now- how much should I or can I cut out of the chute to get it back closer - I vented it about 2 inches now, but Im thinking more would be better considering a potential 2000 ft+ flight.

What should the shock cord length be- and distance from chute to nose cone be ??

rolleyes.gif

The Hi-Q will be here Tuesday, it can be built and ready to fly for the weekend.

Our weather was PERFECT today Grim, it was all I could do to keep myself away from the short field with our light breeze.

It SUCKS they fly they next weekend- the same day as our 2 day High Points Race, Im soooo tempted to blow off Sat and not race and go fly,then help Randy CD on Sunday
ph34r.gif

cool.gif

Andy
Andy, just open the hole up a little more in the middle of the chute, another inch or so...a 16" chute isnt that big to begin with....im using 3'x 1/4" wide elastic shock cord (Semroc) on several of my D/E powered ships...within reason longer is better as it helps reduce the "SNAP" on ejection! The rubber shock cord WILL break sooner or later...the way the 2-day races are scheduled, i may not get to launch until MAY or JUNE!! :rolleyes: BUMMER! Hope to see ya this weekend, one way or another! :) Grim, cant wait to get a launch report!!

I'm finishing up on my clone of the 1982-'84 Estes Mach-2. I had issues with the orange paint showing thru the fins, it covered the body well but i just couldn't get the fins covered so i shot them down in black and it looks pretty cool. In addition i ran out of silver for the 3 inches that was supposed to be painted on the end of the tube near the nose cone and I was too lazy to go out and spend a few bucks just to cover a few inches so I coughed up something with some monocoat trim sheet.

Finally. I'm finishing up on my D/E powered Big Bertha. I found a damaged baby bertha kit at hobby lobby and asked if they'll mark it down and they gave me 80% off, meaning i got the kit for $1.99..... I used the nose and carefully trimmed the bt-60 engine mount rings to accept my D/E mount. I also cut new fins from 3/32 basswood stock. heres what both projects look like.... :ph34r:
RJ, you will like how your D/E powered BB flys! I flew mine at the last launch and it went up really nice on a D12-5! CG was good, went up nice and straight, didnt have to add any weight to the nose....next time i might try an E motor in it! Your stuff is lookin GOOD! :)

Grim

wink.gif

rolleyes.gif

ph34r.gif

cool.gif

Andy
Andy,

Make the shock cord as long as you can.. OR as a rule 3 times rocket length.. You can not have to long a shock cord.

We were unable to fly this weekend as the ceiling was to low. 1,200'

RJ

BB makes a great uppower rocket because the fins a pulled back so far.

We are going to try to fly again next weekend.. Im looking to fly the Corvette on a H268-M. 3,000' at 500mph..

Should be fun

Grim

Going together with the High Q tonight and the CG seems to be a bit ahead oh rec specs-

It calls for 8 inches from the rear tube , but Im more like 10 1/4 with the Aerotech E20/7W .

Do I need to be concerned ??

2qjw17m.jpg

2j0il4m.jpg

Going together with the High Q tonight and the CG seems to be a bit ahead oh rec specs-

It calls for 8 inches from the rear tube , but Im more like 10 1/4 with the Aerotech E20/7W .

You need to get your boats ready for this weekend :p

I need to get some sleep , but Im all amped up on the new job so I figured I would build
rolleyes.gif

I may not even run Ron, maybe the X-Mono - but my heart aint in it this weekend .....

I will be there to help regardless....
wink.gif

Andy

2qjw17m.jpg

2j0il4m.jpg

No, you dont need to be concerned :lol:

Thanks guys , not you Rick
tongue.gif

Now the only decision becomes whether or not to go with the 5 color paint job
blink.gif

- I have no patients for painting.
laugh.gif

Andy

Heres my "D Big Bertha"

I think later down the road i may try a 2 stage D/E Bertha.. :lol:

CIMG1090.JPG

CIMG1091.JPG

CIMG1092.JPG

Nice, I always loved the long fins on that rocket.

2nd coat of base color is going on the High Q now. At least 4 colors for now-

but I did buy the 5th , just in case
wink.gif

Andy

Not great pic but the Quaddaddy and the Dragonfly riding the lighting!

And the long walk back.. 18mph winds and 3/4 mile drift... not cool!

Grim

Sweet shot of the Quad-Daddy Grim. I got the High-Q all painted , will post some pics up after I get back from the lake( and fix the run in the nose cone-for the 3rd time).
rolleyes.gif

Andy

Great shots Grim, but.........you look a little.......WINDED! :lol: Ummmm i remember my very first launch in years, back in September....my V-2 seperated at apogee...10 mph wind....just the nose cone with an 18" chute, no vents in the chute.......I WALKED what seemed like FOREVER! :rolleyes: :lol: Got it back though...it was worth the walk! :)

Back