Hyperformance Products 7.5 Bullet Drive

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarsonConnor

Anyone running or have run these drives? Just would like to find out if I'm the only one having a horrible experience with these. I purchased one and had to send it back due to a crack in the hinge pin upper housing that was there when I opened the box, did not want to run it like this fearing that it would only take a few laps around the lake before it failed. I returned it and was sent another, this new one only has one weekend of racing on it due to a bad engine. I got a new motor and went to the lake today to test run and prep for the WN, and to my horror while running down the back straight I suddenly heard that sudden high rev and the boat coming to a sudden stop. While going out to pick it up I was hoping that it was only a broken flex shaft, but it was not that simple. Where the prop shaft screws into the bottom end had done totally split completely apart spitting out the flex, prop shaft, and prop.

Thanks for any feedback.

Garson

Well, I was talking to Dick Loeb (moonlighter112)just yesterday and he bought the same 7.5 size bullet drive for an FE setup. Well, the lower came with the wrong size thread tap (2-56 instead of 6-32) to mount the motor plate, the prop shaft would only screw in about 3/4" of the way, the skeg was actually molded so that it is bent to one side, and he had to run in the flex cable because there was a tight spot. Then, he called Hyperformance and after explaining the situation, the owner basically said, "Well, sounds like your having a bad day". He offered no refund, no exchange, nothing. Basically said "go F yourself". He also mentioned that he had heard people say the skeg was bent, and apparently doesn't care. I could not believe the lack of customer service. Mike

Anyone running or have run these drives? Just would like to find out if I'm the only one having a horrible experience with these. I purchased one and had to send it back due to a crack in the hinge pin upper housing that was there when I opened the box, did not want to run it like this fearing that it would only take a few laps around the lake before it failed. I returned it and was sent another, this new one only has one weekend of racing on it due to a bad engine. I got a new motor and went to the lake today to test run and prep for the WN, and to my horror while running down the back straight I suddenly heard that sudden high rev and the boat coming to a sudden stop. While going out to pick it up I was hoping that it was only a broken flex shaft, but it was not that simple. Where the prop shaft screws into the bottom end had done totally split completely apart spitting out the flex, prop shaft, and prop.

Thanks for any feedback.

Garson
the exact same thing happened with my hyperformance prop shaft....bob

I hate to see a second hand burn on here so maybe Dick will chime in here. Things always seem to get worse every step down the line. A couple years ago I had a 7.5 Bullet drive break and Dave at Hyperformance offered to replace or refund it which he did. Not sure how he was appraoched in this instance but I have dealt with him for years and always been satisfied. Some products are better than others and he still is one of the few people making products for outboards. Garson give him a call and let us know where it goes.

Mic

I was on the phone with Dick when I wrote this. He asked me to post it since I could type it quicker. So the words are out of his mouth. Mike

What Mike posted was true the part about the skeg I was told to put in a vise and bend it back straight maybe I am just lucky ...

WOw thats whats wrong oth these people making stuff lack of communication and they just dont care ( some not all).. Its unfortunate that people have to go thru this headache ust to run boats and the person that makes them sometimes dont care..

Julian

I had some stuff on order with these guys. I got an email straight up saying they were out of stock but would have stock in a couple of weeks. No problems there from me.

So I waited for a month before I emailed them for an update... No reply. This went on for a while (about 3 months from memory) before I asked to cancel my order and I got a reply oh they will be in next week they said. I'm sorry but with the lack of service for the last few months I wasn't interested. I then got rude emails from them saying telling me off for canceling my order...

Well I've NEVER bought anything off them again nor have I bought the products they sell.

I believe Dicks comments are truthful.

I had the stub shaft come loose and fell out on the starting table when breaking in my 7.5 Nelson motor. At that point I never tried for a refund figuring the casting wasn't strong enough.

I need to part ways and throw the lower end in the trash. Waste of my money.

Brad

Guys I have been so busy getting ready for the WN that I forgot to check back, I will call today and see what response I get and post as soon as I'm done.

Garson

Guys I have been so busy getting ready for the WN that I forgot to check back, I will call today and see what response I get and post as soon as I'm done.

Garson

Just got of the phone with David, after explaining to him what happened to me he stated that he had never heard of this happening before and that I must have hit something or over tighten the prop stub. But after explaining that neither had happened he said to send it to him and he would replace it, so I will box it up and send it to him and hopefully I will have a new one waiting when I get back home from the WN.

Garson

that's good to hear. i use their .21 prop shafts, always ship quickly, never had any problems. good luck at the winter nats, garson ;) !!

Garson me and mitch ran probably two of the first here on the east coast hyperproduct 7.5 lowers back heck i guess its been 6 years ago or so. They where all solid one piece units and we had great success with them for years but then they started breaking shafts so we figured the inner linner was going bad. if i / we could get those again we would run them but if a frog had wings well you know the rest. I am hopeing to catch up with you in o town and get some baxter bags from you. I will see if mitch still has one of those legs and we will bring it to Orlando and show it to ya.

Later Gator B)

Last edited by a moderator:
i had one of the 7.5 lowers back in 2000 and went to bolt it together and the motor plate was cast too low and you could not use it, sent it back and the new one was correct and went dist racing. at the end of my race a fellow racer noticed the cavitation plate had cracked and was hanging on by a thread, threw out the lower unit and got a k/b 7.5 lower from john otto

Back