Hydro's , Adictive ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speakerboy

i am a gasser , i must admit . i have run all kinds of boats all with zenoah ore sort like motors . i never felt the hots for Nitro , Gas was just so easy .. no offense just lazy .. i have run all kinds of mono.s and cats , even a whiplash hydro .. sinds a few months i am running a gas rigger with a real hot motor , beside a small "to the right pulling problem " its running on rails and speeds over 75 mph is easy . even 80 is no trouble , doing that all morning until i feel sorry for my cat and mono i will run them to for a minute but than 50 mph is so slow !! i dont have the spark for a mono ore cat anymore , if your going 80 mph , why go 50 something mph .. ? i am hooked on the riggers and i am going to built me another one .

is this common sence , does this sound familiar >? i am worried since i loved my AC mono and AC cat but the Riggers rule . Perriod !

Jeroen

Jeroen,

You are well on your way to being fully addicted to the sport. Its pretty hard to beat a solid running rigger, but a gas rigger is too easy. What you really need is a 15cc+ nitro rigger to humble you and than a twin nitro rigger.

I am on step 11 of the the 12 step program. Several 15cc riggers, but no twin yet...........

Tyler

Jeroen,

The big block stuff is good if you like HP, but we like to run

12 and 21 Nitro motors up past the speeds (70 to 100 MPH)

that you are getting to like. 20+ years I have been in the

hobby, and there is still nothing like going to the pond and

testing a few dozen propellers to try and hit the magic of

the two stage pipe sound. Keep testing and learning about

our models and you think you are addicted now, just wait,

it gets better with time believe me.

Charles,

You are right, the smell and injection of Nitro is the only medicine

for HYDROPHOBIA. :lol:

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
The first year I got back into boats I started with a .21 tunnel and a gas mono. Then I added a 45 mono and more important, a Sport 40. Then I added a cat. This year I sold the 45 mono without running it. I ran the cat and sport 40 at all the races and finally made the time to refurbish a 45 Roadrunner I got from someone. Meanwhile, Don F helped resolve some issues with my 80 Roadrunner. By the end of the season I had decided the cat was going to be sold. Next year I will run riggers and sport/scale hydros almost exclusively (also going to run 21 tunnels because they're so much fun to drive). Speed is certainly addictive. :D

Oh, and I sold the smelly gas boat I was silly enough to try! :p

i am a gasser , i must admit . i have run all kinds of boats all with zenoah ore sort like motors . i never felt the hots for Nitro , Gas was just so easy .. no offense just lazy .. i have run all kinds of mono.s and cats , even a whiplash hydro .. sinds a few months i am running a gas rigger with a real hot motor , beside a small "to the right pulling problem " its running on rails and speeds over 75 mph is easy . even 80 is no trouble , doing that all morning until i feel sorry for my cat and mono i will run them to for a minute but than 50 mph is so slow !! i dont have the spark for a mono ore cat anymore , if your going 80 mph , why go 50 something mph .. ? i am hooked on the riggers and i am going to built me another one .
is this common sence , does this sound familiar >? i am worried since i loved my AC mono and AC cat but the Riggers rule . Perriod !

Jeroen
I believe that the medical term for your addiction is HYDROPHOBIA. A lot of us have it. :D

the symptoms are like you describe. There is no cure. The only medication is MORE NITRO.

Charles

Nothing like a good case of the shakes after a heat with 6 open hydros eh? I pit for a friend who has a twin roadrunner(Tom Foley) and the funny part is when the heat is over, he's not the one shakin'.....I AM!!!

I believe that the medical term for your addiction is HYDROPHOBIA. A lot of us have it. :D the symptoms are like you describe. There is no cure. The only medication is MORE NITRO.

Charles
HYDROPHOBIA, Yep you can never kick it. You guy's should see how bad it gets when you drive a fullsize Hydro. :rolleyes: :D

Mark

I have been running nitro hydros for about 33 yrs!!!!!!! Presently I activily run 21, sport 21, 45, 60 , 101, and a twin 90 hydro. I plan to build at least 2 new hydros this winter!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO I guess I have HYDOPHOBIA. There is nothing like nitro hydros, I never get enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeroen
Your right , it is adictive, I have a mono and cat that get run occasionally if the water is too rough etc, I have 3 gas riggers that take prefference, my goal is 90 mph for this year, I am almost there but not quite. I remember 4 years ago if the boat did 70 I was elated! Then it was 80 and that really made my day, now it will take 90 to do it!!

The fun is the test and tune for me, then there is nothing like a fast rigger going by making 25 second laps around 30 acres of a 40 acre lake ha!! It sure trips my trigger thats for sure.................Adictive? yes sir it is!! Have fun as its just the beginning................

I burn Coleman fuel, and there is no smell at all.

mike sr

I agree with Tyler

I started with gas boats in the early 90,s -- graduated to nito in scale then to rigger -- what a rush that was

I still run both gas and nitro but the cost of parts , nitro and glow plugs has driven off a lot of boaters and the fact that there are way to many special interest groups in our distric scarying off new boaters by telling them nitro is way to hard to run -- yes gas is easyier to run -- you just get in line and by a boat just like everybody ele,s -- it per say don,t take as much gray matter to run gas

I am hooked an will be as long as it,s fun

If I offend some one -- look in the mirror

Henry

OK...... i am not the only one. .... pffffffheeeww .. ;)

i will sell the fun play boat cat and built another race mono for the offshore class we have here .. and further concentrate on the hydro,s

my goal in 2009 is to mantain a gas rigger than can run 85 mph in SAW setup and a oval gas rigger that can do 70 mph in heat race trim .

concidering the fact that we dont race hydro gas boats here (only 15 cc nitro ) i dont need a faster oval race rigger . not yet ...

Jeroen

OK...... i am not the only one. .... pffffffheeeww .. ;)
i will sell the fun play boat cat and built another race mono for the offshore class we have here .. and further concentrate on the hydro,s

my goal in 2009 is to mantain a gas rigger than can run 85 mph in SAW setup and a oval gas rigger that can do 70 mph in heat race trim .

concidering the fact that we dont race hydro gas boats here (only 15 cc nitro ) i dont need a faster oval race rigger . not yet ...

Jeroen
Stick with it Jeroen, in our club the gas boaters are increasing in numbers, 6 years ago it was 90 percent nitro, today its about 80 percent gas. Most sundays its 100 percent gas.

I think there is a place for both nitro and gas, here its going toward gas.

mike sr

Mike .. just out of curriosity , how fast are the most gas riggers there ... just avarage speed ?

Jeroen

I like my rigger, especially since ive gotten it running way better lately.... but ill always be a Cat guy. Run em in water that has riggers just hopping around and still going fast. Though i guess i like my cats a bit since im a member of the "70mph Gas Cat club" lol.

Around here in my district...most of the riggers seem to run mid-high 60's, 12-13 sec lap times or so. So-far my rigger is running 73mph in oval trim pretty consistently... right around sub 12 second lap times staying out around lane 3.

Back