How to properly balance a prop?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Colin

I have a stainless steel prop and have never balanced one before. How do you do this, and do you absolutely need a prop balancer. Any help would be great. I'm planning my first test run tomorrow and need to somehow figure out how to balance my prop between now and then.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Colin

Yes you need a balancer.. But if you want to run , Id go ahead un-balanced. Not to good for your strut bearings, but for a day youll be ok.

When you put it in the balancer, the low side is the side to remove material from. Remove from the convex side (front) of the blade & sharpen at the same time.

me

Find a shaft to fit the prop, get two single edge razor blades and set them up in a piece of wood or something that will hold them sharp edges up. Roll the prop on the shaft along the razors to find the heavy side. I would try to get it close as you can and sharpen the edges.

Mike

I think the convex side, where you remove material, is called the back of the prop.

My 2 Euros-cents...

Marc Paulais, Paris, France

Back