How to get into FE tunnel the right way.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grimm designed the VS-1 a long time before he worked for Hobbico. It was called the Villian then and was great with stock K&B 3.5 outboards. I especially loved the building system. He did not design the original Top Speed. It was designed by Jerry Dunlap with improvements by several others including Grimm over the years.

Neither are big enough for a full P heat race boat, though Brian Buaas has set P SAW records with the TS 3. Both work well as P limited boats with the VS-1 better in calm water and the TS 3 better in rough. It doesn't take much to make the water rough at P limited scale, so the TS 3 is getting more popular in my area for P limited. You need the biggest boat allowed under NAMBA rules (34") for full P and that isn't any too big.

Lohring Miller

Thanks for all of the information. I'm looking at both the vision and TS3. Really looking forward to running an FE.

Vision all the way, a phenomenal running 20 sized boat. My P-limited hauls the mail with that boat, and my Q Tunnel on a 40 Vision is getting better every run.

one more thing....the ts3 can be bought for 112 dollars....about 1/3 of the price of the other boats......

Just a point of reference... My new Lynx just set the new NAMBA 2-Lap TT record for P-Ltd at 28.92... In straight up heat racing trim, it ran 30.xxx and averaged about 87-Amps. For the record, it averaged 96-Amps.

I'll put the Lynx up against anything out there at this point. In competition, it really seems to shine.

I'm putting together a Vision for a friend, and I have a feeling that it's going to end up being SUPER light. Not a big fan of the cutout style cowling, but it should lend itself to not needing the extra wood of a standard radio box, so I think the weight will be pretty low. Once it's complete, I'll be able to do a direct comparision to the Lynx... Considering that I can run my Lynx pretty much an entire heat without lifting off the throttle at all, and can just hang lane 1/2 the entire time, the Vision is going to have to do something pretty spectacular to beat it. Should be interesting to see how they compare.

Just a point of reference... My new Lynx just set the new NAMBA 2-Lap TT record for P-Ltd at 28.92... In straight up heat racing trim, it ran 30.xxx and averaged about 87-Amps. For the record, it averaged 96-Amps.

I'll put the Lynx up against anything out there at this point. In competition, it really seems to shine.

I'm putting together a Vision for a friend, and I have a feeling that it's going to end up being SUPER light. Not a big fan of the cutout style cowling, but it should lend itself to not needing the extra wood of a standard radio box, so I think the weight will be pretty low. Once it's complete, I'll be able to do a direct comparision to the Lynx... Considering that I can run my Lynx pretty much an entire heat without lifting off the throttle at all, and can just hang lane 1/2 the entire time, the Vision is going to have to do something pretty spectacular to beat it. Should be interesting to see how they compare.
Darin,

I believe you will find the speeds the same. The Vision really shines in race setup with many boats or if there is wind and rough water. I have been watching them both since I returned last year, and right now, I think the Vision has the overall edge between the two. Straightaway is hands down Luszcz's Ml Boatworks 295. Mike is perfecting a new design that will change the game for heat racing. Dick Loeb blew away the competition at the WTC a few months ago with the prototype, winning against all of the previous designs that were present, plus it was in heat competition with an overall field of 15+ boats and 8 boat heats.

How many boats were you competing against and how many boats were in the heats? What manufacturers were present? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darin,

I believe you will find the speeds the same. The Vision really shines in race setup with many boats or if there is wind and rough water. I have been watching them both since I returned last year, and right now, I think the Vision has the overall edge between the two. Straightaway is hands down Luszcz's Ml Boatworks 295. Mike is perfecting a new design that will change the game for heat racing. Dick Loeb blew away the competition at the WTC a few months ago with the prototype, winning against all of the previous designs that were present, plus it was in heat competition with an overall field of 15+ boats and 8 boat heats.

How many boats were you competing against and how many boats were in the heats? What manufacturers were present? Thanks.
All sounds good... Bring them on! ;)

I had no issues in traffic, or with rougher water... Bear in mind, however, that my Lynx is NOT at all setup like the instructions suggest to. I spend several evenings working on the bottom to get it to rest on the setup board like I thought it should, which took it way out of the realm of how the instructions would suggest you set one up. It has no issues in traffic...

The more offerings out there, the better! Getting more people involved is a good thing, and choices are what keep people interested.

The other boats at the event were TS-3s, a Cobra, a 295, and some others that I didn't recognize.

i dont want to get all caught up in whos boat is better, mainly because i am a tunnel nubbie but my 295 is as fast as any tunnel out there in a stright line.....its all in the driver when it comes to the turn......i have to let off in the turn or the boat will hook even with some bottom mods.....with an exp driver it would be really fast.....now i have seen bill brittons lynx run several times and like darin said...he doesent let off in the turns......id have won alot of heats if i could do that......instead i am usually upside down lol....again its usually my fault as i cant let off the trigger......

btw is the vission the boat that dan hutchenson makes?

thanks rodney ill look in atlanta at the gp race and see what a vision craft looks like

Ron,

I will be running Dick's prototype ML Boatworks 300 in Atlanta in PLimited. Should be interesting. Doesn't matter what tunnel you drive. You must always look for clean water especially in the turns, or you will be upside down. Most all of these boats will run wide open through the turns in clean water. Dick and I can help you with your P295 setup if you would like. That is still a very competitive heat racing boat, and the current SAW record holder.... ;)

dont get me wrong ron...i love this boat......id be glad to take a few lessons as i know its a fast boat...it just needs a good driver lol

The good drivers end up upside down as well... ;) The reason you must race smart, as well as fast.

That is still a very competitive heat racing boat, and the current SAW record holder.... ;)
If we want to go there... the current NAMBA SAW record holder is a TS-3 @ 72.886 mph... (P-Open...) P-Ltd is shown as 47.xxx... but I know that Brian went near 60 with his TS-3 setup for that class, he just chose not to apply for the record.

I agree with the comments above... it's more than just the boat... It's the whole package... And, I might suggest, that there may be boats for some that work better than for others. I think getting something that suits your driving style is important.

I can "drive" the corners pretty well.... It's just that, with this Lynx... I don't have to.... I just need to steer it into the correct spot!

That is still a very competitive heat racing boat, and the current SAW record holder.... ;)
If we want to go there... the current NAMBA SAW record holder is a TS-3 @ 72.886 mph... (P-Open...) P-Ltd is shown as 47.xxx... but I know that Brian went near 60 with his TS-3 setup for that class, he just chose not to apply for the record.

I agree with the comments above... it's more than just the boat... It's the whole package... And, I might suggest, that there may be boats for some that work better than for others. I think getting something that suits your driving style is important.

I can "drive" the corners pretty well.... It's just that, with this Lynx... I don't have to.... I just need to steer it into the correct spot!
I was talking IMPBA SAW...... ;) The ponds we use for SAW are not downhill!!!!!!!...... :eek:

All joking aside, I think we should have a NAMBA/IMPBA SAW Shootout!!!! Same time, same timing equipment, same boats but with alternate rules conformance, (NAMBA one day, IMPBA the next). If anyone could pull this off it would be Kentley Porter!!!!!!..... ;)

:D

All joking aside, I think we should have a NAMBA/IMPBA SAW Shootout!!!! Same time, same timing equipment, same boats but with alternate rules conformance, (NAMBA one day, IMPBA the next).
Not sure what the difference between NAMBA and IMPBA P-OPC rules are (there shouldn't be any difference), but that WOULD be interesting...

Bring your boats to Legg Lake in October, and we'll have at it!! I'm sure that Brian would be game! B)

All joking aside, I think we should have a NAMBA/IMPBA SAW Shootout!!!! Same time, same timing equipment, same boats but with alternate rules conformance, (NAMBA one day, IMPBA the next).
Not sure what the difference between NAMBA and IMPBA P-OPC rules are (there shouldn't be any difference), but that WOULD be interesting...

Bring your boats to Legg Lake in October, and we'll have at it!! I'm sure that Brian would be game! B)
That woukd be a blast for sure. Where the heck is Legg Lake?

That woukd be a blast for sure. Where the heck is Legg Lake?
Legg Lake is in South El Monte, CA... It's an awesome race site where Mark Grim hosts at least 2 SAW events a year, and usually a 2-Lap TT or two as well. It's the lake where Joerge set the fastest FE speed of 143...

The lake is pretty awesome... it actually runs downhill in BOTH directions!! :blink: :p :p

Here is a map:

http://maps.google.c...g+Lake&t=m&z=15

Latest posts

Back