How to do a wire drive?? help!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Krogness

I'm trying to decide on my drive line for my .12 Rigger and kinda want to go the wire drive route to keep the weight down. I have asked this before but lost the thread that included the tips and some knowledge on the subject.

I need a lot of help on this subject as I have no idea where to start, or how its supposed to look. I don't know what wire to use or collets, stub shafts, bearings??? Where do I start?

Thanks for any help!!!

Kevin is yours the Orlic .12 ?

Im doin a lite .12 too, Wondering what yours looked like.

Gene

Wire drive does sound like a cool idea.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kevin,

Greg and I have built 4 JAE 12s and two were the lite versions. We also built a couple of 21s. I had been putting S bend flex drives in all of them. Last year one of the 21s and actually started a fire in the radio box from the heat generated at the S bend. Since then I am building my riggers with a gradual bend rather than the S bend, which seems to alleviate the problem. Under no load condiditons, the S bend was shown to be better in tests that I did with motor-generators about 10 years ago. I think Rod Geraghty did similar tests and came to the same conclusions. However, under axial loading, I am not sure the S bend works well.

Since "the fire" last year, I took one of the 12 lite boats and removed the S bend. After talking to Glen a few times, I installed a wire drive. I only ran it once last season, but it worked great. It was at least as fast as the flex drive, and seemed to launch better. If you want to see the installation, I live in Lakeville and you could come over and look at it. Just call me on 412-327-0651.

Kevin is yours the Orlic .12 ?

Im doin a lite .12 too and was wondering what yours looked like.

Gene

Wire drive does sound like a cool idea.....
Yes it is the Orlic .12. I'm just trying to keep the weight down as I think it was setup to be a heat race boat. Not sure of its actual weight yet but was told with the hardware its actually 8.4 ounces.. I will try and weigh it and get its real tub weight one of these days. I will include some pictures here if I do the wire drive or do a thread in the outrigger section as I'm building it. My be a bit as I just got called back to work for a cople weeks!!!

Hi Kevin,

Greg and I have built 4 JAE 12s and two were the lite versions. We also built a couple of 21s. I had been putting S bend flex drives in all of them. Last year one of the 21s and actually started a fire in the radio box from the heat generated at the S bend. Since then I am building my riggers with a gradual bend rather than the S bend, which seems to alleviate the problem. Under no load condiditons, the S bend was shown to be better in tests that I did with motor-generators about 10 years ago. I think Rod Geraghty did similar tests and came to the same conclusions. However, under axial loading, I am not sure the S bend works well.

Since "the fire" last year, I took one of the 12 lite boats and removed the S bend. After talking to Glen a few times, I installed a wire drive. I only ran it once last season, but it worked great. It was at least as fast as the flex drive, and seemed to launch better. If you want to see the installation, I live in Lakeville and you could come over and look at it. Just call me on 412-327-0651.
Thanks Bob I would love to see it up close!! I'm not sure of the next time I will be in the area but I will get ahold of you!!!

I'm uncertain about what type of drive I will use due to having to build a new ski and the basic understanding of the whole wire drive. But have been searching all night and now I'm back to 50/50 on the whole idea...

Anyhow I have found some good places to look for the wire drive info. Both Charles and Glenn input how to do it! Some you have to weed through the BS and pick out the good stuff...

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=49672&hl= strut bearings&st=0

http://www.rcraceboat.com/

I will post some other links when I find them...

Latest posts

Back