How Much is To Much When doing Sleeve Work

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyEdge

I would like to know how much work on a sleeve is to much.

Intake,Exausht,And transfer ports.

And witch angels work best for Riggers on these areas.

And what dremel bits are being used to achieve the cleanest work.

Also what needs to be done on a drum intake.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:
100% personal preference.

How patient are you as far as tuning? Do you have the time to find a "small" window, and stick with it? Or do you want something with a larger window of tuning? How much prop do you plan to pull? Its endless...

You will also probably get 10 different answers from 10 different people.

I personal use the diamond dremel bits, and stones for doing my sleeve work.

Thanks for the response guy's,I am talking about squeezing all that I can out of an engine but not going so far that it is hard to keep running.And also that it is not a floating bomb,witch I mean that it will only last a few races.

CMB .67 is the engine that I am talking about,I have the patience to work with my boat and I have the (want) to do lots of testing.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thanks for the response guy's,I am talking about squeezing all that I can out of an engine but not going so far that it is hard to keep running.And also that it is not a floating bomb,witch I mean that it will only last a few races.

CMB .67 is the engine that I am talking about,I have the patience to work with my boat and I have the (want) to do lots of testing.

Thanks,

Jeremy
The easiest way to mod an engine and not do irreversable damage is to use sleeve and head shims in combination with pipe changes to feel out what you want in the engine.

I believe that Steve Woods has shims for a lot of our engines.

and one of the biggest things you can do to WAKE up that engine is use a good carb.. the carb that comes with that motor don't cut it in my opinon

Thanks,

Jeremy
The easiest way to mod an engine and not do irreversable damage is to use sleeve and head shims in combination with pipe changes to feel out what you want in the engine.

I believe that Steve Woods has shims for a lot of our engines.

Thanks Charles,

I know about head shims,But not to much about shimming the liner shimming the liner accomplish?

Thanks Charles,

I know about head shims,But not to much about shimming the liner shimming the liner accomplish?

Shimming the liner raises the port roof's, which in turn raises your timing. Problem with that is, if the exhaust is say 172, and the transfers are say 125. And you want to raise your exhaust to lets say 187, you need to raise it 15* on the exhaust port, but that is going to put your transfers way higher then your going to want them (as your shimming the entire sleeve up which will raise ALL the port timing). It is on the other hand, a good way to get yourself in the ballpark without cutting or going to far.

I dont really understand that question? If you go to high on the transfer timing, you will lose all torque and wont be able to pull anything for prop. You need to enter the numbers into the EAS program, or have a degree wheel to figure out a happy medium between the exhaust and transfer ports for shimming.

I dont really understand that question? If you go to high on the transfer timing, you will lose all torque and wont be able to pull anything for prop. You need to enter the numbers into the EAS program, or have a degree wheel to figure out a happy medium between the exhaust and transfer ports for shimming.
I meant to ask how will it affect the transfer ports.

Thanks for catching my point.

and one of the biggest things you can do to WAKE up that engine is use a good carb.. the carb that comes with that motor don't cut it in my opinon
And would you care to fill us in, on what would be a GOOD carb?
I can handle that question though I just might be a little prejudice.

I do not know about the GOOD carb but the BEST carb is the ZOOM..... :)

Charles

Do not hold back there Charles! :p Well I will jump on that band wagon also, Charles cabs. are very well made, work well, and can really improve the flow into the engine. Top stuff for sure.

Paul

Do not hold back there Charles! :p Well I will jump on that band wagon also, Charles cabs. are very well made, work well, and can really improve the flow into the engine. Top stuff for sure.

Paul

Yea I know I had a problem with posting anything and missed a deal I was working with some one on a zoom 67 carb.

I hate blackberry's some times.

Jeremy,

You need a Zoom carb and A iPhone, Blackberries

are made for jam and pies. :D

Just Trying To Help,

Mark Sholund

John Finch went 116+ with the stock CMB black carb on his 67 when he took the E hydro SAW record last spring. While an aftermarket carb may or may not improve performance (no carb in the world will fix a motor that's got wacked out timings), there's more to it than just the carb..........

John Finch went 116+ with the stock CMB black carb on his 67 when he took the E hydro SAW record last spring. While an aftermarket carb may or may not improve performance (no carb in the world will fix a motor that's got wacked out timings), there's more to it than just the carb..........
B) . i've gotten more from "blueprinting" our engines than most mods. you would be amazed at how far out of kilter some are. check rod for straightnes & bushing/bearing bores to be parallel, crank straightness, timings to be as advertised, ports & block/case matching up, & so on. mods can help a lot, but the baseline needs to be right first, imho. talk to rod geraghty, all i can say.

Moparbarn is right on the Blueprinting..This was drumed into me 29 years ago by Dave Richerson of R.P.M .. This will give you more porformance out of your engine than any Hop Up ,with out this ..And if a little more mods are dont after ,,Well it just Iceing on the cake.

Back