How Much Flex...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Just wondering how stiff a rigger or sport hydro hull needs to be for proper handling... Must the tub always be as stiff as possible?

Is a bit of flex OK, or never good? Thanks!

Duane

Just wondering how stiff a rigger or sport hydro hull needs to be for proper handling... Must the tub always be as stiff as possible? Is a bit of flex OK, or never good? Thanks!

Duane
Stiffer the better I would think. Sport boats that are built of wood frame are very stiff once the top decks are glued on there is no twisting the hull so get it straight and flat on the table before the glue sets.

PHIL

Thanks, Phil!

Do boats do strange things if the hull is too flexy..? Do they hop around more in turns, or maybe turn more smoothly (like a little "suspension")..?

Cheers,

Duane

I was under the assumption that this is why wood boats supposedly handle a little better than glass ones , because the wood boats ARE so stiff , i know my gas whiplash is a tonne stiffer than other glass ones, anyone else found this?

what i have found out over the years of running outriggers is that , the bottom plywood would seperate from the side rails by the motor compartment , then i started narrowing the tubs and this made the hull strong and not flex as much as the wider hull.

Back