How long should Bearings last?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

So I've had the same bearings in my nitro engines for the last 4 years, the 45 has just started to lose bottom end power, So I'll change the bearings out.

But it raises the question, how often should I change them?

What's everybody else doing?

Bob, this is like honda or harley?

Some will say every gallon, some will say every other gallon, some will say once a year. Others will tell you when they feel bad. I personally check them weekly, but usually only replace bearings once a year in the off season, unless I shell a rod or notice them not feeling smooth when i pickle my motors. I remove the motors from the boats, and remove the back plates and inspect weekly, so I can get a good look and feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all boils down to run time AND your maint. program ;)

Annually or sooner if needed :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a new set of bearings in my B hydro on about the 6th run one of my ceremic bearings came apart. I use the 50/50 after run. 50% wd40 and 50% transmission fluid. I use to use Marvel Mystery Oil I found out it leaves like a coat of wax on everything. I hope this helps.

I don't have very much trouble with bearings.. but I really clean out all the water from the engine and totally soak them in oil after running.. Maybe every year I change them.

I've had engines that have gone 4-5 years on one set of bearings. I've also had others that have have gone half a season or less. I change them when they start to feel/ sound gritty or the engine begins having trouble holding a needle.

There are a number of reasons that can make a bearing go bad but I wouldn't change them unless they show signs of wear. When an engine is running good, there's no reason to take it apart. Keeping bearings from going bad from what I've found mostly comes down to your after run / storage procedure.

Back