How do you do backcuts on an x series prop?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hugh hargett

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to correctly do backcuts on a stock cupped prop. I also would like to know when doing unstaggered twin props how to get then as identical as possible . Can a back cut be considered a re-rake job or are they totally different?

thanks

Hugh

Last edited:
back cutting a prop will essentially remove lift from the prop, and free up the motor. Let me see if I can find the article by Marty Davis on prop tweaking/cutting.

No Rodney, I know what it does I mean how to do them . The actual prop work.

Last edited:
my bad...... 

just cut it.....  make sure they are the same on both sides and have at it.  On 21 props I usually go 1/8 inch down from the hub, 1/4 inch out from the hub, draw a line and cut away...

Last edited by a moderator:
there is an article from Marty Davis called prop tech notes or something of that matter. Search on here and Im sure it will come up.

Areas to Bend Prop.doc

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to correctly do backcuts on a stock cupped prop. I also would like to know when doing unstaggered twin props how to get then as identical as possible . Can a back cut be considered a re-rake job or are they totally different?

thanks

Hugh
Incidentally, When talking to Dan Hutchinson this weekend - he was showing me one of his props off of a twin that he had, and he just simply put (3) 3/8(approx:) drill holes on each side of his blade towards the top of the rear edge.. He said that it relieved the props very good.

Attachments

• Areas to Bend Prop.doc
    95 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back