How bad did Katrina hurt you?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave roach said:
Time for the truckers to go on strick and this will stop this crap.
112293[/snapback]

After watchin some CNN might be time to send a few bucks to our southern friends.Gas prices are one thing THOSE PEOPLE NEED HELP......Mikey

David Homer said:
you see any foreign countries offereng aid when WE need it??
112292[/snapback]

And you won't either. What I'm saying in my previous post is that if we don't adapt and overcome, we're doomed. And we need to do it before the oil is gone.

Mr. Myrcbud, take a look in Mother earth news magazine. Folks have been making their own methanol for years. One article was about a farmer who ran his entire farm on the stuff and I believe Brazil runs most of it's vehicles on methanol. I'm not saying this is the answer, but petroleum is not. We are killing ourselves as a race by polluting our skies which in turn brings on a climate change which in turn changes the weather (to the worse) It's time for this nation to put on it's thinking cap and come up with a solution. Our country just has to have the foresight to make it happen. We can do it! This nation has always been about being on the leading edge of technology and inovation. Be it electric, hybrid or whatever.

I'd like to take this moment to say the folks effected by this storm are in my thoughts and prayers. Please donate to help these folks out.

Are you saying there IS no alternative to oil cause we would need oil to create the alternatives? That sounds a bit pessimistic I think.

Here in sweden there are already alot of cars running on Ethanol. Cars produced, not by some tiny french hippie company (no offence to any french hippies :p ), but the new SAAB, VOLVO and Ford models. And the Ethanol is cheaper then the gasoline at the moment, so people are putting it in their regular cars aswell. Doesn't work as good there, but hey. it's cheaper. and we're not burning as much fosile fuels.

Yes that's right Ford. an american company is already building cars running completely on an alternative fuel. So why don't they sell them in the US?

I was realy surprised to see that the majority of the cars in NY were huge V8 powered gasgurgling trucks. I don't think I saw one single car in eviromental class A.

Maybe a serious gas crisis is needed to fix these problems? it does seem to have some effect around here atleast.

However, getting back on topic.

What I find realy scary is not the result of the tornado itself, but the chaos and anarchy that has erupted in it's wake.

Gangs of hundreds of armed men, looting, killing and rapeing. This is something I realy didn't expect people were capable of.

You don't move to sahara and expect it to snow. You don't move to the tornado alley and expect it to be safe... and you do NOT live next to people for years and expect them to turn a gun on you when you need their help.

the reports in the news make it sound like a warzone deep in africa. I realy hope, for the people's sake that the reports are overexagarated. :eek:

I live within 45 minutes of New Orleans my fear is that those thugs will move to my area. We are steady getting buss loads of refugees. There are alot of good people in that city, but there are a few that will make all of them look bad. Like the ones shooting at the military evacuation helicopters What kind of mind would do somthing like that? By the way we still do not have electricity cable or the internet. I am just lucky that I work at a large chemical plant that has power and internet services. It is nice to be able to get out of that hot a__ house and get a little AC even though its at work.

Just talked to my wife, her aunt in Albany (just north of New Orleans) is still at work at the hospital since Friday night. They were working in 96deg temperatures inside yesterday. She is an NICU nurse and they actually had to keep sponging the babies down because they were even too hot. She mentioned that it is also getting dangerous there too. People are starting to migrate up that way and they are in dire needs of supplies. They are starting to get out of hand. They have been told at the hospital to stay indoors and if they need to go outside to watch there back. Man, things are getting out of control fast!

Time to start shooting these "insurgents".

Guys,

just thought from down under.

How about a few thoughts for your friends in the areas that Katrina has ravaged/destroyed.

In Sydney our fuel prices are much higher than yours, yes of course the govt gets better than it's fair share, but really, who cares?

If you are reading this, you are still lucky enought to

1) be alive

2) be safe and probably dry

3) still have a home

4) have cars, and roads to drive them on

5) and thinking about how much it's going to cost us to drive to the pond on the weekend to play.

I'de say that were all pretty well off

Mark

"Granted George has no regard for our troops lives at this point" - this is a quote from Curt earlier in this thread.

My question is, Curt, do you REALLY, IN YOUR HEART, ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS?

Eric Canto said:
"Granted George has no regard for our troops lives at this point" - this is a quote from Curt earlier in this thread.
My question is, Curt, do you REALLY, IN YOUR HEART, ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS?

112361[/snapback]

I, to a point, believe this in some way. George persisted that there were weapons of mass destruction and there are none. So, to a certain degree, his is trying to save his butt right now.

Come on guys, this post is not to minimize the Katrina victims. Unless you are going to drive down to help then all you can do is mail some type of relief and pray.

The U.S. may be the best country to live in and I too would not move but we as a democracy by the people need to keep a check on the government. The internet is a great tool for people to communicate.

Doesn't 40% of the Alaskian pipe line go somewhere else?

Preston_Hall said:
Doesn't 40% of the Alaskian pipe line go somewhere else?
112363[/snapback]

Yup it sure does. And remember all the uproar about a month ago when the Chinese were trying to buy a US petro company?? Well guess what? 90% of THAT gas we are already selling to the Chinese! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost $3.50 a gallon tonight for 87 octane. My wife was talking to someone who had to go to the Secretary of State's office today and they've been really busy processing licenses for Mo-Ped's, Scooters and Motorcycles.

I saw $1.35 per litre on my way to work this morning. :ph34r: Someone is making money.

Just one more reason I'm taking a break from boating.

Inactive RJ

dave roach said:
Time for the truckers to go on strick and this will stop this crap.
112293[/snapback]

I am in Trucking, Stricking will only make things worse. 2 of my trucks are coming in now, unless the rates come up, not sure if we can afford the fuel to keep running.

Mike

"The U.S. may be the best country to live in and I too would not move but we as a democracy by the people need to keep a check on the government. The internet is a great tool for people to communicate."

Preston, it is.

But, rumors and outright bogus "facts" just freely tossed about make it far less useful than it could be

Don, the Alaska pipeline oil doesn't go to China.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca..._export17m.html

The heart of the article is:

Just 4 percent of North Slope oil trickled to Asia between 1996 and 2000, before the flow shut off almost entirely. Since then, the only export was a single tanker in 2004, which delivered a load of oil to China en route to getting repaired at an Asian port.

"And don't forget the Bush family is in the oil business. ohmy.gif"

And the Baseball business, too! (Texas Rangers)

If that logic is true, then Major League Baseball must be part of the Grand Conspiracy with BIG OIL? :lol:

People, many people, have lost not only houses and belongings, they lost their lives.

Doesn't whining about $3, $4, or even $5 a gallon gas seem just a little petty? Especially, when oil based fuels being expended to power everything from single drivers in monster-sized trucks and SUVs to R/C hobby planes, cars , and boats, adding to the overall problem.

KW

Kevin Whitehead said:
Don, the Alaska pipeline oil doesn't go to China.
112499[/snapback]

Never said it did. What I did say was 90% of the petro from that US refinery that China was trying to buy is already going to China.

Yes I do stand corrected on the oil out of Alaska as the pecentages going elsewhere have decreased. Bottom line is since we are so dependent on this stuff we need to stop selling it elsewhere. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid 298 agallon yesterday and thought i was doing good to beat the 3.00 mark what the hell is wrong with that picture.

The Speedway stations are dropping their prices in Michigan to $2.999 a gallon. Maybe the other stations will follow. This is a good 40 or more cents a gallon cheaper than the others.

arm9zt.jpg

Back