Hotshot Sprint 3.5 Mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTR

Hi Guy's,

I guess this is really directed to Jerry Dunlap, but, has anyone tried tunnel mods on a Hotshot Sprint 3.5. Given Jerry's recent experience and shifts in design I was wondering if it was worth trying to narrow the tunnel 1/2 inch and maybe 1/8 inch deeper.

Any assistance appreciated before I start doing this to my boat. (Boat was a roughy brought off EBAY and it would be easy to incorporate changes during fix-up)

cheers

GT 8)

Kinda depends on what engine your using, a K@B SS, or one of the new powerheads, The Sprint is a great little hull, But for the newer powerheads its a little short, needs to be longer, like the Dunlap 27.

Gene ;D

GT,

The Hot Shot Sprint is a good little boat, the problem is the work "little."

It's hard to believe that design is now twelve years old. The 24" Sprint was designed for the K&B 3.5 of 1989. The modifications to the K&B in the 90s increased it's power.

I never really did any modifications to the Sprint. Rather than modifing the 24" version, I just designed the Dunlap 27.

If you are just going to run the Sprint as a sport tunnel, it will work fine.

Jerry Dunlap

Didn't we discuss Gary Preusse's Sprint at length on the old forum? There was pictures as well as a lot of info. Anyone still got the details?

Hey All

i believe you (GT) are going to race it arnt you?

Jerry, if you were going to race it, what mods do you think you would make to it? other than length ;)

Kris

Here is a picture of Gary's Hotshot (I think).

It was decided that it was so fast because he left out one screw in the lower half of his outboard.

Kris,

There are two versions of the Hot Shot 3.5 Sprint - wood kit and ABS plastic. I would definitely go with the wood kit because plastic boats are often "tweaked" when the top and bottom halves are joined.

I would add outside sponson edges like I now do on all my tunnel boats. Other than that, I don't think I'd do any other modifications to the hull.

The tunnel hull that Gary Preusse runs is one I built for him probably ten years ago(maybe even more than that). It's a WOF(wood over foam) that he coated with a thin layer of cloth. It is very similar to the Hot Shot 3.5 Sprint.

Jerry Dunlap

Hi Guys,

I haven't decided if I am going to narrow the tunnel on the sprint or not yet (wood) but was going to put running strips on the sponson bottoms to make sure running serfaces are true. I thought I recognised the Gary Pruesse hull as one of your 'bolt-a-boat' designs as I have one of these also.

thanks for any help

cheers

GT ;D

I built a modified wood version of the Hot Shot and did much of what you are suggesting. I lowerd the nose lift in the first two inches of the bottom about 1/8". I also built a wider sponson on the front third of the outside sponson. I run the boat in the Sport 20 class using a K&B 3.5ss. Running a modified x442, I have never seen a faster Sport 20 boat. The only one to come close was another wood Hot Shot. The boat does occassionally stuff in rough water, so perhaps the reduction in nose life isn't necessary, but it is a rocket otherwise. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back