Hospitalized! Bob "Jaguar" Ferguson

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Fellow boaters,

Bob Ferguson the builder of Jaguar hydros and my good friend landed in the hospital after collapsing at his regular job the night before last. I spoke with Bob today after his release and he is now resting at home after a rather close brush with the limits of life. After being hospitalized and tested more times than he cares to think it has been determined that Bob had a serious and previous unknown issue with his blood sugar levels. I'm no expert on the subject and will do my best to recall all he told me (and it was a lot) but after collapsing and fading in and out of consciousness he was taken to the hospital and they found his blood sugar level was something close to 600 with that point being where a person would fall into a coma. The doctors have placed him on special meds and a very restricted protein based diet. Not only is he to avoid sugars but also starches as in one of the tests they had him eat a peanut butter sandwich (just bread and peanut butter) and he had another surge in his blood sugars. Without going into too much detail basically the doctors told him he must change his dietary lifestyle or next time he will not be so lucky and that there is no 1/2 way, do it right or wind up in a box 6 feet under. The upside is that his blood work is already way way better and the same doctors told him that in a matter of a few weeks he'd feel like a new man and that this condition explained all his previous symptoms that he kept brushing off blaming it on fatigue and being burnt out from too much shop time. Bob doesn't have a way to get online currently as his PC crashed a couple weeks back and he wanted to get past the holidays before getting a new one. He did not ask me to do this and might bust my chops for doing so once he finds out but I feel his boating friends needed to know. The funny part is even after he told me all what happened he started saying how he needed to get some boats finished and shipped to Australia and just needed about a day or so in the shop. I told him to forget the boats until he's rested up enough and he promised me he'd do so. In that regard for those waiting on other stuff from Bob (myself included) please be advised of what has happened and let's let him get the doc's OK to resume his shop activities. This was quite serious and we almost lost another one, thankfully the man upstairs was looking out for the big guy. Heal fast Hollywood and listen to the doctors!

Last edited by a moderator:
i wish bob speedy recovery. I feel him because i have the same issue i have to keep my sugar in check if not as Don explained above could happen to me too..

Julian

Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Get well Bob.

Bob Get Well Soon and eat good healthy fruit and vegatable food well . Keep away fry or grease food Allan

Forget the boats for a while, Bubba! Your health comes FIRST! Besides, we want to see you at some races next year. Take it easy for a while.............

Dick Tyndall

600! Wow! When I found out that I was a Type II I went into the ER and mine was only at 400, I can't imagine what 600 must be like.

Have him check in with a Dietition as his doctor should be able to recommend a good one. If his insurance is any good he can also go in for physical therapy.

If he drinks, he's going to have to cut that out as alcohol is high in sugars, this is why I rarely drink anymore and the hangovers are worse.

Bob,

I hope you get well soon.

Your diet is a lifestyle change that is for sure.

Without our health we cannot play with our toy boats.

Enjoy Life,

Mark Sholund

Don't worry Bob, I checked and the Tilted Kilt has a low calorie diet menu for just this situation. Now I can't promis that the Girls wont give you a hard time for ordering it, but the attention from them is well worth it!

Call ya this week to see how your doing.

W

Sorry to hear about Bob, sugar is nothing to play around with. He was very lucky not to go into a coma with suger that high. Get that sugar level and eat healthy, We will be thinking about you and our prayers with you.

Yeah my dad has sugar and when the levels arent right the body goes crazy. Most definitely lay off working on boats and get well first.Always check your levels even tho it kinda sucks and abide by the dr. dietary recommendation. I know how serious it is coz I lost a girlfriend to it. She was only 30 or so at the time she died. She refused to follow the Dr. rules.

The Hargett family has you in their prayers.

take care Bob!

Hugh

Latest posts

Back