History on Budweiser T6

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Smith

Hey there. Can anyone provide a quick history of the Budweiser T6 hulls. I believe there were two. One or both went to Formula but I'm not sure where they are now. I recently picked up a Budweiser T6 and if I cannot get the registration in my local club I'd like to know what other boats it can do. I know if will do most current hydoplanes but would like to keep it true to the real boat if possible. Thanks

Ken

Actually Ken, there was only one T6. It was run last season as the Graham Trucking with T5 as the display/backup boat though that info isn't listed in the R/C Unlimiteds MHR. Your best options would be to go through the Master Hull Roster and talk to Harry Gatjens as he probably knows more about the Bud hulls than anyone.

The formerly " Born on Date 15 June 00" T-6 Boat called the U-1 Miss Budweiser (all red) became the U-5 Formulaboats.com (all red) and running now as the U-5 Graham Trucking (yellow, orange and red).

The three Formular/Budweiser Boats T-3 T-5 and T-6 running at the moment under 3 different Sponsors, one is the actually U-57 Formulaboats.com, the second one i dont know at the moment, but it was the formerly Valken and the third one is the U-5 Graham Trucking formerly U-1 Miss Budweiser T-6.

maybe this will help

http://www.gatjens.com/2002t6/t6.htm

http://hydrophotog.smugmug.com/Sports/Unlimited-Hydroplanes/U5U7U57-June-2011/17448748_h6QNKx#!i=1327803334&k=P39MsGS

Juergen

Last edited by a moderator:
The U57 is not a Budweiser T boat. It is actually formerly a Miss Emcor and 2000 Appian Jeronimo. It originally started life as a Winston. The T3 is now owned by USA Racing partners and was campaigned as the Hoss Mortgage and most recently the 88 Degree Men. The T6 was the Formula Boats I (U5) The T5 was the Formula Boats II (U7). Both the T5 and the T6 have had the Graham Trucking on them at various times but the 6 is the current Graham Trucking Boat. It's kind of confusing because they changed the numbers on the boats when the T6 ran the U7 for the Valken sponsorship. Now it's back on the T5.

DARN, Mike beat me to it B)

Just an added piece of trivia, the T-5 was primarily a back up and display boat during the 2012 season

They are using both boats in 2013. The t6 ran in Doha and the T5 will be the US circuit boat.

The U57 is not a Budweiser T boat. It is actually formerly a Miss Emcor and 2000 Appian Jeronimo. It originally started life as a Winston. The T3 is now owned by USA Racing partners and was campaigned as the Hoss Mortgage and most recently the 88 Degree Men. The T6 was the Formula Boats I (U5) The T5 was the Formula Boats II (U7). Both the T5 and the T6 have had the Graham Trucking on them at various times but the 6 is the current Graham Trucking Boat. It's kind of confusing because they changed the numbers on the boats when the T6 ran the U7 for the Valken sponsorship. Now it's back on the T5.
I don't think so Mike

if the t-6 boat run under the valken sponsorship, how can you explain this pic?

http://beepear.devia...cking-258535931

The orange,red and yellow U-5 Graham and the U-5 Formula.com was always the formerly Miss Budweiser U-1 T-6 boat.

As you can see the Valken can't be the T-6 if there exist only one of them.

The U-7 boat runs only as the "all red" Graham and never as a three colored Graham

Juergen the that is not the same graphics scheme as the 2012 boat. The lettering is the same but the substrate colors and pattern are not. I have seen both boats in person in 2012 and I have talked to members of the team. Since at the beginning of this season they were only going to run one boat and they chose the T6 because they felt it had better handling characteristics for what they wanted to do.

Here is a picture of the T5 from TriCities last year. As you can see the Valken is right behind it.

2011ColumbiaCupDay00216-XL.jpg

Here is a picture of the T6 from last year as the Valken

2011MadisonDay10459-XL.jpg

Notice there is a small 6 on the white antenna on the top of the cockpit. On the T5 there is usually a 5 but in the previous pic there isn't one. This is how they were identified.

Here is a picture of the Graham T6 taken by me at Tri Cities in 2012

IMG_4950.jpg

Notice that the 2012 Graham has the 6 just as the 2011 Valken did. Also notice the U57 in the background.

I can answer that one. The Valken is T-6 and the Graham is T-5 in that shot. As Mike was saying, that shot is from 2011 so it would be accurate. I also know I saw the T-5 in Seattle at SeaFair last August with that paint scheme on display while T-6 was down in the pits. How I know it was T-5 on display is on the transom was a plate that was imprinted with T-5. From what I've been told, parts that fit T-5(such as access plates, wings and such) won't fit T-6

So the Valken was not running in 2012. Mark, was this the GT T5 backup boat in 2012 you mentioned? They ran the T6 in Dohar but will be running the T5 in the states for 2013. If they have 2 GT hulls its possible to have a registration for each in the local scale clubs. I know rcu has at least 1 GT boat with the updated orange color scheme. In terms of hull to hull comparisons I believe it would take an expert to determine the differences between the current T5 and T6 boats. If I remember correctly, the original T5 did not have a swim deck or dropped sponson. It may have even had tiplets in its earliest form. Not sure though.

Hey Mike,

Those pics you just added help a lot. I can see the differences in the GT paint scheme now between the T5 and T6 boats. Thx

When the T5 was originally built it had a different cockpit hatch and and no tiplets. It had the same hatch that the T4 had. It also had a single canard wing with flaps like the older style boats did. In fact it looked very much like the Pico boats did where the cockpit was faired into the canard wing. It was later rebuilt after Dave Villwock crashed it in TriCties. It was changed to the configuration it has now like the T6. The cockpit is shorter and more recessed with a cockpit spar and the canard wing pushed all the way forward. I would assume if they ran the T6 in Doha this year and the T5 runs stateside this year, as soon as the T5 runs in a sanctioned event it will be legal to build and run as a GT.

Thanks Ken. I have crawled all over these boats at San Diego and Tri Cities which have been my only chances to see them. I've seen the small structural differences which are mainly under the boat. Plus I crawl all over em to map them for graphics for our boats.

I've talked to Scott Liddycoat, Jimmy Shane, Jeff Bernard, Mike Allen and even Dave Villwock back in 2004 and they all had different takes on the boats. Some things were the same but obviously they all drive differently so certain things stood out differently to each.

So, that being said, you would need to talk to Kirk Maupin for R/CU and Doug Kirk at UNW to find out for sure what is and what isn't legal to register

Hey Mark,

Emailed both earlier this week. I'm hoping to get the Bud T6 registration as that is the current scheme on the boat I purchased. However, I know this is a popular boat in all clubs so I started this thread in hopes of having some alternative ideas. The current GT is a pretty boat but it looks like a heck of a paint job in terms of difficulty and time involved. I may do some more reasearch to see what former Bud T6 paint schemes are primarily red. This should reduce the amount of time and talent involved in prepping the boat for the upcoming race season. I know Formula Boats is the obvious one and this too is popular in clubs. Perhaps, slight differences in minor sponsorships from race to race...ie DYC precents Formula Boats,Red Dot presents Formula Boats, etc. These remained all red hulls for the most part. Thanks all :)

dyc1.JPG

reddot1.JPG

I'm doing a Bud T-6 in Dist 14. My favorite boat growing up and simple to paint. For my first scale I'm pretty pumped.

My question is what shade of black is on the bottom of the T-6.

Scott, The wife and I were at the race in Madison and that black boat was impressive to watch. I have one question; did you ever pull your right foot off the floorboard?

Latest posts

Back