hi i am new and i need hepl

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dario Moreno

Hi I am new to this forum and I would like to help me with my boat

I have a VS1 boat with thunder tiger engine and I have some questions

What fuel to use?

What prop to use?

What changes I can make this engine?

I leave a video, in the last 20 seconds you can see my boat at 100% speed, the VS1 is blue.

Thanks

Fuel: as high of a nitro percentage as you can get. If you can get 55%, great, run it. If you can only get 30%, that will work too.

Prop: x637. Thats the prop for that motor. It loves it.

Changes: Get ahold of Alden Cost or Jerry Wyss on here. You will have one screaming sport or mod motor. You wont be disappointed. Jerry was Alden's teacher if you will, and the motors run like raped apes when you get them right.

Dario,

Looking at the cource you race on.. 30% nitro will be fine.. truth is 20% would work too.

It does not look like speed was all the low on your boat.. Ture the other boat (Orange Top Speed 3) was faster at some sections of the cource I saw many chances for you to hang with him.

On a race cource that size I would try an M440 as well. You might also want to try a K-42 prop.

Keep racing!

Grimracer

Not sure what you can mod on your TT in your club but Jerry has a mod that just changes the insides and appears stock... If you want to go all out look in the for sale forum and pickup the Gadjet craft pipe and that little tt will fly!!!! What prop do you have on now??? Short course like that I would be looking for some acceleration!!!

Wow! That's a different kind of racing! Looks like a blast. Wish we raced like that here.

Mike

thank you very much for your answers.

I currently use a x438 octura prop and fuel 16%.

Send a PM to Alden Cost or Jerry Wyss to ask for more information.

In Spain there is not much liking this categorie, but in my city, Seville, we are many, we all use thunder tiger, only the top Speed3 uses an OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys in a boating club that has insurance??? If so, I really hope you are not in NAMBA because the rubber raft on the course during race would be cause to cancel it WHEN THE INEVITABLE ACCIDENT HAPPENS! PLEASE DO NOT RUN BOATS WITH A RETRIEVE BOAT ON THE WATER!!

Don

Hi Dario - welcome to IW.

First easy modification, remove the head button. on the edge of the combustion shamber there is a groove where the head contacts the sleeve. inside this groove there is an aluminium shim (it's hard to see being the same material, but it's there). Remove that shim. This alone will net some improvemnt by raising the compression ratio. Next, change the angle on the water pickup to reduce the amount of water going into the cooling jacket. More heat = free horsepower on the TT.

After that we get down to more technical modifications. Definately agree with the above mentioned reference to using an X637 Octura prop.

First easy modification, remove the head button. on the edge of the combustion shamber there is a groove where the head contacts the sleeve. inside this groove there is an aluminium shim (it's hard to see being the same material, but it's there). Remove that shim. This alone will net some improvemnt by raising the compression ratio. Next, change the angle on the water pickup to reduce the amount of water going into the cooling jacket. More heat = free horsepower on the TT.

After that we get down to more technical modifications. Definately agree with the above mentioned reference to using an X637 Octura prop.
what he say's B)

what he say's B)

couldnt have said it better dubs........ oh and the above mentioned jerry was my teacher,,,,, yep you got that right,,, but we forgot to mention another one of my tt mentors,,,,,,,, mr. tim duggan............ they have tought me well,,,just gotta have the right teachers :p :p :p :p B) .....

hit the octura x637 like stated above... it will love you for it,,,also like tim said,,choke up the water cooling or loose it all together,,,, like the saying goes,,,,,,,COOL WITH FUEL...... more heat= more fuel burn potential= power.......

chop some of that skeg back too...... the tt carries enough wieght already,, its nice to loose a little here and there.. ;)

restrictions in your club races is what you will have to deal with.....

Alden cost

TD, how the hell could I forget about Tim! Jesus. Sorry Tim, as much as you have helped me along the way, and cant even mention yah. Sorry brother!! Tim is another TT master. :D

The guy driving that TS3 put on one heck of a show. Kinda cool seeing the boats race the same direction as full size tunnels.

A stock Thunder Tiger is not going to be as fast as a stock O.S. The TT is a nice engine.

JD

what he say's B)

couldnt have said it better dubs........ oh and the above mentioned jerry was my teacher,,,,, yep you got that right,,, but we forgot to mention another one of my tt mentors,,,,,,,, mr. tim duggan............ they have tought me well,,,just gotta have the right teachers :p :p :p :p B) .....

hit the octura x637 like stated above... it will love you for it,,,also like tim said,,choke up the water cooling or loose it all together,,,, like the saying goes,,,,,,,COOL WITH FUEL...... more heat= more fuel burn potential= power.......

chop some of that skeg back too...... the tt carries enough wieght already,, its nice to loose a little here and there.. ;)

Alden cost
^^^^^What they say^^^^^ They are the ones behind my screaming TT!!!!! Hope to race my tt this sumer against the OS and GO's will see how the TT does!!!! Looks like you just need to get the setup a little better! She should zip more then that in stock form... Raise the prop up a bit more and get her reving up!!!

Since we are on the TT subject what is the fastest you have all got one to go on a tunnel???

what he say's B)

Alden cost
^^^^^What they say^^^^^ They are the ones behind my screaming TT!!!!! Hope to race my tt this sumer against the OS and GO's will see how the TT does!!!! Looks like you just need to get the setup a little better! She should zip more then that in stock form... Raise the prop up a bit more and get her reving up!!!

Since we are on the TT subject what is the fastest you have all got one to go on a tunnel???

53mph (on gps) Awefully tempermental though and rarely finished a race. It takes a lot of rpm to make a tt lower do that speed.

I've looked at cutting the engine, please tell me if I have to remove the part Nº 12?

I have to change the type of spark plug if I take that washer?

I have to do more to avoid damaging the engine?

hi dario,,,

im sorry but i dont understand the first question :unsure: .... what is No. 12?

the skeg is reduced so that it looks similar to a o.s lower unit skeg.......i will post a picture for you to see....

o.k,,,,,,,,,,,,GLOW PLUG,,, i would recommend the use of the k&b 1L #7301 glow plug...the hole where the element is housed is smaller than most,,, which helps sqeeze down the bubble volume in the head button a hair,,,,now its not a ton,,,but it does.... this plug is in the hot range,,,which i would absolutely stay with.... the k&b plug also fits perfect as far as length of threaded area...

remove the head shim,,, its there,, like tim said they are hard to see as they are aluminum.......

low to no water cooling,,, again,,,cool with more fuel..temp is critical,,, the tt lower is a massive heat sink....

x637 prop or a reduced x640,,,keep raising the engine till it looses bite in the turns,, then come down a hair or till it wont come loose in the turns..... you need a certain degree of cavitation for the engine to produce good rpm,,which in turn will push you faster...

30-60% fuel will work fine...

alden

well scratch that,,, the pics are in my old computer......... look at my profile pic,,, the lower in the pic has been cut.........

alden

hi dario,,,

im sorry but i dont understand the first question :unsure: .... what is No. 12?

the skeg is reduced so that it looks similar to a o.s lower unit skeg.......i will post a picture for you to see....

o.k,,,,,,,,,,,,GLOW PLUG,,, i would recommend the use of the k&b 1L #7301 glow plug...the hole where the element is housed is smaller than most,,, which helps sqeeze down the bubble volume in the head button a hair,,,,now its not a ton,,,but it does.... this plug is in the hot range,,,which i would absolutely stay with.... the k&b plug also fits perfect as far as length of threaded area...

remove the head shim,,, its there,, like tim said they are hard to see as they are aluminum.......

low to no water cooling,,, again,,,cool with more fuel..temp is critical,,, the tt lower is a massive heat sink....

x637 prop or a reduced x640,,,keep raising the engine till it looses bite in the turns,, then come down a hair or till it wont come loose in the turns..... you need a certain degree of cavitation for the engine to produce good rpm,,which in turn will push you faster...

30-60% fuel will work fine...

alden
No 12 is the shim Alden, just looked on my online manual!!! http://mms.tiger.tw/upload/2009-11/20091129908.pdf And I think you meant to say K&B 7311 correct??? And as Alden is talking about cavitation get that prop up!!! Kinda stinks having a TT cause all the manuals are for that dang OS, so you have to find the setup for the TT all on your own... Very rewarding when you do find the sweet spot with the TT though!!!

Back