help painting boat hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460_f100_dude

i have a new boat hull its amost ready to go out on its maiden voyage to the lake should i paint it before or after the first run, and it has been gelcoated in white, do i wet sand it w/ a high grit sand paper before i primer it? any help on anythign to do w/ painting is greatly appriciated, also i dont know what type of a scheme to do so if anyone has any ideas for it go ahead and suggest them thanks ahead of time Darren

You can paint a gel coated boat before or after running it. If you wait till after make sure you clean it really well to get rid of any oil.

Before you paint it wipe it down with laqer thinner and sand the gloss off with 400 grit wet paper.

For paint schemes try looking at Hot Boat magazine or Propellor magazine.

Mark

your on the right track. finished it before the run on the water get it right the first time. look at my last post.

tks,kn

I always like to paint my customers boats before it's been ran. There are no gaurantees once you run it that no matter how many chemicals you use and how often you clean it that there isn't some residule oil left over that will screw up the paint process.

However, the one good side about running before painting is you can see how the boat handles and performs before you painted it so when after you paint it you'll know where to make adjustments such as sanding the bottom or the sponsons etc....

If its got a jell coat. Apply decals & run it.. Its hard to get a paint finish to look as good a a jell coat.

Im filling hundreds of pin holes on a epoxy hull. Be glad yours is finished already.

Back