help calibrating ESC throttle endpoints on a pistol grip

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally Marsh

Supporting Member
This is my first time setting up an FE boat and hitting a wall trying to figure how to calibrate the ESC endpoints (especially low) to associate with position of throttle on a pistol grip transmitter. I am very familiar with set up on nitro or gas but this has me stumped. I am trying to associate “zero” throttle with the neutral position (not braking) on the throttle trigger. I’ve tried setting up endpoints, throttle trim, and even throttle sub-trim on the radio, but every time I “arm” the ESC by going to the lowest position (braking) it runs approximately 1/3 throttle at the neutral position, not “0” (off). According to the ESC instructions (Castle Thunderbird 54) it uses automatic end point set up after going to the lowest position. I am guessing a stick radio would set up correctly since there is no neutral position on the throttle stick as on a pistol grip trigger.

Boat is JAE Mini-Sprint FE

ESC is Castle Creations Thunderbird 54

Radio is a new Futaba PM-X Fasst

Thanks for any help to an FE newbie,

Wallster

This little device is what you need.
default_wink.png

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=msw-pistix&cat=136

ive never used this brand of esc but u can prob get the info by calling castle they have there number on there web site....all the turnegy esc I have are calabrated byt pulling the trigger to full and hold it ...then plug in the batts and after the tone let trigger go to nutral...done

Thanks to both for your advice and experience. I already tried as Ron suggested to no avail, may try one more time. Sounds like being a low end aircraft ESC is the issue and the adapter will be the trick to make this work with a pistol grip radio.

Wally

I use the Pistix on all my aircraft Castle controllers with my wheel radio. Now that you can't get their high amp boat controllers, it's the solution for wheel radios.

Lohring Miller

Wally,

I use aircraft ESC's in a few pistol applications (think airboats). The trick is dependant on the radio. I have a FlySky GT3C and I can set up a throttle curve. The important thing here is that at 0, 25, and 50% of travel on the stick, the output needs to be 0%, then at 75% it needs to be 50% output and then at 100% of stick, it needs to put out 100%. When you calibrate, you pull throttle to full, then plug in the battery, when it beeps you let the trigger no neutral, and then it should be good.

I cannot speak from experience with Castle, or with the Futaba, but this works with my FlySky and with a bunch of off-brand ESC's.

Good luck.

Curtis

I received the PiStix today and 5 minutes later problem resolved, pistol wheel Tx works as it should now. Thanks to all for the good advise, especially Doug for pointing me to the PiStix adaptor.

Now if we can get the rain and wind to stop here in central Iowa I can go play with my new toy
default_biggrin.png
The Mini Sprint FE project has re-energized me and is a different challenge to my nitro perspective, I plan to dial it down for my young grandsons, one is already flying electric park flyers at age 5.

Wallster

Hi Wally .this may help u , it did me , this is what I did using my 4PLS futaba radio

1 exp-brake at -85

2 end point - Thr at 120, brake at 20

3 subtrim - at B-31

4 reverse- Thr only

5 also set your micro trim ( on or near ) little button , at B -14.

I hope this will help , u may need to tweak a little, base on what radio u r using. Darryl

Back