Hello All! New to R.C. Boating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Moore

Hey guys,

My names Bob, and I've been reading the forum for a few days. Got my account validated and now I can post! First off I just wanted to say how great this site is. I have a lot to learn.

I just bought an almost finished Rebel 45 with a full race motor. Probably getting in over my head but I like a challenge. Any links to help on proper set-up, etc would be appreciated. I have experience with Nitro trucks but totally new to boating. Thanks all and looking to get some advice and eventually contribute something to the forum.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Its great to have you in the hobby!! I think, maybe, a rebel 45 is a gas boat. If I am right, which mod motor? what pipe? Do you have a prop yet? Oh, and where are you? You may have boaters closer to you than you think. Ken

hi bob, welcome to iw and r/c boating. i just got back into boat after a long time away,but this is a great place to talk and meet new people. please let the guys know where your from so maybe some of the guys could meet up with you and help you out. good luck and have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,Its great to have you in the hobby!! I think, maybe, a rebel 45 is a gas boat. If I am right, which mod motor? what pipe? Do you have a prop yet? Oh, and where are you? You may have boaters closer to you than you think. Ken
Thank you for the welcome. Yes the motor is gas. It is a Zenoah from Hanson. Has I think all the mods including hanson pipe (I don't know which one) , clutch, waterpump. Everything including the hull is brand new. Motor has not been run. I got 4 props with the boat. I attached some PICS and hopefully did it right.

I am located in Auburn CA. near Sacramento. Quite a few lakes/rivers around so running shouldn't be a problem.

Balancer.JPG

Cockpit.JPG

Header_Pipe.JPG

Hull.JPG

Zenoah.JPG

Hull_Rear.JPG

Hull_Side.JPG

al chianelli would have the carb settings for that motor and can most likely recommend a good prop to start out with. some good advice- join namba or impba and a local club, it is amazing the help you can get from fellow racers running along side you

al chianelli would have the carb settings for that motor and can most likely recommend a good prop to start out with. some good advice- join namba or impba and a local club, it is amazing the help you can get from fellow racers running along side you
Thank you for your helpful comments. I have an email into my local namba contact to join. No impba in my local area or I would look into that too. I will look for al chianelli on the member list and contact him for the info.

Bob

Pics of rudder/prop setup. What do you think of this setup? I will not be racing until I learn to steer this thing.

Rudders_and_Prop.JPG

prop.JPG

Hey Bob~

Welcome...You are in good hands here. I'm new myself and have always received good advice on every topic I have put up! The knowledge and experience here is invaluable. Not to mention the members are a great bunch of guy's.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards Jeff~

al chianelli owns bh hanson, you can contact him there. that is a beffy looking dual rudder setup, no chance that will ever break, the prop looks "raw" i dont think it was balanced & sharpened, you may want to check that

al chianelli owns bh hanson, you can contact him there. that is a beffy looking dual rudder setup, no chance that will ever break, the prop looks "raw" i dont think it was balanced & sharpened, you may want to check that
John, You are correct. None of the props have been balanced or sharpened. I am thinking of sending them off to have this done until I learn how. Can you recommend anyone? I will be contacting Hanson for tuning and breakin recommendations. Don't wont to ruin a very expensive motor.

Bob

Hi Bob,Its great to have you in the hobby!! I think, maybe, a rebel 45 is a gas boat. If I am right, which mod motor? what pipe? Do you have a prop yet? Oh, and where are you? You may have boaters closer to you than you think. Ken
Thank you for the welcome. Yes the motor is gas. It is a Zenoah from Hanson. Has I think all the mods including hanson pipe (I don't know which one) , clutch, waterpump. Everything including the hull is brand new. Motor has not been run. I got 4 props with the boat. I attached some PICS and hopefully did it right.

I am located in Auburn CA. near Sacramento. Quite a few lakes/rivers around so running shouldn't be a problem.
I see you live in the NAMBA 9 district model boat area. Check out our web site for clubs and race schedules. NAMBA9.net

Welcome to boating, first your is hull is made by AC BOATS they have a website with many photos showing correct hardware. The hardware you have is from marine specialtys, DO NOT run your boat until you change to a single ruder with a built in water pickup. Your engine will be distroyed from over heating useing a propblast pickup and cluch combination. Your engine is a QUICKDRAW high RPM early model, they are prone to overheating. A good idea is to use high octane race fuel as it burns cooler and less chance of detonation, these engines have high compresion compared to zenoah. Lastly you must use NGK spark plugs NOT champions, the electrode in the champs will come loose and fall into cylinder of high comp. high temp engines. When your ready to run I sugest that you use 10 ounces oil per gallon for breakin. I use BELRAY H1R pure syn raceing oil about 17 dollars per liter - 1.056 quarts. You will have a realy fast boat once your done have fun.

Welcome to boating, first your is hull is made by AC BOATS they have a website with many photos showing correct hardware. The hardware you have is from marine specialtys, DO NOT run your boat until you change to a single ruder with a built in water pickup. Your engine will be distroyed from over heating useing a propblast pickup and cluch combination. Your engine is a QUICKDRAW high RPM early model, they are prone to overheating. A good idea is to use high octane race fuel as it burns cooler and less chance of detonation, these engines have high compresion compared to zenoah. Lastly you must use NGK spark plugs NOT champions, the electrode in the champs will come loose and fall into cylinder of high comp. high temp engines. When your ready to run I sugest that you use 10 ounces oil per gallon for breakin. I use BELRAY H1R pure syn raceing oil about 17 dollars per liter - 1.056 quarts. You will have a realy fast boat once your done have fun.
And remove the cluch! Boris

John, You are correct. None of the props have been balanced or sharpened. I am thinking of sending them off to have this done until I learn how. Can you recommend anyone? I will be contacting Hanson for tuning and breakin recommendations. Don't wont to ruin a very expensive motor.

Bob
lots a guys doing props these days, dasboata, bob austin and many more, a modded finished prop will run you 50-75$ and which one? one great advantage you should look for is getting into a local club and trying someone elses props and seeing what works, there are maybe 10 different props that someone will recommend but only one works the best, before spending a thousand dollars on props get into a club and most racers will be glad to help you out, good luck

John, THANKS! I get the feeling you just saved me a lot of heartache not to mention money. The guy I bought this from said he got this from Hanson and it was a Zenoah. Does Hanson sell these quickdraw motors? What size NGK plug is correct?

Can I use 100 octane low lead AVGAS? I buy it from the local airport for my old BSA motorcycle. Lots cheaper than race fuel. I can get the belray from the local cycle gear bike shop I think. I'm going to the A.C. site now. Where can I get the single rudder hardware from? Sorry for my ignorance, I guess we all have to start somewhere.

Bob
lots a guys doing props these days, dasboata, bob austin and many more, a modded finished prop will run you 50-75$ and which one? one great advantage you should look for is getting into a local club and trying someone elses props and seeing what works, there are maybe 10 different props that someone will recommend but only one works the best, before spending a thousand dollars on props get into a club and most racers will be glad to help you out, good luck
John, These are the props I got. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picks but if so should I hang onto them or are they not in the ballpark for this boat? I may have to get a second job to support this hobby LOL.

Bob

Props.JPG

best one to ask about that quickdraw is todd at quickdraw, he is realllllly good at these motors, if you go onto www.jrcbd.com you can get todds website. as far as hardware speedmaster is really good stuff or maybe andy at a/c may have some good advice on hardware and can come pretty close on a prop for that boat. so this is a quickdraw in a a/c hull, this is going to be a seriously fast boat. let me know if there is anything else i can help with

best one to ask about that quickdraw is todd at quickdraw, he is realllllly good at these motors, if you go onto www.jrcbd.com you can get todds website. as far as hardware speedmaster is really good stuff or maybe andy at a/c may have some good advice on hardware and can come pretty close on a prop for that boat. so this is a quickdraw in a a/c hull, this is going to be a seriously fast boat. let me know if there is anything else i can help with
John, I Will contact per above. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Good people on this site!

Bob

Yes the 100 octaine will do just fine, go with the hardware recomended by AC and ask for setup sheet. The holes left in the transome can be fixed useing a small f-glass patch and some gelcoat available from any marine store, they sell small repair kits about 15 dollars. You've got all the paitence nesisary for this sport being the owner of a beezzer, I had a B500MX back in the 70's, many times I wanted to get out a cat'o'nine tails and flog it, guess these days water boarding would work. Good prop 6719/3 blade your boat will be fast.

Yeah I loved that bike most beutiful bike I ever had but it droped a valve 3 times then found a guy who modded 351 winsor ford valve to work and she ran like it was made in japan. Three years later roller bering crank went and my dad said time for a honda, it still looks nice dads got it in basement maybe if he ever finishes his Indian inline he'll get around to it.

Back