"Heat Race" speeds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone would argue that today with better boats ,engines , props etc. it's easier for us to go fast but I think the biggest change over the last fifteen years or so has been the use of the internet.

When I started in this hobby you could only get info by word of mouth and that's only if people would talk lol , or you could spend a ton of money testing everything you could get your hands on..

Now you come to a website like I.W. and with just a little research and a couple questions you can find out what is working and what is not .

I believe this sharing of information has helped raise the average speeds and level of competition in our hobby more than anything else.

It's a great time to be in this hobby !!!

Tim K
Yes, the Internet has been a big help. My only source like many older guys here was Flying Models mag. Then I started racing and picked up info there. I started builing my first boat in 1973. First ran it in 74'. Started racing in 1978. Didn't win my first trophey until 1982. Nine years from 1st boat to 1st trophey. Designed and built my own boat in 83/84'. Won my first US-1 in 1986. Set my 1st record in 1988.

It's all fun though however much time it takes to learn, because it's the process of getting there that's the most fun anyway! :)

I don't think anyone would argue that today with better boats ,engines , props etc. it's easier for us to go fast but I think the biggest change over the last fifteen years or so has been the use of the internet.

When I started in this hobby you could only get info by word of mouth and that's only if people would talk lol , or you could spend a ton of money testing everything you could get your hands on..

Now you come to a website like I.W. and with just a little research and a couple questions you can find out what is working and what is not .

I believe this sharing of information has helped raise the average speeds and level of competition in our hobby more than anything else.

It's a great time to be in this hobby !!!

Tim K
Yes, the Internet has been a big help. My only source like many older guys here was Flying Models mag. Then I started racing and picked up info there. I started builing my first boat in 1973. First ran it in 74'. Started racing in 1978. Didn't win my first trophey until 1982. Nine years from 1st boat to 1st trophey. Designed and built my own boat in 83/84'. Won my first US-1 in 1986. Set my 1st record in 1988.

It's all fun though however much time it takes to learn, because it's the process of getting there that's the most fun anyway! :)
89 to 93 before my 1st place trophy, but then again I had your help, Brian Charney's and Jim Allen. :D A few others in the Northeast crew were Steve Garatano, Doug Twaits Sr. and Joe Boffa bringing the good stuff north. B)

Well here is another Twin/Single story. Atlanta I wanna say 2001? David vs David Jr, David Showers was driving a single CMB 90 Micro Burst,David Jr was driving my SG Twin 84 that Andy and my dad had built. While they were racing,Holly,David's wife shot the twin doing 96... the single 93 during the race.My friends from Bermuda have it on video...nice. That SG was slower in flat conditions,it loved to fight in choppy water.I wished we would have NEVER sold that boat,it drove like a Cadillac the fastest HEAT race boat I ever owned. Oh yeah I forgot,they were stock 84s if you can believe that...Thx to Andy and my Dad
Stan's twin ran 91 mph by itself with the first batch of MAC 67's.

I still have my original Silver head version Mac 67 with a blue head conversion (Thanks Don Ferette ! ) and it runs the best of all 3 I have . Great engine with mucho time on it !!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is a good read. I'm looking forward to running my first E and F hydros this season. No local D,E, or F boats to race with so I'll be spending this season honing my driving skills so I can be prepared to travel and compete next season.

Back