"Heat Race" speeds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Canto

Supporting Member
I know this post will not be well received by some......but.....All of these posts about hitting 90 and better in "heat race" trim as though it is something new have me thinking that maybe some of you think this is a new development. I remember in 1996 I radared Jeff Lutz's single engine F hydro IN ACTUAL HEAT RACES well into the 90's. I remember him winning F hydro at the Slidell races by winning SIX races in a row with perfect scores. That is TWENTY FOUR F-Hydro first place finishes in a row!!! In terms of a "heat race trim" boat running alone at a practice pond, I will not even post the speeds I have radared Jeff's boats at time and time again. Art Mc Means and Andy Brown have also run 90 in actual heat races over 15 years ago. This is in no way meant to take away from the hard work put in by those running those speeds at practice ponds today, that is a great accomplishment. I just wanted to let you know that some racers have been running well over 90 IN HEAT RACES for almost two decades.

Hey Eric! You trying to start trouble!? LOL Be easy on them... LOL. But Really! It's really great to see more people going fast.

But you are right. I remember helping Art McMeans break in a new pair of Picco 67's in his twin 67/80 Eagle at the 1994 St. Louis Internats.

It was HOT and sticky. The year of the BIG FLOOD. Those little Picco 67's were consistanly pushing that Eagle to 87+ mph in heat trim....and this was the FIRST afternoon that the boat ever saw water.

That was 18 years ago.

Props were old ABC 67X114's.

That reminds me! The Year before at the Huntsville Internats, I set a new IMPBA SAW record with a twin Picco 90 powered Eagle. 89 mph average with a one way pass @ 91 mph. That was @ 600 ft. altitude in AUGUST...at the internats where you only get one shot...not to mention it was my heat race set up. Again, ABC 67X114 props. That was 19 years ago!

I want to see more 90 mph twins! Post your videos! :)

Thank you for posting that Eric aint it the truth? Old school baby.

Last edited:
Hey Eric! You trying to start trouble!? LOL Be easy on them... LOL. But Really! It's really great to see more people going fast.

But you are right. I remember helping Art McMeans break in a new pair of Picco 67's in his twin 67/80 Eagle at the 1994 St. Louis Internats.

It was HOT and sticky. The year of the BIG FLOOD. Those little Picco 67's were consistanly pushing that Eagle to 87+ mph in heat trim....and this was the FIRST afternoon that the boat ever saw water.

That was 18 years ago.

Props were old ABC 67X114's.

That reminds me! The Year before at the Huntsville Internats, I set a new IMPBA SAW record with a twin Picco 90 powered Eagle. 89 mph average with a one way pass @ 91 mph. That was @ 600 ft. altitude in AUGUST...at the internats where you only get one shot...not to mention it was my heat race set up. Again, ABC 67X114 props. That was 19 years ago!

I want to see more 90 mph twins! Post your videos! :)
Hint, hint ABC 67X114. My 90 Mongoose came from Joe B with one of your 67X114's. Hold on baby. :eek: ==={}

I know this post will not be well received by some......but.....All of these posts about hitting 90 and better in "heat race" trim as though it is something new have me thinking that maybe some of you think this is a new development. I remember in 1996 I radared Jeff Lutz's single engine F hydro IN ACTUAL HEAT RACES well into the 90's. I remember him winning F hydro at the Slidell races by winning SIX races in a row with perfect scores. That is TWENTY FOUR F-Hydro first place finishes in a row!!! In terms of a "heat race trim" boat running alone at a practice pond, I will not even post the speeds I have radared Jeff's boats at time and time again. Art Mc Means and Andy Brown have also run 90 in actual heat races over 15 years ago. This is in no way meant to take away from the hard work put in by those running those speeds at practice ponds today, that is a great accomplishment. I just wanted to let you know that some racers have been running well over 90 IN HEAT RACES for almost two decades.
Eric i agree 100% with what you say, and by no means do we think this is something of a NEW accomplishment..But heres whats is amazing..
1)the 90mph stalker speed are done with Bone stock motors with 11 1/4 pipes length(very conservative)

2)this is the 3rd weekend this boat has hit the water

3)and most important is from back in the days as compared to now the twins are much more reliable, we are able to crawl at speeds down to 30mph and

excellerate to near 90 almost instantly

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric i agree 100% with what you say, and by no means do we think this is something of a NEW accomplishment..But heres whats is amazing..
1)the 90mph stalker speed are done with Bone stock motors with 11 1/4 pipes length(very conservitive)

3)and most important is the from back in the days as compared to now the twins are much more reliable, we are able to crawl at speeds down to 30mph and

excellerate to 90 almost instantly
15 years ago you had to make it happen for yourself. Todays engines have good port timings and sizes, and overall combinations. You probably should have said "With bone stock motors".

the australian boys need to join us here in the states...i remember the 2006 namba nats here in south florida..several of the guys from Aust was entered..the one name that

sticks on my mind was Grub

Heres some pics of the 2006 namba nats in south florida

Albert,Brett

Hope to be there at the next race in West Palm.

Will be fun to race you guys at 90MPH!

David

Eric and Mr lutz i agree with you 100% back then you did have to do everything literally yourself. today's motors are pretty decent and need little work to none. theres alot of twins that will run 90 MPH testing alone in the water but when y0u put 6 more boats in the pond your speeds will be slightly slower..

1)the 90mph stalker speed are done with Bone stock motors with 11 1/4 pipes length(very conservative)

3)and most important is from back in the days as compared to now the twins are much more reliable, we are able to crawl at speeds down to 30mph and

excellerate to near 90 almost instantly
Ok Brett, Alberts twin is running great, but I'm going to poke fun a bit....and point out some truths!

Is this statement to point out an "amazing" boat design or "amazing" engines/pipes/props?

If it's engines/pipes....

It only took CMB 20 years to figure out (with lots of help) how to build an engine that would run 90mph out of the box.... Oh, but doesn't Albert have those great Zoom carbs on those 80's? I don't think Charles would be happy to think that his carbs have not contributed to some extra power? Nice 11 1/4 pipe design CMB has there too! Years ago everyone was crying about HAVING to run muffled pipes and loosing power. I'm glad CMB realized my muffled pipe disign was so good that they decided to manufacture them and put their name on them. There is not one CMB designed pipe that would get that twin to 90mph!

If it is the boat that is "amazing"? .....well Stu has a good boat design and Albert did a fantastic job building his beautiful Carbon/ composit boat. I am very impressed with Alberts boat. I like the work and craftsmanship he put into it a lot.... no matter how good the engines are a boat won't run 90mph without being well built. Kudo's to Albert and Stu for that.

2)this is the 3rd weekend this boat has hit the water.

I guess you don't count WEEKDAYS as time in the water?

excellerate to near 90 almost instantly.

"more reliable" Ummmm ...didn't I just see Albert's twin loose an engine while making those 90 mph passes? And I noticed as did Stan Simpson.....looks like the boat had a pulling issue with those "exotic 1667''s. Not sure I'd call that good heat race trim. Oh! and Iv'e never seem Albert's twin run 30mph except for coming into the pits when the throttles are shutting down! Those slow portions of the run in the video are more like 50-60 mph.

I will say....as I know you guys have been trying for a long time to hit 90 mph with your twins...I'm glad you finally achieved your goal. Not really "amazing" though! Just a matter of working at it and paying attention to detail. Kudo's!!!

Some guys are now hitting on 100 mph in heat trim!...the next goal for many!

SOME HISTORY from when were taking your sabbatical from r/c boating Brett.

2000 IMPBA Internats in Iowa.

F HYRDO SAW Time trials.

1st place-Jason Pas Twin 90 SG/K-90's 95mph pass

2nd place- John Brown Twin 80 SGX-MAC 84's 93mph pass

3rd place -Bob Bjorkman Twin 80 SGX- MAC 84's 89mph pass

All three boats also finished well in Heat Racing.

First batch MAC 84's only weeks off the drawing board and the production line.

AMAZING? I don't know?

I remember watching the ballistic F-Hydros in places like Slidell "back in the day" as they say. I always wanted go that fast growing up. Now, like Jeff pointed out, it's easier with the parts available today. Hell even I can go some what fast now-a-days.

Eric your right, we ain't doing anything new but at least we are still having fun doing it.

I remember watching the ballistic F-Hydros in places like Slidell "back in the day" as they say. I always wanted go that fast growing up. Now, like Jeff pointed out, it's easier with the parts available today. Hell even I can go some what fast now-a-days.

Eric your right, we ain't doing anything new but at least we are still having fun doing it.
Your TWIN is looking awesome fast too Buck! Surely one of the next generation 100 mph heat race boats!

when i 1st saw a twin run it was joe warrens Picco 80 Twin RR. i said immediately i want one and made the switch.twins are awesome and fast im happy i get to race the class and got to love those CMB 101RS motors. thats the only class ill ever race..

no it aint you want a 90 twin and you have a twin 21 rigger you are going to run eventually too ;)

ya boy HUGH

Andy,

My twin runs better than I could have imagined and if I worked at it I might run those speeds.....BUT.......I would rather do it with a single.

Like Eric was saying, guys have been laying it down with +90mph "heat race trim" SINGLE engine boats for a LONG time.

I hear that 80mph is easy now in 20 and 40 hydro these days.

Andy,

My twin runs better than I could have imagined and if I worked at it I might run those speeds.....BUT.......I would rather do it with a single.

Like Eric was saying, guys have been laying it down with +90mph "heat race trim" SINGLE engine boats for a LONG time.

I hear that 80mph is easy now in 20 and 40 hydro these days.
Buck,

You do here that it's easy to run 80 with 21& 45

But we never see it!!!!!

Eric, over the last few years I have been using the truthalizer at just about every race i attend to check the end of straightaway and corner exit speeds during all classes and most heats, to date there has been only 1 boat to run over 80, actually ran 82 was T Foleys twin during a twin race and 1 twin ran 85 in open water last year. I have most of the data in my little black book of races from stock .21 outboards thru all the nito classes and gas,, I looked back in the book thyu last year and found a gas twin running alone in open water that came from the far side at riverview, "longgest side" that had one pass of 83. At the recent race in Brandon, most of the boaters that were interested in the speeds I was getting on the truthalizer were guessing way high on the speeds compared to the actual speeds I would show them.

JM2CW

dick

Eric, over the last few years I have been using the truthalizer at just about every race i attend to check the end of straightaway and corner exit speeds during all classes and most heats, to date there has been only 1 boat to run over 80, actually ran 82 was T Foleys twin during a twin race and 1 twin ran 85 in open water last year. I have most of the data in my little black book of races from stock .21 outboards thru all the nito classes and gas,, I looked back in the book thyu last year and found a gas twin running alone in open water that came from the far side at riverview, "longgest side" that had one pass of 83. At the recent race in Brandon, most of the boaters that were interested in the speeds I was getting on the truthalizer were guessing way high on the speeds compared to the actual speeds I would show them.

JM2CW

dick
I radared Toms' twin at the Brandon race at 89 mph during a heat with my calibrated stalker pro.

Back