GS480 Gas Tunnel Cowling facelift...new option available!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great. The only thing that worries me about the overhangs on the outside of the sponsons, is that it gives another surface to easily get caught on another boat, and makes it a bit easier for them to rip the top sheeting off your sponsons.

But killer work on the boat mate!!

Shane, to keep the prices above, I need 3 to 4 orders at a time to cut shipping costs from South Africa. Right now, I have these people on the list:

1) Ron Shaw- Need to know which cowling you need

2) Shane Bastick- Need to know which cowling you need

3) Maybe James Beasley will want one once he sees the pics below on his hull! haha

OPTIONS:

1) Full Carbon Fiber weave -epoxy cowling (brown colored cowling pictured below)- $195 plus exact shipping

2) 2k Primed with 4 layers of e-glass-epoxy cowling (like the primered cowl below)- $168 plus exact shipping

3) 2k Primed with 2 layers of e-glass and 1 layer of carbon fiber underneath- epoxy cowling (not pictured)- $142 plus exact shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Jame's hull with my cowling laying on top:

20130729_180432_zps5ba24fe9.jpg

20130729_180420_zps11bfa5fc.jpg

20130729_180400_zpsb1cf9614.jpg

20130729_180350_zpsd64e950d.jpg

20130729_180519_zps8fcecff8.jpg

Hi Guys,

First one for me on this forum.

Really appreciate all the kind words re product.

The maximum weight will be around 650 grams.

Suggestions from you would be appreciated.

I have included picture of my outboard.

My first attempt at this hobby, and really excited.

Also want to say it is all thanks to Wennie for his professional attitude,and help.

Will be ordering one of Mikes new GX 480 boats as soon as it becomes available!WP_000586.jpg

Kind regards,

Donald :)

Donald,

Do you have the resources to make high quality bevel gears for that lower unit? That may be something some others would be interested in! Mike

Sounds good Greg, I'll be in that, - Mike, - no 1 - full carbon weave is the 1 I would be after

Since they need to go overseas, talk to Donald directly and order through him. It will be cheaper for u that way. Mike

Greetings to Mike, Ron and anyone else who is currently running a GS480,

I realise this may be a little off the topic of this thread, but could I please ask for your recommendation for two things I am now getting to with the build of my boat.

1. What is a good starting height for the prop-shaft center-line, above the line across the bottom at the rear of the sponsons? (+/- 10 to 15 mm?) This will help me to mount the Lower mounting-bracket in an appropriate place against the transom.
  2. What is a good prop (make and code/size) to start with. I'll be running a 29.5 Quickdraw Pioneer on a Lawless lower.......and yes, I'll be applying the throttle carefully!!!

Any other advice on setup will also be appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Wennie,

Start at 0 degrees, bullet even with bottom of sponsons. Drill holes in transom so mounting screws will be at the mid point of adjustment. This will give you adjustment up and down to fine-tune your setup. Welcome to the GS480 users group!!!... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for this info, much appreciated!

Any suggestions on props ?

One that worked well on my 26 is the voodoo 7014 2 blade, abc 2714/2 I have, 6717/3 also. Any of these work to get you started Wennie and I am sure you will find something better,

Cheers,

Dion

Thanks Dion,

I have 2 or 3 props that are pretty much equal to what you're suggesting so I should be OK for the first test runs.

Cheers,

Hi,

I Have an Arrowshark lower with std 29cc G300PUM2. Haven't even started it let alone run. The gears have been ceramic coated for extra durability, but i understand they last pretty well. Anyone else have info on the Arrowshark lower?

Tony, That is the Full Carbon weave cowling...yes the pricey one! It sure does look great in person! Mike

On another note, the GX480 frame up kit has now been finished and is on its cut sheets!

Have been looking into it, and have an engineering friend in Cape town who has a sample gear. Might see him Saturday. Not really hassled at this stage. Also have sourced some good Koyo bearing samples. Have too many irons in the fire at the moment. If anything constructive happens soon i will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back