GS480 Gas Tunnel Cowling facelift...new option available!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, one of my customers in South Africa put me on to this cowling as a local friend of his made the mold and cowling for him. I contacted the gentleman, and he is willing to lay them up in white gel-epoxy eglass and as carbon fiber. The prices are looking good. I have one of each ordered and as soon as they arrive, I will post pics of both and have firm prices then. Another plus, its vacuum bagged! Should be a nice upgrade for the kit for those interested. I will keep everyone posted to their arrival! Mike, www.ml-boatworks.com

IMG_4255_zpsc55ce306.jpg

IMG_4256_zps3efaf18d.jpg

IMG_4254_zps0b803389.jpg

IMG_4253_zpscf02ab4b.jpg

Hi James, it's not from Dom. Another of Wennies mates. I will get one too, just got to get a kit first lol-

Yeah, i just looked at the YPC hull, and its not a Dominic cowl. Not sure where Wennie sourced the original plug, but I do feel the lower lip was added to the plug before to make it fit the GS480 properly. David, I will keep you posted on the cowlings. Shane, do you have a GS480 kit? Didn't know you had gotten one. Talk soon, Mike

Greetings from a wet and windy Winter’s day in Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi Guys,

Just another bit of information about the new cowl. Its mold has been made starting off with an old (used) cowl that I bought from Gabe around 6 years ago (when he was living in Germany) and which I had intended to use in a planned build of a gas F1 tunnel at that time. However the build never materialized because I purchased one of Dominic’s hulls which obviously came with it’s own style of cowl. So the cowl I got from Gabe sat up on my top shelf for 6 years gathering dust.

I don’t know the history of Gabe’s cowl prior to buying it from him but I do remember it having a label inside with an address in Canada!

I only raced in the gas F1 class for a few months with Dominic’s boat and then sold it. Then recently I decided to again join the growing class of gas F1 tunnel racers here at our club and purchased a GS480 kit from Mike Luszcz. (A really excellent kit by the way!) However I did not order a cowl as I already had the cowl from Gabe. Now we get to my friend Donald, who is totally new to model boats, but has extensive experience with fiber-glass, carbon fiber and Kevlar moldings and production. Donald had a look at my cowl and noticed a number of ‘imperfections’ and offered to use the cowl as a male-plug on which he would remove the ‘imperfections’ and make me a new cowl. The white cowl that you see in the photos that Mike published in his opening post above is the first product from Donald’s new mold.

Since then Mike and Donald have been communicating and the result is Donald’s undertaking to supply cowls exclusively to Mike.

Here’s a special note to Anthony and James above.

Please don’t be concerned fellows, I’m fully aware of the do’s and don’ts regarding use of my multi-plug boxes and I assure you that I only ever use one piece of equipment at a time from one plug-box! And I’ve used a big soldering iron on that plug box many times, without ever experiencing a ‘pooooof’ ! :)

Hello guys,

Just a quick update regarding the cowl for the GS480.

There will be 2 cowls available, one Carbon Fibre weave finish, and one Carbon fibre directional finish for spray finish.

They weigh maximum 600 gram.

Unfortunately there is a delay in the CNC of the Aluminium mould, and the first products were made mainly for testing.

I will be forwarding products to Mike within the next week.

Happy boating!

Hello guys,

There will be 2 cowls available, one Carbon Fibre weave finish, and one Carbon fibre directional finish for spray finish.

Unfortunately there is a delay in the CNC of the Aluminium mould, and the first products were made mainly for testing.

Happy boating!

WP_000565.jpg

WP_000570.jpg

Donald, I just shot you an email back. I will be away from the computer until the 21st, so I will reply to anything I receive then! Thanks, Mike

Hello guys,

Happy boating!
hey Donald what legg are you running

Hello guys,

Happy boating!
hey Donald what legg are you running
Hi Guys Its the new

Arrow Shark 2013 Billet F1 Outboard Dragon Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks brad

Arrow shark is a gear drive....how do they compare to lawless drives?

Tony

Gday

Im still looking as to what way Im going with a leg but not much feedback from anyone yet as to how good they are .

But they look great .Brad

Sorry I can't help, I'm the only guy running a gas ob at carrabean when I do lol, I got the ypc leg which seems to work good, but does not have a scale look if that is what you are after. I too look forward to reading some feedback on the AS leg,

Cheers,

Dion

Hey guys,

I just got my Dragon drive and it is a beatifull thing! I can't hardly wait to get it in the water.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back