GS480 Gas Tunnel Cowling facelift...new option available!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi David,

I have to agree, the AS-Dragon drive is a beautiful piece of mini-engineering ! I've had a good look at Donald's unit and it certainly looks well designed. It will be interesting to see how durable the bevel-gears prove to be. Let us know how yours performs once you've run it.

Regards,

Here are some pics of the Carbon fiber cowlings provided by Donald. As you can see, they are really nice! He is also pre-cutting them to properly fit the GS480 top deck curvature, and even include a carbon or E-glass (depending on which cowling you get) tongue included that is ready for gluing in place! Very well thought out! The first shipment of 3 cowlings was shipped today, and might be here by early next week. I will share more when they arrive as I have a build GS480 on site right now I can take pics with. Donald is also getting an Aluminum CNC mold made right now. The cowling looks like its gonna be a real great looking piece! Mike

WP_000572_zps6db319f5.jpg

WP_000571_zps6f553147.jpg

WP_000570_zpsbb7b8e0a.jpg

Here are some pics of the Carbon fiber cowlings provided by Donald. As you can see, they are really nice! He is also pre-cutting them to properly fit the GS480 top deck curvature, and even include a carbon or E-glass (depending on which cowling you get) tongue included that is ready for gluing in place! Very well thought out! The first shipment of 3 cowlings was shipped today, and might be here by early next week. I will share more when they arrive as I have a build GS480 on site right now I can take pics with. Donald is also getting an Aluminum CNC mold made right now. The cowling looks like its gonna be a real great looking piece! Mike

WP_000572_zps6db319f5.jpg

WP_000571_zps6f553147.jpg

WP_000570_zpsbb7b8e0a.jpg
Mike,

What will be the price for these cowlings? I would like one as well for my GS480. Thanks.

Hey Ron and James,

I am currently running the numbers on the two versions, and will have some prices soon. I just noticed Donald mentioned in this thread that both versions will be carbon fiber. One will be Carbon with visible twill weave (for those that do not want them painted) and the other a Carbon version with standard weave that comes primed and is made for painting. I was originally thinking there would be a gel coated E-glass version that would be low cost, but I think I was wrong. I am going to email Donald today about that and confirm. The carbon versions that I think he is offering are gonna be pricey, even at my cost. As soon as I can figure out how I am gonna handle the future cowling orders I will definitely let you know. I am basically gonna be offering these not much over my cost just so I can try and at least get them to a manageable price for most boaters as they just look so dang nice! Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet, As soon as they arrive I will put one on James' GS480 and shoot some pics. Mike

Mike send me and invoices as soon as you get the price and I will get it paid. I want one as soon at they come in. Thank you!

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share a few photos of my progress with Mike's great GS480 kit. I'm really happy to have completed all the cladding/gluing of panels to to the sponsons and center section, and this afternoon I've trimmed and sanded everything in readiness for gluing the sponsons to the center section tomorrow or over the weekend. I've just clamped the sponsons to the center section for the photos. I'll be starting with the radio, Lawless lower and QD engine installation next week. :) Getting really excited about running this boat!

IMG_4411 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4410 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4407 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4406 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4404 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4401 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4400 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4399 (Custom).JPG

Wennie,

Where did your transom inset end up measured from end of sponsons? Looks great... ;)

He has the 2" inset Ron. I think the main thing about his hull that is different than others is I had to cut his sheeting short so he could rebond long parts back together as South Africa required 42" or smaller package lengths. I also I did dove tails on the sponson keelson so he could rebond it easier. His center section is also 1/4" shorter so I could get the total center section length under 36" for ply cutting purposes. Anyone getting one of Donalds cowlings on their current GS480 will want to cut 1/4" forward in their cowling so it sits on the deck at the front correctly...not big deal actually (and I will try and do that per the order, just remind me!)

All new of the new GX480 kits (updated sponsons, lighter center section, full frame up design...design almost done) will have the center section already shortened so no one has to mess with the cowling in the future.

Oh Weenie,

Make sure to sand down those overhangs on the non trip and top deck, and it looks like the inside of the ride pad as well. They will need to be flush. I am guessing you have planned on doing that?

Boat looks great tho!

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your comments and here is my reply to a few points.

• Yes you are spot on with the sponson transom being 2” behind the center section transom.
  • I actually left the small (+/- 2 to 3 mm) overhang on the outside of the sponson deck and non-trip panels to provide additional side-impact strength. We race all our classes around a ‘M’ shaped ‘off-shore’ course, with up to 12 boats in a heat, and this often results in side contact between boats. So I’d like to leave those overhangs in place if that’s OK.
  • Mike you have very sharp eyes by spotting the much smaller (about 1 mm) overhang along the inside of the ride-pads. Again I did this for a reason which was to provide a more-pronounced ‘sharpness’ along that water-shearline. ( much like the JAE rigger kits from Zippkits have along both sides of their sponson-ridepads.) However, if you will explain the negative effect this could have on my boat’s performance, I will sand the remaining 1mm overhang away.
  • Finally, I and I’m sure many other gas F1 enthusiasts, are looking forward to see what the new GX480 will look like. I will be seeing Donald this weekend and am going to recommend that he orders one of these kits from you. I will be happy to assist him with such a build.
  • Ron, could you please let me know at what height above the line across the bottom of the sponsons, do you run the center of the prop ? (I’m guessing at least 10 to 15 mm ?)

Here’s looking forward to your further comments.

Kind regards,

Wennie, Sorry for not replying sooner. I actually like the look of the overhang on the outside sponson edge, but I a fearful that the 1mm overhang on the inside edge of the ride pad could lead to some bad hooking habits. I almost feel it will suck down the sponson and cause a hook. I have never tried that, so I could be wrong. Do I see where it is gonna help the boat turn better...no, therefore I would probably just rid of it. The thing to remember about a JAE, the good running ones (the .21's), ride on top of the water with a very lightweight...the gas tunnel is gonna be heavy with that big motor on the back, and that ride pad is gonna be in the water...so you see what I am getting at!

The GX480 is coming along well. I have all the sponson parts done, and I am working on the center section changes now. I just found another area to reduce weight in the center section this morning, so as a complete package, I think the changes are gonna be a great positive to an already great hull! Hopefully the frame up design will get people that have not had the equipment to build wood over foam feeling they can handle the build.

Anyways, the first 3 cowlings for the GS/GX480 arrived today, and I am overwhelmed at the quality. The carbon fiber work looks great, and it looks like Donald even clearcoated the two carbon weave cowls, however shipping rub marks will probably make buyers want to scuff and reclear coat, or at a minimum use a polishing compound and buff the surface. Donald included carbon fiber tongues for the front as well. The primed cowl is done in what looks like 2k urethane primer, and the cloth inside looks to be either a white weave carbon (if there is such a thing) or Kevlar, either way, its not typical Eglass, and it had plenty of strength. The Carbon cowling have INCREDIBLE strength. I tried to deflect the left and right sides at the same time, and they barely bowed at all...very impressive. I talked to Donald about a standard primed E-glass epoxy cowling for those on a budget, and he agreed he could offer that. I was also told all future cowlings will have a windshield like the primed cowling as the new mold will be done in this style, not like the two carbon cowls.

So, there are 3 versions available. From the initial numbers Donald has given me the next batches of cowlings will be sold for:

OPTIONS:

1) Full Carbon Fiber weave -epoxy cowling (brown colored cowling pictured below)- $195 plus exact shipping

2) 2k Primed with 4 layers of e-glass-epoxy cowling (like the primered cowl below)- $168 plus exact shipping

3) 2k Primed with 2 layers of e-glass and 1 layer of carbon fiber underneath- epoxy cowling (not pictured)- $142 plus exact shipping

All three include tongue assembly, buyer shall bond to their liking. These prices are costly, but I am offering these as cheap as I possibly can. I always still have the Zippkits Illusion cowl mold at $85 plus shipping for anyone on a budget! These prices are only this low if I always order at least 3 at a time, which is probably how I will handle it. I honestly am not sure you will find a quality part like this anywhere else, pre-fitted, for close to this cheap. I am just thankful Donald is willing to offer these. He is currently having a new mold CNC cut out of solid aluminum..that shows you how quality his operation is!

20130729_121059_zpscd01911e.jpg

20130729_121117_zpsac4a0f98.jpg

20130729_121131_zpsdda45eb4.jpg

20130729_121300_zps9d9b0f29.jpg

20130729_121315_zps6c394a38.jpg

20130729_121137_zps978eccd4.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments regarding the overhangs on my GS480. Whereas I will be leaving the outside overhang of the top-deck and non-trip, I am going to remove the 1mm overhang on the inside of the ride pad as I now realise the possibility of having a 'hooking' problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

Looking forward to see your first build thread on the new GX480 !

Kind regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back