Grimracer Safety Suit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Betke

Glad to see that you are practicing what you preach. I see the door to the outside is open as well. We have both commented in the past on IW about the safe use of epoxy, polyesters, CA and solvents. Ventilation and gloves to protect from skin absorbing chemicals are a must. For those that use epoxy with out gloves can clean uncured epoxy safely with Fast Orange.

Thanks for posting Jerry..

What you see is me outside. I have to have an outside work table for epoxy. I cannot use epoxy indoors. Cure has to happen out doors.

The turbine air delivery system is in the house two doors away from my work area.

So.. as you can imagine its late sep.. that means I have about 3 maybe 4 weeks of epoxy work time left. After that it will be to cold to do any epoxy work.

I epoxy something and then its 12 hours before I can approach the object. Takes FOREVER to build stuff.

PLEASE.. head ALL WARNINGS!

Grim

You must have a particular sensitivity to it, IIRC Andy developed a similar reaction to CA.

I've used epoxy all my life, used my fingers etc. to blend fillets and have no problems. I use lacquer thinner to clean it off my hands.
default_ohmy.png

Not sure about CA sensitivity as I have never used much in any of my building. Epoxy is nasty and polyimides are the devil..(Some finishing epoxies)

Get informed or risk what I have.. now It will never be better for me and this is my future of RC boat building.. not heed the warnings and it could be yours too.

SO SUCKS..

Want to just JB weld that pipe nipple in place.. not me.. space suit time!.. get it!

Grim

Not sure about CA sensitivity as I have never used much in any of my building. Epoxy is nasty and polyimides are the devil..(Some finishing epoxies)

Get informed or risk what I have.. now It will never be better for me and this is my future of RC boat building.. not heed the warnings and it could be yours too.

SO SUCKS..

Want to just JB weld that pipe nipple in place.. not me.. space suit time!.. get it!

Grim

Bummer, sorry Grim Dude.

Any idea how you got sensitized? I mean, did you use a lot of a certain product? Coat your hands in it? Sniff it as a kid?
default_laugh.png

LOL.. West Systems and Zpoxy Finishing resin.

I think what happen is I did not allow the epoxy to FULLY cure and then I sanded. (ya know.. we think its done.. but.. it states 12 hours and we are sanding at 8.. that kind of stuff.

that's part of it.. then using it in my shop with out good ventilation.. likely strike two..

Working with it for a living.. and having those around me using it (my last employer RND).. likely strike 3..

Not sure.. I do know my last employer said I needed a medical release to be recognized with a condition.. the drs could not diagnose.. I was F%$#@... they told me "to bad" we can not accommodate you.. Here I am in sunny Wisconsin! lol

Grim

Terry, I am not professing to be an expert on how to safely handle epoxies. The warnings on West System Epoxies caution that skin absorption is really a health problem along with the fumes during the curing stage. I always ventilate my workshop, use nitrile gloves and clean any uncured epoxy from my skin with Fast Orange. I made this decision after watching a couple of guys who did a lot of layups in their home workshops. They did not ventilate their home workshops or use skin protection and over time got very ill along with some family members. I am not telling anyone how to handle epoxies. I am just throwing out a caution that epoxies can be harmful if not handled properly.

I won't use Z Poxy, didn't work well for me. I do all my building with West Systems and, unless I've screwed something up, never had a problem. I also don't sand epoxy until at least the second day after it's applied and then, I normally have a vacuum hooked to the sander. Last time I sanded epoxy, it had been on the boat for roughly three years and it was done outside with a nice breeze.

Zpoxy finishing resin although the Devil works VERY well.. I would use it sometimes under a primer surface.. but never under a boat I was going to clear.

HEED ALL WARNINGS.. please............

Grim

That's quite a set-up you're wearing there Mike. Makes me wonder what I SHOULD, and should NOT, be doing in my garage
default_sad.png

Actually I've been looking around on-line for some sort of everyday respirator-type "mask" to wear while working around sanding-dust and glue/paint fumes?

Thanks for posting.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, I am not professing to be an expert on how to safely handle epoxies. The warnings on West System Epoxies caution that skin absorption is really a health problem along with the fumes during the curing stage. I always ventilate my workshop, use nitrile gloves and clean any uncured epoxy from my skin with Fast Orange. I made this decision after watching a couple of guys who did a lot of layups in their home workshops. They did not ventilate their home workshops or use skin protection and over time got very ill along with some family members. I am not telling anyone how to handle epoxies. I am just throwing out a caution that epoxies can be harmful if not handled properly.

Jerry gave me a heads up on working with epoxies in 1969 when I first started building toy boats, great advice!!! All my building of full sized boats was with wood & waterproof weld wood glue, no issues there. However I was very careful in my working and handle BeCu, which Jerry again was a great resource, when I first started doing props I had no idea how many I would end up doing over the years. Thanks again Jerry!

John

That's quite a set-up you're wearing there Mike. Makes me wonder what I SHOULD, and should NOT, be doing in my garage
default_sad.png

Actually I've been looking around on-line for some sort of everyday respirator-type "mask" to wear while working around sanding-dust and glue/paint fumes?

I use these from Home Depot:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Safety-NA/Safety/Product-Catalog/~/3M-Drywall-Sanding-Respirator?N=5927440+3294427677+3294529207&rt=rud

BTW, I hear CF is bad to inhale as well...

good discussion. my grandfather died from complications of Black Lung disease (coal worker's pnuemoconiosis) so I'm rather sensitive to the idea of being careless about what I inhale. also a big part of why I never took up smoking.

You can buy Fast Orange at any auto parts store or Home Depot / Lowes. Normally in the area were they shelve hand cleaners.

John, I was pleased to see that you and Mark take precautions when doing all the beryllium props that you both have done and still do. As you well know, a large number of machinists in our area got lung cancer from the beryllium dust before they knew it was harmful. A big thanks to both you and Mark for your help through the years in finding the correct props for our boats. Jerry

default_sad.png

I use these from Home Depot:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Safety-NA/Safety/Product-Catalog/~/3M-Drywall-Sanding-Respirator?N=5927440+3294427677+3294529207&rt=rud

BTW, I hear CF is bad to inhale as well...
There is a lot of good information available on line now days regarding the use and protection needed for most of the stuff we use in many hobbies. Made a lot of golf clubs with CF and of course all the CA gluing thousands and thousands of Bru Line antennas, we used to by the CA by the gallon.

John

Back