Great Planes Top Speed?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Pilgrim

I have the chance to pick up a GP Top Speed Tunnel, and have an extra engine (ok, a few extra engines) just laying around. Has anyone tried this hull, and how does it behave for sport running?

Thanks,

Pilgrim ;D

F.P.

The Great Planes Top Speed is a very popular hull. It is no longer available from Tower Hobbies.

It is a good running boat. I recommend sticking 5 oz. of lead in the nose of the front cowl. I built five of these boats in 2000 and took them to the IMPBA Internats for a IROC event. That was a blast.

Just be sure to keep raw fuel away from the plastic. This is especially true around the fuel tank compartment area.

Jerry D.

Jerry,

Thanks. I was hoping to hear that they handle well. I have one other ABS boat (Falcon), and like you said, the fuel has made the plastic brittle and it has a ton of cracks all over. I wonder if I'd be better off to fuel-proof it with a coating of Lustre-Kote clear.

Yep I agree with Jerry, I had two of them, bang for the buck award BIGTIME!!!

Gene ;D

Hey Tim,

Yep same thing here, storm system redevelops every afternoon, Guess we got it through Sunday by tonites forcast!!!

Sheeesh!!!!!

Gene ;D

Hi Guy's,

If the top speed hull is no longer produced does that mean I can make glass ones - with a more attractive cowl off course? ???

I was thinking about it anyway because it is a little bigger for a 21 tunnel than most and may handle the rough water we have here a bit better. Not a bad looking hull design - does anybody know who actually designed it?

GT 8)

GTR,

I have no idea who designed it, but I have to agree with you on the cowl. Something along the lines of the Dumas Sprints would look better. If this boat ran so well, I can't figure out why GP stopped producing it. When Tower was liquidating their stock they had them priced under 60 bucks :eek: . I should have bought a couple then!

Pilgrim

The GP Marine Top Speed was manufactured by Lanier RC Planes in Georgia. The design was done by some one that Bubba Spivey, owner of Lanier, knew.

Great Planes Distributors has discontinued the entire line of GP Marine model boats. The new line is called Aqua Craft. The first two Aqua Craft products are the 45 Airboat and the Nitro Hammer pull start .15 vee.

The project manager I work with at GP Distributors was considering doing an update of the Top Speed and then the news about O.S. dropping the 21 OB came out. Since GP likes to do "Combos"(boat/motor/radio) the inability to provide a motor threw the proverbial "monkey wrench" in that plan.

What the heck is a "monkey wrench" anyway. Don't know if I've ever seen a monkey use a wrench. I don't think I've even seen a monkey "around" either - as in "don't monkey around" with that needle-valve setting. Enough of this "monkey business." Wait a minute, what "business" do monkeys run?

Jerry D.

Hi JD,

Have you gone bananas ???

A monkey wrench would more accurately be known as a Stilson wrench - common use by plumbers. For use swinging off when working on pipes.

Do you think it is worth making a glass topspeed as a sport boat? The design actually looks like it would suit the use of a K&B OB better than with an OS. What do you reckon?

GT

RUN!!!! JD's been whiffin the nitro jug again!!!! :eek:

On the TopSpeed, I would have liked to see a updated version, although the original was great with a few mods.

Gene ;D

GT,

Re: Fiberglass version of Top Speed

Personally, I think you be better off to build something like my WOF 28 and splash it. Every Top Speed I built and I have build 6 of them was twisted. This is not unusual for a plastic boat.

But, I would not contest the fact that the Top Speed ran rather well.

Jerry D.

Hi JD,

I only asked because I have a topspeed that is not twisted. I think it may have run only once or twice. Are you suggeting that it would be OK for me to reproduce your WOF design in Glass? ;D

I really prefer glass boats but WOFs are also great. I'm just not a great builder. Have way to many boats and projects on the go and not enough time to get them all done. But I don't let that stop me - very tolerant wife.

GT 8)

GT,

I wouldn't have a problem with an individual making a fiberglass version on one of my hulls for his personal use. Marketing the boat using my name would be another matter.

J.D.

My LHS has had one on there shelf for over 3 years now, Same price, I have told the owner if he came down i would buy it. Has the OS 21 in it.

THe boat is VERY LIGHT IN Weight, I can not beleive it.

Maybe give it some thought, course alot going on with to much things, and no time

Back