GPS options (waterproof or not)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim van Schyndel

Just chasing different GPS brand/model options (review/opinion) for model boats and where to purchase. Happy with waterproof and non-waterproof models.

Looking for simple good value unit (Garmin to $$$$)

Cheers

Tim

Check out Herzog racing over on Jims they sell a unit called Voltron. Shows speed and other data logged info. Works great on receiver battery or small lipo

I use the skyrc GSM10 in a custom perspex box to keep it dry. I use hockey tape over the holes to access the various buttons and works fine.

A piece of thin Blue foam on one side gives added flotation if it flies of my boat when I flip it.

I can't seem to attach a photo of it for some reason for you to see it:(

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with most GPS units is that all the record is MAX speed... it's a one-shot deal, and may only be a moment in time.

I use an EagleTree V3 Data Logger with the GPS Module, which records up to 10-samples per second of GPS data and allows you to see the real speed over the entire run.

Pretty simple to setup. I simply used a 250mAh 2S Lipo plugged into where you would normally plug in the main battery on an FE boat, and the GPS Module. (I don't use if for anything other than GPS and Temps, so....).

Small, light-weight, and WAY more accurate than a stand-alone, "Max Spd" GPS.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXESUX&P=0

I have the Voltron and it works great but only records top speed. I got the Hitec lynx a while back and the GPS reads real time on the TX. Nice to see corner speed drop and mid course speeds. On my FE boats the temp sensor can be fixed on the motor or ESC. I haven't made a loop for the lipo's yet but it can be done. The Tx holds a top speed reading besides real time speed. On FE boats I see a top speed about 2 mph above average in the first pull on a fresh battery. Not cheap radio but it has the data I like to see.

Mic

Agree w Mic Love the Hitec Lynx

Realtime speed Can see changes w needle adjustments on the fly Great for prop testing

Back