Glue recommendations

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Gluck

Hello everone - I've got a newbie question.

I've just gotten into RC scale boating, and need some help with glue selections. I recently purchased a Dumas Dauntless Kit, for those of you who are not farmiliar, it a crusing yaght, all wooden 49".

I'm just getting started, gather my supplies, etc, and am not sure if I should use epoxy glue, or CA glue to assemble the hull pieces. The instructions ssays to use epoxy, but I tried a few sample peices and the epoxy didnt seem to work that well. I used the 5 min. stuff from lowes, and the instructions say its wooden friendly. Anyway the peices are 1/8 inch plywood, and have to be joined together on the seem. As you can imagine joing to 1/8 peices of plywood is not to easy.

So, should I use epoxy, or CA ?

Do I have the right epoxy?

Any recommendation on the best method of joing plywood peices?

As mentioned above I tred a few sample peices, and used clamps with paper between the clamps, and there was some paper resudue left over. This of course was going to have to be sanded, not a big deal, just a pain in the butt...

Thanks in advance....

-dg (newbie)

I like to stick things together with ca then go back and coat everything with West Systems epoxy. This strengthens the joints and water proofs everything. Five minute is not a good solution for building.

Mark

Mark - thanks for the help. I've decided to follow you suggestion. I'll tac the hull peices in place with CA, then follo-up with a coat of epoxy resin.

Thanks for the help

-dg

Use West Systems 205 hardener(Fast) with the West Systems 105 Resin. This should work great for covering the wood after it has been tacked with CA. I would only recommend 206 hardener(Slow) for large jobs that require much more setup time, such as laying up an entire fiberglass hull.

Yes, definitely use the pumps to mix this epoxy. They are cheap and well worth it.

By the way, in case you are interested. West Systems Epoxy can be purchased at West Marine. West Marine - You can check this site to use their Store Locator or order online.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorrilla glue!!! The stuff is completely waterproof, it actually soaks into the wood making it incredibly strong. Although kinda spendy you will not find a stronger glue. -_-

Phil :lol: :D B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back