epoxy or ca

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john schultheis

hi just wondering if i could get some input looking for a good glue i'm gonna be building another boat and i was looking for a good glue i've used CA and 2 part epoxies in the past and both seemed to have issues could i get some input on what people are using these days and what seems to be the best

Thanks

Hey John,

I use both ca and epoxy. Tack together with the ca and final set with West Systems epoxy. The West is wet enough to wick into the ca assembled joints making them stronger than the wood being held together. Sometimes if I have an area I have to sand or shape that requires some rough handling I will make some 15 minute epoxy and tack with that instead of ca.

30 min epoxy is a good choice. The longer the setup time the stronger the bond. CA is OK in some areas internal structure one can use fine Ca to quick set a piece ,the add a bevel of thick CA using gravity ,to get a weld like fillet. Zpoxey finishing resin is not a good choice,it discolors badly around nitro. Klass kote if you want colors or clear coat. West I have never used.

CA can get brittle over the years. if around nitro.

Back