Getting started in Gas Scale Hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Larocque

Hi

I am looking to get started in the Gas scale hydro class. We don't have that class here in Ontario YET but I have always loved the scale hydro class. I run gas T-boats now and really like the class. I have some questions for you guys. What are you running for motors? Big blocks or modded 26's? I have decided on a hull from ML (8255). How are you running your pipes? Is there a lot of room in the hull for the pipe? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted Phil Thomas for the cowl. What props are you turning? I hope to generate some interest in getting this class up and running up here so any help and advice would be great.

Thanks

Rick

Rick,glad to see more interest in gas scale.I believe you can pick up a lot of info on various gas scale threads in this forum.I think you can search for gas scale and find them.Even though the class is gas,you will find more info on this site than Jim's..Get back on here if your questions are not answered.The 8255 hull seems popular,and you should be able to get parts for it.I am presently starting to run a Bud T-6 gas scale.

Harvey Liberman

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of wood frame kits available. Remember, the old round nose designs are scaled from drawings that often are close to the actual boats with all their old time handling problems. Fixes may be needed.

The current engines with the most promise are probably the Quickdraw Pioneer 29 or the CMB 27. However, the Zenoah 29 cc, and RCMK 30 might be good choices when properly modified. I wouldn't run a 2 mm stroker crankshaft without a longer rod. That means a taller engine. Rear exhaust hybrid engines made from RCMK lower units need to have closed transfer passages to give reasonable piston life. Both the J&G and M&D cast cylinders can be used. The side exhaust engines can be made to fit many designs.

It will take several years before the best choices are sorted out. That's what makes the class exciting.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Yes, most all of the old round nose hulls I am very timid to adjust things as I know some of the smaller scales don't allow changes. The pickle for boats get total makeovers on the bottom side! If round nose hulls can be changed on the bottom then I would consider updating some of them, just don't want anyone upset cause their frames are not legal! Mike

Where abouts in Ontario are you Rick? I'm in Ontario as well. See video's from my gas scale here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgV2p7dosQ

Where abouts in Ontario are you Rick? I'm in Ontario as well. See video's from my gas scale here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgV2p7dosQ
Hello chinslip, you need to add full name to you signature line please as per the new rules. If you have any difficulty we can assist. thanks. :)

I suggested to Rick that he search this forum for gas scale info.All of his questions have been on various threads this past year.I noticed that Rick has only posted on IW 3 times and might not be able to use the best words or phrases in the search function,so I tried it myself.I could not locate any of the good threads from this past year.What do you expect,I'm just learning to use my new smart phone! Could someone familiar with the search procedure post the Key words for Rick and others who may want to find out more about the gas scale class?

Harvey

I did the search thing and came up with my own thread using 2 different topic titles so I quit hoping the scale guys would be interested in helping a newbie out with their experience.

Rick

Rick,I believe if you key in "Phil Thomas gas scale"it will get you to the gas scale threads.There is a lot of reading there.

I have to agree with you on that. i am very impressed with ML's variety of hull kits and his reputation for quality is second to none. I will be ordering in the near future.

Rick

Latest posts

Back