gas tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twice the cost and a little fragile, they break a lot of parts, and are hard to get consistent, and heavy as hell.

twice the cost and a little fragile, they break a lot of parts, and are hard to get consistent, and heavy as hell.
Hi Mike, I respect your views on gas tunnels, and accept that to a varying extent, your comments are true.

• If one adds the cost of a leg (lower), and a ServoCity gearbox for steering you will probably be getting close to twice the cost of a cat or a mono.
  • I'm not sure I agree about the tunnels "breaking a lot of parts", I've raced my gas tunnel hard for a lot of the last year and have only broken one flexshaft!
  • I think any boat format requires a fair amount of set-up testing before it runs like you want it to.
  • Yes, due to the heavy OB lower, these boats are heavier than normal but that doesn't necessarily present a problem for the boat's performance. My ML-Boatworks GS480 weighs in at just over 22 pounds but it runs great!
  • One thing I can assure you is that to pilot this hull format is the most satisfying and thrilling of all classes when it runs well, and even more so when you win races with it!
See the video below of our first F1 gas OB heat last Saturday.

The video below shows the first 11 laps of the 15 lap heat. From the start my boat (#14) was in second place chasing the leading #8 tunnel (light yellow and blue) being piloted very well by my good friend Shaun Gulliver. I finally passed Shaun on lap 9 on the outside of the main straight and then pulled out a comfortable lead which I held to the end of the race. On this kind of water (light to medium ripple) my ML-Boatworks GS480 has a definite speed advantage over all the other boats which are locally molded hulls with considerably deeper tunnels and rough-water resistant sponson design which handle the rough water very well while my GS480 is unable to run competitively in the 6” waves from our strong South Easterly wind. Unfortunately heat 3 and 4 were run in rough water conditions (the South Easter came up strong around midday), and my boat was unable to run with the rest of them.

My son André was taking this video and he stopped on lap 11 to take a few nice photos with his stills camera.

I'm just starting with the new project to build my THOR470 kit and it will be interesting to see how it compares with the GS480's handling. But it will be at least another 2 or 3 months before it's completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mGytqbk86Y&feature=youtu.be

I don't see one being less consistent then a nitro .cost is more but in cost for nitro field equipment your almost equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my experience, yours may vary, spent a lot of time with them and never felt like it was worth trying to race it. Blow one over at 60+ and you will break some parts.

Im just trying to decide if i want to build one or not
I am building Tunnel, cost is a factor in any hobby. My last hobby was very costly DragBike Racing. So when i order parts now it's $30-40-50-70-100. Instead of $400-700-1500 or more. Fuel $85 5gal tire $250 Nos refills on a big refill bottle $67. It's Hobby it should be fun for you. If a Tunnel looks like fun so be it, some people jump out of air planes and pay to do that and call that fun.

I just retired from promod dragbike racing so i very very well know the cost .what series did you run we ran mirock and i tuned kenny Cornnell to a championship in the 4.60 class .had to stop because im allergic to rubber

I have to chim in I have an Insane gas tunnel it as fast as any in the eastcoast and it handles great.

it is one of the most consistence boats, and not sure where you guys are buying nitro tunnel parts from

but my 40 mod boat will cost as much as the gas and will make me pull my hair out trying to get it to run

but if you are looking for a great deal my racing partner Matt has his gas tunnel for sale and it has all the good stuff

and its a woodstuff hull

greg

In the 1yr and a half i have been into this i now have 2 .21 tunnels a .45 and a .67 tunnel ..2 nitro cats and one gas cat .i love the tuning challenge of nitro but the gas is so easy to run .thats why im thinking about one plus i enjoy the building

Just my experience, yours may vary, spent a lot of time with them and never felt like it was worth trying to race it. Blow one over at 60+ and you will break some parts.
Mike,

These gas tunnels have come a long way in just the last three years. We have figured out what was breaking shafts and how to better protect the other parts in a blow over. The class is growing like crazy. Stay tuned.

waiting on a reply from carl as to when I will receive my gas thor. our first race is February 28 march 1. time is getting short. hope it is soon.

Well said Ron, I totally agree! I trust you saw my video in post #3 above?

Cheers,

Wennie.

I just retired from promod dragbike racing so i very very well know the cost .what series did you run we ran mirock and i tuned kenny Cornnell to a championship in the 4.60 class .had to stop because im allergic to rubber

Hi Michael . I have run with NHRA Summit Pro-Star MDRA PSCA class I ran in was Top Gas . I raced all over the South West Carls-Bad Pomona LACR Tucson Speedworld Sac The Strip in LV

LEFT SIDE TOP GAS BIKE 7060.bmp

Attachments

• LEFT SIDE TOP GAS BIKE 7060.bmp
    4.5 MB · Views: 95
I miss the top gas days always went home with the rods still in the motor but after running 30lbs of boost or running a 46 nitrous jet its hard to go back .also if you look on ape web site for the kz section the nobar bike pictured is us

IMG_212482857667932.jpeg

IMG_71949282808779.jpeg

Nice looking bike I two buddies that run Funny Bikes <<< huge money pits . And now now real class to run them in . That's one reason I stopped racing . On West Coast there was no real org for top Gas . We ran a big square system for blue bottle 36x36 . The real thing I have left after selling bike last year is my NJK leathers . But i still have quick street bike . Better chop this off don't want to get somebody hacked off as this not Rc Boating stuff . you can contact me by PM .

BIKE SHOW BEACH BURGER.jpg

Mike,

These gas tunnels have come a long way in just the last three years. We have figured out what was breaking shafts and how to better protect the other parts in a blow over. The class is growing like crazy. Stay tuned.
so i should hold on to mine a lil longer then ron?

Back